Proper Care and Cleaning of Vinyl Records...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
I am very curious how most of you care for and clean your vinyl record collections. Back in the day, when I used to have a vinyl record collection, I used to Preen them with a preening solution and a preen-er, prior to playing any record album. I also used to use a very fine 'model paint brush' to wipe off the lint and dust from the needle before playing any vinyl LP album or 45 record. I found this informative technique for caring for a vinyl record collection during a recent Google search:

http://members.tripod.com/~Vinylville/clean-2.html

Do you concur with this method of vinyl record care? or do you have a better technique of caring for your vinyl records? ;)

Microwave?

Jeff Zaret said:
I microwave mine so I kill all the imputies on the vinyl and all the bad music that may be on them too. :eek:

Jeff :rolleyes:
Jeff,

Are you serious? Really? Wouldn't the microwave warp or bend the vinyl records? How long do you microwave them? Seriously, you really microwave them... :confused:

Gotcha!!! :D

The microwave would work like we used to do with the oven to make large ash trays out of the albums. :rolleyes:

I have the old Discwasher system, the Mark Hunt brush and also Groove Glide that I use on my albums. Most of my albums are in great shape because I have taken the effort over the 40 + years. :)

Jeff :cool:

Excellent car and treatment...

Jeff Zaret said:
Gotcha!!! :D

The microwave would work like we used to do with the oven to make large ash trays out of the albums. :rolleyes:

I have the old Discwasher system, the Mark Hunt brush and also Groove Glide that I use on my albums. Most of my albums are in great shape because I have taken the effort over the 40 + years. :)

Jeff,

I sounds like your record collection is awesome and you've really taken excellent care of your collection as well. What solution do you use in your discwasher?

Robin said:
Jeff,

I sounds like your record collection is awesome and you've really taken excellent care of your collection as well. What solution do you use in your discwasher?

I think he uses Cascade in his dishwasher.

Robin, I read your linked article and it reminds me of what I did back in my College days. I don't agree with using regular water at all, filtration alone is not enough. The best process is that of reverse osmossis, which totally removes all minerals, impurities, etc.

I personally use Disk Doctor fluid, along with Allsop's Orbitrac - 2, light cleaning is done with a Care 2+2 brush. In extreme dry months I utilize my zero-stat gun.

Do you have any of your vinyl left from youth ? If so come and join the fun, there more reasonable and good sounding turntables out today then ever !!

My LPs have been acquired before 1987 and all have been bought new. All have been treated with either Sound Guard or Last record preservatives, after thorough cleaning with a carbon fiber brush (first a Decca and later a Statibrush). I have always been very careful in their handling, so they are pretty much in pristine condition, protected by inner sleeves !

However, for close to twenty years, I almost completely stopped listening to vinyl, fed up with the hassle of record cleaning combined with problems of static electricity during winters (I had no humidifier at the time!): it took me forever to prepare each LP side before actual listening ! :(

Now than I'm back into vinyl, and because my records have been kept in excellent condition, I simply use the Statibrush to keep the records clean. From time to time, I also apply Stylast on the stylus. Having a humidifier allows me to enjoy vinyl again ! :)

That's it ! Nothing fancy, but it works ! If I ever resume collecting again, I would probably invest in a washing machine like a VPI 16.5 !

Cheers !

Robin,
I use the Discwasher solution with the brush. I bought 2 bottles for 2cents at Guitar Center, really!
I also use the Groove Glide solution.

I have used a mixture of water and isopropal but I am lazy and that is too much work because you have to have well filtered water and what comes out of my faucet is extremely alkaline.

Some of my records have not faired as well as others. Some of the ones I have treasured over the years from the 60's sound really scratchy but it is the memory not the fidelity when I decide to listen to those.

Kalier,
If I make it to April, I too will be 53. :eek:

I bought my dad a VPI 16.5 for Christmas a few years back, it is awesome! Does an outstanding job of cleaning records.

I used to have a Nitty Gritty 1.5 as well. It did OK, but no where near the control of the VPI.

I used VPI or the OEM Nitty Gritty fluid. I thought about trying some of the recipes floating around, but no place to get the chemicals around here.

Simple (Not)

All albums, both new and new to me, are cleaned with a Nitty Gritty machine using a DIY solution of 91% isopropanol(12 oz), Woolite OxyDeep (2 oz) in 1 gal of distilled water. Albums are cleaned with a CF brush then scrubbed with the cleanig solution. Really dirty albums are cleaned with straight OxyDeep, then cleaned with the solution and vacuumed dry. Every album is cleaned with an AQ CF brush before every play. Really simple and effective!

dyazdani said:
I bought my dad a VPI 16.5 for Christmas a few years back, it is awesome! Does an outstanding job of cleaning records.

I used to have a Nitty Gritty 1.5 as well. It did OK, but no where near the control of the VPI.

I used VPI or the OEM Nitty Gritty fluid. I thought about trying some of the recipes floating around, but no place to get the chemicals around here.

Hi,
I also use a VPI 16.5, and it works wonders, especially on old, dusty records you thought were trashed. Another thing I have found helps is to replace any plastic inner album liners with paper. The plastic ones generate lots of static electricity when removing/inserting the album, and then the album becomes a dust magnet.

Peter

Peter Hogan said:
Hi,
I also use a VPI 16.5, and it works wonders, especially on old, dusty records you thought were trashed. Another thing I have found helps is to replace any plastic inner album liners with paper. The plastic ones generate lots of static electricity when removing/inserting the album, and then the album becomes a dust magnet.

Peter
Pete, I use the Mobile Fidelity Master Sleeves which are of Archival quality and claim to be anti static and anti scratching. so far so good for me !

Robin said:
I am very curious how most of you care for and clean your vinyl record collections. Back in the day, when I used to have a vinyl record collection, I used to Preen them with a preening solution and a preen-er, prior to playing any record album. I also used to use a very fine 'model paint brush' to wipe off the lint and dust from the needle before playing any vinyl LP album or 45 record. I found this informative technique for caring for a vinyl record collection during a recent Google search:

http://members.tripod.com/~Vinylville/clean-2.html

Do you concur with this method of vinyl record care? or do you have a better technique of caring for your vinyl records? ;)

Exactly how anal do you want to be about cleaning your records?
Go to the Vinyl Forum on AUDIO ASYLUM, type in "cleaning" next to "text to find:"
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

You'll pobably get more information then you'll need to know :)
Have fun!

Last edited:
I also use a VPI 16.5 with the VPI solution. I use the Hunt brush prior to each playing. Most of our acquisitions these days are from garage sales and I have been shocked at how successfully the VPI cleans nasty old records! I plan to experiment with cleaning solutions once I tire of listening to my new Ayre U2.

I wish...

twich54 said:
Do you have any of your vinyl left from youth ? If so come and join the fun, there more reasonable and good sounding turntables out today then ever !!
Dave,

I wish I hadn't donated my entire 200 plus album record collection to my work's yard sale, about four years ago... I'll admit it, really one of the stupidest things I ever did. I am still very mad at myself for having done it... :mad: It was one of the very first things sold the whole collection was purchased in it's entirety by a very excited and grateful record enthusiast, along with my old MGA TT... :cool: Oh well, it was a wonderful collection too... :( Unfortunately, if I ever re-start with vinyl again, I would have to start from the very beginning... :rolleyes: But folks like yourself, Kaliar, Jeff, Peter, risabet, Magoo, Warsweb and many others here I am seriously considering re-starting in the future. ML Club members here all seem to have beautiful TT's and phono amp.'s along with their excellent vinyl collections. I am envious, although very inspired to see vinyl flourishing with ML Club owners.

I purchased (about 10 years ago) a record cleaning machine (vaccum) from Audio Advisor (Record Doctor) for $169 (now $199), a must for you record show goers. Wish I bought a better one for twice the money in retrospect.

I have an "Orbatrac", but I really don't see what the big deal is - works, nothing to rave about.

The big secret in great record cleaning is steam (must be used with either Orbatrac or record cleaning machine).

I have a portable travel sized steam cleaner (from the wife) which works wonders. Avoid the lables. My pint sized unit does not get very hot - could never burn you, and you have to really work it to get it to warp the record (flattens out on it's own once on the cleaning machine).

My current method on a newly purchased worn record or one of my oldest roughest samples is to clean in on the Record Doctor cleaning machine. Then steam clean it, put it on the Record Doctor machine and clean again (full fliuids and brush - typical). If this just does not do the trick, I'll pull out the Orbatrac.

Once upon a time; I steamed cleaned first, and went straight to the Orbatrac before going to the Record Cleaning Machine - wow you could really see all the crud then on the Orbatrac pads..

Once cleaned, I don't clean again for at least a year, but will use my Zerostat gun and carbon fiber brush to keep the record clean.

Also important to keep the needle clean, turn down the volume and use the "LAST" stylus cleaner and application brush.

I'm also a big fan of the Cardas degausing record and tube phone sections, somehow they work together to relax the whole playback system.

Some people claim to get good results with CD's using record treatment tools. They used the Zerostat gun on CD's, and play the Cardas record to tune-in or warm up the entire playback chain.

Remember, nothing cleans like STEAM .

If you want a theory to go along with this here is one: Every time you play a record the contact point of the stylus (just for an instant) heats up and melts the vinyl (cools back down in a micro second as well). The only way to get the dirt out is to losen it up with heat or warm water.

There is some evidence that mold is the real problem - even if you cannot see or smell it. Ever hear of "old moldy records"? There are now bio-cleaners designed to eat the mold but not the vinyl. The mold may grow over the dust particles making a big microscopic mess for your stylus to magnify.

Kach, Interesting approach, thanks for the info. I have been pretty anal with my Lp's over the years so it's preety easy keeping them clean. the point you made about the stylus is a good one , also the surface area that it contacts the record in might be small but the effective force per Sq in is rather large .

The steamer I use looks similar to this one (different in some ways) - but without the brush. Makes me wonder if the brush would be a good idea if soft enough.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Appliances___Clothes_CareEC771?Args=

Dual-Voltage Fabric Steamer with Adaptor Plugs

Steam away wrinkles quickly and effectively without the need for an ironing board. This compact, lightweight, dual-voltage steamer uses regular tap water and powerful steaming action to remove wrinkles from clothes without scorching or shining. Safe for all fabrics (even delicates), it has a water level indicator, baffle system to prevent hot water spillage, brush attachment for extra garment care options, foldable handle and handy travel pouch. Includes the four most commonly needed adaptor plugs. (7 x 4 x 2"; 17-1/2 oz)
ec771_dt.jpg

Back