OPPO 105D break in

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Am currently auditioning this unit.

Anyone have any experience / observations on "burn in" time and what changes occur?

GG

no experience here Gordon, but I'd say 'listen and enjoy' ! ………. I am with my 306 !

I thought everyone knew that burn in is completed one day after the return period ends. ;)

Hi Brad,

Have about 125 hours on the unit.

First impression was OK but sounds like a "new" component. Limited dimensionality, tight, not much bloom, lack of punch / extension at all frequencies. Best comparison (visually) is a fog.

Seems to be clearing up after 5 days. One example. Piano sounds more percussive (as it should) and transient response (initial attack) seems to be quicker. Also, recording venue ambiance seems more prevalent and easier to hear. Definite improvements but not close to my Cary at this time. Will provide additional impressions after I get to 200 + hours.

My choice is pretty simple. Either keep the 105 (even though I am grossly under utilizing all the things this unit does) and sell my Cary or return the 105 and keep the Cary.

On the other side, unit appears to be well made. Quiet transport. Packaging is quite good and front panel operation is quite nice. Very simple and uncluttered. Manual seems well written although I'm just using the "audio" side. Unknown as to how complete it is on the video side of the equation. Of course, with a unit that does so much (manual is some 105 pages), the remote has many buttons but easy to operate. Good size buttons, backlit, etc.

Gordon

...I get a bump between 120Hz to 360Hz...

Not from the Oppo, surely

oivn5v.jpg

Balanced output is stone flat 20Hz-80kHz

http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/oppo-bdp-105/oppo-bdp-105-measurements

If folks don't believe in the break in process, fine. No need for criticizing or making fun of those who do.

Will say the unit is very sensitive to different interconnects.

The copper based Shunyata Research Cobra sounds very different than the silver based DH Labs.

As currently wired, much prefer the former over the latter.

I didn't come here to argue about anything.

I love the sound quality coming out of my balanced cables, but I'm using them to directly drive an amplifier and the balanced input of my amplifier is closer to the ideal impedance that the 105D prefers. I believe that at least theoretically some amps "could" affect the sound when being directly driven by the 105D based on the input impedance of the amp. If the impedances don't match well, than using a separate preamp that pairs well with the amp "could" help. However I believe that mostly impacts the level of volume shown at the 105D to get a certain level of volume. I'm not sure if there would be any sonic differences.

The biggest difference between the balanced and unbalanced cables is the obvious noise rejection, but I couldn't hear a difference in sound quality.

Since my 105D / Amp / Speakers were all brand new when I first started to use them there is no way I could point to any one component and say it sounded better over time. My whole system did sound much better eventually, but it took me a while to get the speaker placement right. Speaker placement had a very immediately noticeable impact on the sound. With nothing else changed I've not noticed any change in the sound quality over time otherwise.

Just my personal observations.

Hi Mark,

I'm not "arguing" with you on anything and if there's something I posted that has upset you, please advise.

And I think Roberto's comments were merely his observations based on his experiences. No arguments intended on his end either as far as I can tell.

The point of my initial post is pretty straight forward.

I'm glad you like your balanced cables and your system sound.

Best,

Gordon

This is a bit ironic.

I never accused you of arguing with me. I was specifically trying to make a comment that was not combative. Apparently I failed :(

I probably should have just left my comments without any qualifications.

Last edited:
Hola amigos. It looks that I high jack Gordon's post, and its not my intention. I just deleted my previous post. I do not know why we keep doing linear measurements, knowing that the sound is logarithmic. The bump that I was saying, its in my system. Also, what I get is that at that particular zone frequencies, the musical instruments are more forward than the other zones, and I do not like that. If you enjoy balanced, its ok!!!! I do not. You like it yellow, I might like it red. I do not know why this is bitting you. If I am with different taste than you, let it be!.

If I offended or did something wrong, please excuse my dare!

Mark,

I obviously misinterpreted your first sentence following my post. My bad.

All is good.

Gordon

How is the overall operating system compared to the prior versions ? If you have any experience with them, that is. My 95 feels quite dated (although I think it performs well).

Gordon,

Your description was spot on, as our friends over the pond would say. It did sound better over all than I expected though. It is missing the detail that my SCD-1 has but we will see.
For breaking a CDP in can it just be run on repeat not connected to an amp? Is there some electrical return that requires it to be connected to a powered up amp? Count me in on the electrical circuits need time to adjust to their surroundings.
Look forward to future updates since you are a couple of hundred hours ahead of me.

Hi Brad,

I'm just running signal from the 105 to my preamp. Pre is in standby / sleep mode.

Using the Isotech burn in CD on the transport / disc input or my XM tuner on the "coax" input.

To the best of my knowledge, that should work. No "open" circuits required. Used the same routine when I was auditioning the Esoteric K01 a few months ago.

Gordon

Gordon.... I have to ask you.... I have not heard the 306... but seems like it has a few fans.....what makes it so 'ducky'? What is it that it does so well? and I wonder if their DACs carry that same sonic signature.

Hi timm,

Here's my try.

To my ears, it's a very easy to listen to CDP that is quick, transparent, robust, engaging and tonally even handed. It fleshes out the sound stage quite well (imaging and dimensionality are quite good IMHO) and it's very easy for me to hear the recording venue ambience including the classical and opera stations on XM. To me, that's a great indicator of the "character" of the unit.

The Esoteric K01 clearly did some things better but, as I said before, I wasn't able to emotionally connect with the music like I can with the 306. Read, the K01 was more precise in some ways but more "mechanical" in it's overall presentation.

Regarding your last question, I would assume their DAC's are voiced in the same manner but I've never heard them so that is pure speculation. All things being equal, one would assume they are better than the DAC in the 306. Regarding voicing, I'm a big CJ fan and I really like their "house" sound given the fact that I'm on my third CJ preamp. I think the same holds true for Cary.

And in the end, your reaction to the 306, the K01, the OPPO 105D, and all the other optical disc players out there may be entirely different due to your personal biases, listening room, equipment, type of music played, etc. What's interesting is that Michael Fremmer / Stereophile reviewed the original unit as well as the updated version and he really likes the sound. Of course, it's no longer being built but it's pretty easy for me to get a handle on the sound of other disc players when he reviews the competition. As you may know, he's a huge analog fan and generally does not give positive reviews on digital playback systems.

Perhaps Joey and now Dave can chime in with their observations since they both own the 306. I, for one, would be most curious.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Gordon

PS: Recently had a chance to pick up a used Playback Design MPS5 at a really good price. Decided not to pursue. Also, when they show up on Audiogon, they seem to sell fairly quickly. Not too bad for a "dated" piece of digital gear.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back