In big need of help running the PBK software for my new BF 210. can anyone help me?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I downloaded the ARC Genesis software from this page:
ARC: Downloads (anthemarc.com)

When I run that it recognizes my subwoofer just fine. But then it cant find the PBK microphone. So I remember that I have to use the serial number somewhere. THe instructions that come with the PBK seem to be outdated because the procedure they describe seems to no longer exist. The PBK directions say to "right-click on the downloaded zip file and extract to the desk top". The only file I see download is one that has my serial number and is a .CAL file. I cant figure out what to open that with. Looked all over. It doesnt seem to be a traditional ZIP file.

So I am stuck with a useless microphone at this point. At first it looked like I would input the serial number in the Arc Genesis app, but apparently thats not the case and I need to do something before the app even recognized the mic? So right now all I have is that CAL file. Ive got a copy of that sitting in a folder.

I know a lot of you guys have done this. I never knew I was so clueless! I cant just call Anthem or ML for help. Wish I could.

So in Genesis Arc it recognized my sub and takes me to the next screen where you are supposed to select the mic you want. The PBK mic I have will not show on there. It is like its not even connected. THe mic shows as ML mic in windows settings and it is working because I can see the meter move when I talk. The website said to make sure its not set as default, so I went in and made a different mic the default and it still doesnt show up.

Maybe I have a defective microphone? I tried plugging it into the 2 different usb ports. Nothing works. So I am thinking somehow I have to use that CAL file before the mic will even show up in ARC Genesis?

The (original) PBK mic has a sticker on it with the serial number (for calibration). It will still work with ARC Genesis. Plug mic into computer (USB), and make sure you also plug in the USB cable connected to the BF210. Launch ARC Genesis. It should recognize the BF210 and mic, and prompt you to enter serial number. As I recall, it will then automatically download the cal file (and save).

However, are you, by any chance, using a Dell Windows 10 laptop to run ARC Genesis? I recall seeing a post at AVSForum.com about a glitch with certain Dell computers not recognizing the mic. I think somebody posted a workaround, but unfortunately, I don't remember which thread it was in (either the Anthem MRX X40 series, or the ARC Genesis thread).

The (original) PBK mic has a sticker on it with the serial number (for calibration). It will still work with ARC Genesis. Plug mic into computer (USB), and make sure you also plug in the USB cable connected to the BF210. Launch ARC Genesis. It should recognize the BF210 and mic, and prompt you to enter serial number. As I recall, it will then automatically download the cal file (and save).

However, are you, by any chance, using a Dell Windows 10 laptop to run ARC Genesis? I recall seeing a post at AVSForum.com about a glitch with certain Dell computers not recognizing the mic. I think somebody posted a workaround, but unfortunately, I don't remember which thread it was in (either the Anthem MRX X40 series, or the ARC Genesis thread).
I just found this:

"May 27, 2019
Ok, so after speaking with Anthem it appears there is a list of devices that are not compatible with proper downloading and running the ARC software. As luck would have it my Microsoft Surface Pro2 is one of those devices. I am still waiting on confirmation from Anthem but they seemed pretty sure this is the issue. I do not have another device to use so it looks like I will be borrowing one or purchasing the mic for the mobile application. The positives from this ordeal is now knowing how to navigate through the Anthem 720 menus, etc. Another positive are the folks here on Audioholics. I really appreciate everyone's time for helping me with this issues. Cheers!!!!!"

I am using my daughter's Microsoft laptop which is a surface. $1800 laptop. So for some reason apparently it wont work with ARC microphones? Unbelievable. It is the only laptop we own. Not going out to purchase a laptop just for this. Crazy. If this is true, they need to put a big disclaimer up that it wont work with Microsoft of Dell. Thats a huge user market that cant use this.

The microphone is recognized and it installs the driver just fine. The microphone shows up in windows settings and I can see the green bars fill up when I talk, so it is functioning. For whatever reason, ARC Genesis wont work with it. I dont know what to do. It doesnt even show up. The program shows it as if no microphone is connected.

Ive got a 5 year old beat up Dell Laptop with broken keys I might try. Just dont know what kind of other problems I will have with it since it has been lying in a drawer the last 5 years. Maybe it will work. Charging it now.

I found the post, just in case your computer is a recent model Dell... https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dedicated-arc-genesis-thread.3068892/page-208#post-60966482
That workaround doesnt look too bad, just that Im nervous messing around with a laptop BIOS. At this point I dont even know what key to hit to bring it up,lol.

"The workaround to resolve this will require some technical knowledge. You may want to contact Dell Support again so they can walk you through this safely. You need to uninstall the microphone (ARC Microphone) under Device Manager. Unplug the microphone and you will then need to enter your BIOS on the laptop, from here you need to disable two settings:

INTERNAL MICROPHONE
INTERNAL SPEAKERS

Once you disable these two settings you need to save and restart the laptop. You can then reconnect the microphone and run ARC Genesis, it should recognize the microphone from here. After running ARC Genesis you will need to turn the two settings back on so your internal microphone and speakers work on the laptop again. "

I haven't entered BIOS on a laptop, but on a desktop it's really no big deal. You can probably find the parameters and change them, save and exit the BIOS setup in under two minutes.

They'll probably be under some heading called Peripherals, or something similar.

Once you're done, go back in and restore the prior settings. Really, it's no big deal.

I haven't entered BIOS on a laptop, but on a desktop it's really no big deal. You can probably find the parameters and change them, save and exit the BIOS setup in under two minutes.

They'll probably be under some heading called Peripherals, or something similar.

Once you're done, go back in and restore the prior settings. Really, it's no big deal.
Yeah, youre probably right. I will end up doing that if the old Dell I pulled out wont work. Im just afraid its going to get all bogged down trying to do 5 years of windows updates! I will go in and shut down all updates. Hopefully that old pc works.

I dont ever mess with laptops, so dont have much experience. Im kinda scared of them to be honest because everything you do to it somehow seems more permanent. We did purchase a warranty with it, so I could probably take it in if I screw it up.

WIll try the old laptop later tonight. Just so annoying that I couldnt just plug in the mic and use it like everyone else. At least the sub seems to be working well. Ive not run PBK of course and still need to do AUdyssey to dial it all in more. Right now im just using it with the old settings from my depth i and it sounds good.

Well the old laptop not used since 2016 worked. Im glad I saved the old thing. It runs like crap and has a broken key, but it worked!

Guess old junk is good for something.

So our flashy new Microsoft laptop wouldnt work. Compatibility issues. I hope someone fixes it with a firmware update. The kind of USB drives this laptop has are what is starting to come out on the new laptops. Many are going exclusively USB C too.

I wish I had known how the program was supposed to work because I wasted the whole day trying to get it to work on the new PC. Once I got it to work on the old Dell it was very easy to do. I downloaded the calibration file and was able to load it up just fine.

The new Microsoft laptop would never show the microphone, so I was stuck.

Although it's usually best to get driver updates directly from the computer manufacturer, it might be helpful to check if Intel has an update awaiting Microsoft's approval. Here's the link... Intel® Driver & Support Assistant
For now the old laptop will work. Just have to hope it doesnt break down on me. I figure I will run the PBK on the sub again once it is broken in. I think the manual said to allow about 50 hours play to get that done.

um, uh, 'scuse me -- does this PBK business work with MacBooks? Is there some special instruction that enables the interface?

Thanks for any information.
There is an app for Apple, so I assume it works on that but not sure.

I use PBK on Macs, works great. I used to be all PC/Win, but that was way before getting into using microphones and calibration software, so I'm no help with mic issues on a pc.

Getting something to work on a Mac should be easy since they are all made by Apple and fairly uniform. PC is tough since there are so many different devices with their own hardware.

Back