Oppo BD83 vs BD83SE

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a related question. i have a coaxial out going from the oppo to my marantz receiver (the SR7300, which doesn't have an HDMI input) as well as the 5.1 channel analog cables going from the oppo to the marantz. there is nothing going from the analog stereo audio outs on the oppo to the marantz. the marantz has a dedicated "7.1/5.1" setting to play this connection.

in flipping back and forth between (playing a standard cd) from the digital coax (set on the dvd input on the marantz) to the 7.1/5.1 setting to hear the differences, the coaxial setting is deep in bass (not a bad thing) but has a lower volume level and not as much mid and high detail. the 7.1/5.1 setting has much more clarity and is louder, but is seriously lacking in bass.

should i be running cable from the oppo two channel stereo out to a dedicated input in the marantz, versus the 7.1/5.1 connection? i'm really new to the oppo/digital cable/universal player world, so i wasn't sure if the cables i'm running from the analog multi channel outs on the oppo should be used for dvd-a and sacd only, and then run all standard cd's through a different connection (the stereo out on the oppo) for an analog signal for the cd playback.

i have a related question. i have a coaxial out going from the oppo to my marantz receiver (the SR7300, which doesn't have an HDMI input) as well as the 5.1 channel analog cables going from the oppo to the marantz. there is nothing going from the analog stereo audio outs on the oppo to the marantz. the marantz has a dedicated "7.1/5.1" setting to play this connection.

in flipping back and forth between (playing a standard cd) from the digital coax (set on the dvd input on the marantz) to the 7.1/5.1 setting to hear the differences, the coaxial setting is deep in bass (not a bad thing) but has a lower volume level and not as much mid and high detail. the 7.1/5.1 setting has much more clarity and is louder, but is seriously lacking in bass.

should i be running cable from the oppo two channel stereo out to a dedicated input in the marantz, versus the 7.1/5.1 connection? i'm really new to the oppo/digital cable/universal player world, so i wasn't sure if the cables i'm running from the analog multi channel outs on the oppo should be used for dvd-a and sacd only, and then run all standard cd's through a different connection (the stereo out on the oppo) for an analog signal for the cd playback.

The sound is really going to be dependant on where you're completing the D to A conversion. Inside the Oppo for analog outs and inside the Marantz for digital out. Switching to the left and right analog outputs will give you similar results as your 7.1 connection....it really depends on which sound you mostly favor.

Dan

Christocon,

Did you set up bass management in the Oppo? I suspect a lot of what you are hearing is due to the 7.1 inputs on the Marantz being pure direct, so that no bass management is being applied so nothing is going to your subwoofer (assuming you have one). While the Digital Coax signal is going though the distance, level and bass adjustments of the receiver.

Just a guess.

Chuck

Back