Prodigy vs. MBL, James is the Man...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
Today I went to James’ (Pcar928fan) home to listen to his audio system. I left feeling I made a new friend. James, you have one heck of an audio system and a beautiful home!

This was my first exposure to the Prodigy and the Ascent speakers and I was mightily impressed. James has a remarkably flexible system in that he could run it in seven channel mode, or two channel Prodigy, two channel Ascent, or six speakers, all in two channel mode! The other speakers in his system I think were the Theater and Scripts. The Prodigies definitely sounded nicer that the Ascents when running each in stereo mode, but the best sound was when all speakers were used. The dynamics were stunning!

After listening for a while, we moseyed over to listen to his new MBLs (101A’s), which were in a different room. They definitely had a different sound than the MLs. It is difficult for me to try to explain what I heard. They were very dynamic and very clear but the apparent bass may have suffered slightly (note that his ML system also had a ML Descent subwoofer), possibly due to positioning directly beside a sofa or that there was no wall nearby. However, when a bass drum was whacked I think I actually twitched from the sonic impact, so maybe the bass isn’t lacking at all! Of special note, these speakers take you from your environment into the recording’s environment in such a magical way that you don’t even think of the instruments as sounding correct or not, but just marvel at the presentation. I believe these to be the finest speakers I’ve heard to date. James, I get first dibs when you decide to ever sell them! (As if!)

James has other hobbies and he shared two of them with me and I enjoyed my entire visit. I found out that we liked a lot of the same things and have some shared experiences. Thanks James for your hospitality and for inviting me to your home. - Steve

Thanks James for your hospitality and for inviting me to your home. - Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words! They are appreciated!

I feel the same way my friend! You are welcome at my place ANY TIME!! REALLY enjoyed having you over and sharing the many stories of our shared hobbies together! :cool:

I look forward to your help and support at the race track sometime next year when I can get the car, trailer, and R/V all dialed in and working properly at the same time!!! ;)

This is a forum of WONDERFUL people, most of whom are friends you just have not met live and in person yet!

BTW, Austin area members we need to have a little gathering here at the house sometime soon!! I have a grill and some steaks, you guys bring the sides and the drinks! Bring some music you like too! LP, iPod, CD, whatever! We will make a party out of it!

Look forward to getting you closer to the area Steve, and then in a couple of years all the way to Austin proper (or Georgetown, one of my favorite towns!) :rocker:

Hey James,

Man, I'd so love to hear those MBLs (and to see your cars too)! I think next year's Annual Get Together should be in Austin! YEAH!!

Tom.

Man, I'd so love to hear those MBLs (and to see your cars too)! I think next year's Annual Get Together should be in Austin! YEAH!

Bring it on! I am all about it! We have a lot of good ML folks here in the area and some nice 2 channel and HT set ups based on our beloved ML speakers right here in the area!

Joey, we had a great visit! Lots of fun! Lots in common!

It takes a lot to impress me,too.

Thanks Steve, most kind! The pleasure was mine indeed!

Any of the rest of you crazy MLO folks who come to Austin BE SURE and let me know! More than happy to have you out to the house for a listen! :rocker:

Thanks Steve, most kind! The pleasure was mine indeed!

Any of the rest of you crazy MLO folks who come to Austin BE SURE and let me know! More than happy to have you out to the house for a listen! :rocker:

You know I'll be down there someday! Perhaps when I interview for residency towards the end of this year!

Joey :D

You know I'll be down there someday! Perhaps when I interview for residency towards the end of this year!

Joey :D

Come on down Joey! We would welcome you in Austin! We have Pedi, IM and FP residency programs as I understand it...oh, OB/Gyn too I think. I don't personally call on the teaching hospital (there is no med school located here, just the residency program) but I have met several of the students over the years doing rotations through offices I call on.

Back