Proper Care and Cleaning of Vinyl Records...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious.... several of you have stated that you use the Stylast cleaner, do you use it alone or in conjunction with the 'Stylast' preservative. They are actually two different products as well as different types of brushes for application.

HI All,
To follow up on twitch's question, I'll add one of my own. Last makes Stylast, and a Stylus Cleaner. Stylast is a stylus treament. This is the product I use. Their cleaner is different yet it seems the two products are being referred to without distinction.

Last record preservative and Stylast stylus treament are designed to work as a team and that's how I use them. What are you folks talking about? To be clear, in this thread I have not referred to the cleaner which I do not use; only the Stylast stylus treatment product.

We need to get this straight.

Sparky

Sparky, since you don't use Stylast Stylus cleaner, which product / method do you use ??

Keith Monk vs Loricraft Machines...

I have records in my collection that I have owned for more than 40 years. In addition, I have acquired many records of similar vintage (Shaded Dogs, Merc FR and RFR1's, London bluebacks, etc).
I have used a faithful VPI 17F for about a decade with various cleaning solutions. However, I always lusted after a Keith Monks Record cleaning system because unlike the solid brush based systems, it had the ability to peform groove-by-groove cleaning in both directions. It is still available but extraordinarily expensive.
Last year I discovered the Loricraft PRC-3 cleaning system which bears considerable resemblance to the Keith Monks. You can check this system out at http://www.smartdev.com/loricraft.html. It can be used with a variety of cleaning fluids which are also available from this site. I cleaned a record with the VPI first and played it and then cleaned it once more with the Loricraft. The reduction in surface noise was not subtle.
This, however, is just the beginning. Many records are warped which unfortunately gets in the way of the listening experience. Music Direct sells the solution to the "warp" problem-- the AIR TIGHT - DT-01 DISC FLATTER. It will set you back about $2K so you have to decide how much of a warp problem you have. It definitely works!
Record storage plays an important role. Records need room to "breathe" to avoid storage warping. In addition, they should be placed in static-free sleeves such as those from Mobile Fidelity. I also recommend loose-fitting plastic sleeves for the record jackets to protect the sleeve and further retard the entry of dust into the record jackets.
Finally we get to the playback. I agree with the stylus cleaning fluids (Stylast for example) or even better Zerodust. But the stylus needs proper counterweighting, offset, and tracking angle adustments. The turntable also needs to be properly isolated to avoid feedback muddying up the sound.
You can watch the ritual of setting up your playback system on Michael Fremer's fine DVD.
babydoc,

Fascinating information... :cheers: They sure look impressive for cleaning records.

Attachments

• Keith Monks - Cleaning Machine.jpg
    Keith Monks - Cleaning Machine.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 374
  • Lori Craft PRC3.jpg
    Lori Craft PRC3.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 347
  • Lori Craft PR3.jpg
    Lori Craft PR3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 408
Sparky, since you don't use Stylast Stylus cleaner, which product / method do you use ??

HI twitch (not itch),
I use the "stylus treatment" which is called Stylast System Formula 5. The cleaner is a different product.

I apply Stylast to the stylus just prior to setting the sylus down on the record. I wish their brush was bigger but I guess I can't have everything.

The claim on the package (I have an unopened package) is it extends styus life up to 10 times. I can't vouch for that number but I do think it extends stylus life quite a bit.

Sparky

Sparky, FYI, I spoke with the folks at the "Last Factory' (925-449-9449)this afternoon to confirm the correct procedure for proper stylus 'health' with respect to their products and they told me that the 'Stylast' treatment should be used in conjunction with their stylus 'cleaner'.

I'm sure they want all to use their cleaner but it was reiterated that the Sylast treatment is NOT a cleaner and that it is important to CLEAN the stylast first, then apply the treatment.

Hope this clears up any confussion for those who may have been following this thread.

For Robin

HI twitch,
Good info. I'll give their cleaner a try.

Robin, I said I would get you the formula for my record cleaning solution. As I said, it is not fancy or complicated. Here it is:

For 1 quart solution:
In a quart bottle mix

20% 99% pure isopropyl alcohol; available at any large drug store.
10 drops Photoflow for wetting; find at any camera store
4 drops Windex
Fill the bottle with ordinary distilled water.
Shake and you are on your way

Bake for 2 hours at 450 degrees, cool then frost.....just kidding.

I'll never claim this is the best possible mixture. I refuse to get into a discussion concerning the various different solutions people conjure up. That's the road to madness. This works for me. My prime objective is to remove the mold release agent on the record. Dirt is removed in the process.

Sparky

Wonderful...

HI twitch,
Good info. I'll give their cleaner a try.

Robin, I said I would get you the formula for my record cleaning solution. As I said, it is not fancy or complicated. Here it is:

For 1 quart solution:
In a quart bottle mix

20% 99% pure isopropyl alcohol; available at any large drug store.
10 drops Photoflow for wetting; find at any camera store
4 drops Windex
Fill the bottle with ordinary distilled water.
Shake and you are on your way

Bake for 2 hours at 450 degrees, cool then frost.....just kidding.

I'll never claim this is the best possible mixture. I refuse to get into a discussion concerning the various different solutions people conjure up. That's the road to madness. This works for me. My prime objective is to remove the mold release agent on the record. Dirt is removed in the process.

Sparky
Sparky,

The formulas sounds like it will do the trick for the proper care and cleaning of records. :cheers:
:D Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help and assistance. :D

Record Washer Machine...

I just found this Active Audio - SB1 Record Washer Machine... :D I'll bet this could clean anything right down to the bear bone or vinyl... ;)

Attachments

• Active Audio - SB1 Record Washing Machine.jpg
    Active Audio - SB1 Record Washing Machine.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 393
  • Active Audio - SB1 - inside.jpg
    Active Audio - SB1 - inside.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 400

Latest posts

Back