New to share some Aerius HT repair experience

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOVA

Reaction score
Hi Everyone !
I just registered onto this forum although I have followed some of the discussions on this forum since I have owned a pair of Aerius i for about 10 years.
I thought I would share a recent experience in fixing my left speaker high voltage pathway , as well as seek some advice on a long term repair.
A few months ago, my left Aerius unit sound dropped substantially. When I disconnected the speaker cable from the speaker bass nuts, the sound from the electrostatic panel was barely audible and severely distorted. My right speaker went merrily on with that sweet clear panel sound that I have grown accustomed to all these years. Last week I finally got the time to work the problem:

1) I switched around the left and right speaker cables but .. no change to problem. I used different power supply cables but the problem persisted. I concluded that something is wrong inside the left speaker.

2) Using instructions that I read on this forum, I disassembled the electrostatic panel to check the connections but everything seemed to be in order. Anyway, I re-tightened all the leads to and from the plastic connector grid just below the panel but there was no improvement in sound.

3) I bit the bullet and opened up the back wooden panel of both speakers and compared visually the two sets of electronics and the various wirings. I could detect no visual difference between the two sides. Sweet music continued from the right but the left panel was basically mute. I got desperate and although many on the forum have warned about the danger of high voltage, I pulled out my multimeter and began to check first circuit path continuity with power off ( such as the 15M Ohm resistors that Roberto of this Forum have repeatedly mentioned ) and then some selected voltages with power on. I was sweating quite a bit during the latter operation but I guess I must have been careful enough to avoid some nasty situations. Also I am unfamiliar with the circuitry such that I had to guess bit by bit the function of the different sections. I checked back on many forum discussions and that's when I learned about the voltage multipliers and the 15M resistors. I concluded that the 15M resistors are OK but that no high voltage was being fed to the panel even when the signal-detect LED was on. The right channel circuit board acted as a valuable reference and I was finally able to establish that the gate transistor after the high voltage transformer but before the voltage multiplier is mal-function. It stayed open irrespective of whether there is signal input ( ie whether the LED lights up or not).

4) As a remedy, I soldered a short bypass wire around the transistor. The high voltage transformer output was fed directly to the input point of the voltage multiplier, and beautiful music returned once again to the left channel panel !

5) The bypass has disabled the automatic HT switch . I have to unplug the power line to the left channel every time I switch off my amplifier now.

I hope this experience can be for reference to those that might have similar issues with their Aerius i.

I would appreciate anyone who can tell me the numbering of the gate transistor such that I can try to buy a replacement. There is none printed on the component itself. Also does anyone have a circuit diagram of the electronics of this model ?

Happy listening to all !

Did you try contacting Martin Logan customer support? They might be able to just sell you a replacement board if you can't get the actual transistor.

-steve

Nova, thanks for Sharing your experience with this.
Great perserverance and methodical testing paid off.

I also recommend asking the factory for the part spec. I'm sure they'd share it with you.

Thanks for the various feedback. It turns out that there is a circuit diagram for the Aerius i on this forum under one of the "Tweak" threads. The "transistor" I am looking for is actually a Triac with number MAC97A8. It functions as a solid state switch : high voltage from transformer output is fed to voltage multiplier whenever signal is detected. I am now in the process of shopping for this component in Hong Kong.

I have a separate question around the Aerius i : What is the input impedance into the Stator panel ? I know it is much higher than normal electro-magnetic speakers and I also see in the crossover circuitry an impedance step-up transformer at the output end before connection to the panel. Can someone on this forum advise this ?

My thought is that since the output impedance from Tube amplifiers are quite high, is there a case of feeding the tube output directly to the Stator panel rather than taking it first down to about 8 Ohm at the amplifier end and then stepping it up again inside the Aerius before feeding to the Stator panels.

I'm guessing you plan on leaving the transformer in place because without it the panels won't get the nessessary high voltage bias they need to function. If you plan on bypassing the crossover you will need an electronic crossover before the amp because you don't want to send low frequencies to the panels.

Also the panels actually have a lower impeadence than electomagnetic speakers which is what puts a higher demand on the amp.

The crossover has three 3ohm 20watt resistors in parallel on the + side with some capacitors and resistors in parallel with the – side. So with the crossover in place the amp sees about 1.8 ohms (resistive) minimum.

With the crossover bypassed the amp sees a transformer and the impedence is more inductive than resistive and it can go below 1.8 ohms.

If you’re going to bypass the crossover It is generally a good idea to use those three resistors plus one more ( 2 in series and 2 in parallel ) to create a 3 ohm load rated at 80 watts so your amp doesn’t struggle with a very low impedance load.

Im not sure how well tube amplifiers handle very low ohm loads. You may be able to forget the resistors and drive the transformer directly. Hopefully someone who knows more about tube amps will jump in here.

I do this with my solid state Sunfire without problems.

Last edited:
I sent you the schematic. The 3 coils in the crossover are as follows: high pass(LX1 0.5mH, LX2 2.5mH); low pass(LX3 3.5mH). All three are 18awg.

I would post the schematic on this board but after I requested it from ML, explaining that I wanted to bypass the crossover, Jim Power sent it to me and it came with this:
I would ask that you not publish the information but I will share it with you. The HV power supply is still restricted so I cannot include that but for your needs, that shouldn't matter.

Cheers,
jp
Maybe I should ask him what he means by 'publish'?

Last edited:
Here is a link that explains all this much better than I can:

http://www.plitron.com/pdf/Atcl_11.pdf

The explanation focuses on toroidal transformers and why they are better for electrostatic loudspeakers.

Anyone that has bypassed the internal crossover should take a look at the link. It talks about using a resistor with the transformer in such a way as to suppress high frequency ‘ringing’.
Ringing means excess high frequency energy in the environment of 20 kHz, which can make the tonal character of the electrostatic loudspeaker very irritating and sharp sounding.

The link also discusses tube amps:
...tube amplifiers with small damping factors are not able to send enough high frequency energy into such difficult loads.

Last edited:
Back