New to ML speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borret

Reaction score
I just go a complete hometheater setup done by Sound Advice. I chose the Vantages and the Frescos for the rear. As a center I chose the MotifB.
My room size is 17X30 and I am a little concerned about the loss sound quality since I have been told that thhese speakers are not bi-polar, but bi-directional.

I will keep you posted as I try new things and I am always open to any suggestions that anyone may have.
I previously had definitive technology speakers that were bi-polar (bp7002) and sounded great with both movies and music. I have not yet experienced this with my ML's.
Thanks

The correct technical term for Martin Logan speaker is "dipolar." Your def. tech speakers were bipolar. The difference between the two is that the rear wave in dipolar speakers is out of phase with the front wave; whereas with bipolar speakers the rear wave is in phase with the front wave. But that is just one small difference between these speakers.

I used to own Def. Tech. BP 2002's along with their center and surround speakers. When I moved up to Martin Logans, it was a HUGE step up in sound quality. What you will find is that the Martin Logans have much greater detail and transparency and they disappear better into the room and present better imaging and soundstaging.

Don't listen to what others tell you about the sound quality. Listen and judge with your own ears. Give your speakers time to break in first. They will not sound good until they have at least a hundred or more hours of usage at normal listening levels.

Also, realize that the MLs are a higher end speaker than the Def. Techs and are more demanding of quality upstream components and of proper placement. They will ruthlessly reveal any weaknesses in your system. Search the previous threads on this forum and you will find lots of discussions on proper setup and placement of Martin Logans, as well as recommendations of amps and preamps.

Also, realize that the MLs are a higher end speaker than the Def. Techs and are more demanding of quality upstream components and of proper placement. They will ruthlessly reveal any weaknesses in your system.

:welcome:!!

Heed Rich's words well. A seasoned ML audiophile that he is, he preaches the truth.

IF you hear ML and you don't like it, it's one of two things.

1. You just don't like the sound, period.
2. You have crappy upstream electronics.

More than likely, you will be in camp #2. I know I was (still am?). You will be rewarded as you move up in electronics with ML... moreso than any speaker in the price range.

Back