Aerius, low output, possibly hit by surge

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats! Do you have both working now?
When I mentioned it to Ron(ML customer service), I wasn't 100% sure that was the issue. But he confirmed that it was possible that those could malfunction after a surge. So he sent me only one to try out. I'll have to order another one to get the second speaker back up and running.

The new opamp arrived today. I installed it onto the board while still disconnected from everything, then I gave it 120v and a signal, and the led came right on. So I wired it back up to the cabinet, and that did the deed. Panel is back to life! I did not even try the new transformer because I never got around to desoldering the old one. So I dodged that bullet. Thank you for taking the time to help troubleshoot!
As someone who has been around the block a few times in electronics troubleshooting, when I see a plug-in chip with several functions related to the turning on of the HV that costs pennies to replace (even if ML hadn't provided it for free) that's pretty low hanging fruit. Glad it worked out for you.

I almost gave up and ordered new hv boards, but the 12 week lead time along with $300 each urged me to stay the course. Previous owner would probably be kicking themselves if they knew it was cheap fix. I started this project about a week before Thanksgiving, so it did take a good bit of free time to figure out, but that's because I am not experienced in electronics. Very good learning experience though. Thanks again

As someone who has been around the block a few times in electronics troubleshooting, when I see a plug-in chip with several functions related to the turning on of the HV that costs pennies to replace (even if ML hadn't provided it for free) that's pretty low hanging fruit. Glad it worked out for you.

To conclude this thread, I received the other new op amp and I now have two functioning towers. I know that I'm very fortunate that this was the only issue in the circuit, so I'll try to enjoy these as long as I can.

For being an entry level speaker, I'm very happy with these. Very solid from the low end response to the crisp mids and highs. Not enough lows to replace a dedicated subwoofer but still very respectable. Thanks to Ron and the good people of this forum!

Back