New to Martin Logan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavolej

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to all these high end speakers. I don't consider myself as an audiophile yet because there is so much things to learn that I have to focus on. I am hoping that's why I join this club to learn from the experts like you guys...

I bought my first pair of Martin Logan last year. At first, I did not intend to buy any expensive high end speakers not until when I saw the looks and was intrigue of the uniqueness of the design of the Martin Logan Source not to mention hearing the details of sound auditioned in the showroom. ML's speakers wasn't the typical looks of a speaker that I have in mind. I made a research about Martin Logan then I learn about ESL speakers and their designs. After reading some literature on ML's site, I decided to order a pair of ML's Purity. Then I started to research what kind of receiver I can use to hooked them up. I decided to buy the Denon 3808CI. The sounds were really great and been very happy about it. After a month, I bought the ML sub Dynamo and this year I bought ML Feature as my center channel. Right now, I am in the process of having a patio enclosures and will be using it as my home theater room. I am buying ML's speakers one buy one until I completed atleast a 5.1 set-up. Now I am seeking for advice of what to use as a rear speakers, I was either thinking of getting a source or a preface, what do you guys think?

Thank you and hoping to have more informative conversation with all of you!

Welcome!

Don't worry, take your time. It took me 7 years to get a full 5.1 ML system together and another 2 years to get to 7.1.:D

Dan

Go a little cheaper in the rear and by an amplifier for the Source!

EDIT, I guess I didn't read carefully enough. Hope you are enjoying the Purity.

Last edited:
Go a little cheaper in the rear and by an amplifier for the Source! That will probably make you the happiest sonically.

My Fronts are Purity, center is Feature and I am considering to buy the Source or just Preface to be cheaper for the rear. My Denon 3808 ci should handle the rear? Or Not?

My Fronts are Purity, center is Feature and I am considering to buy the Source or just Preface to be cheaper for the rear. My Denon 3808 ci should handle the rear? Or Not?

Hi, and welcome to the club.

Since all of your fronts are powered, your denon should not be an issue, and it should have no problem handling a Preface in the rear.

Depending on room layout, you might also find a more omnidirectional speaker for rear/side duties to provide a better result.

Since your receiver has Audyssey MultEQ XT, the usual tonal variations are less of an issue, as Audyssey will mitigate minor differences.

I'd recommend Mirage Omipolars for rear and/or surround. They are especially effective as sides in a 7.1 setup.

If floor standing, then these 550's would do

or if Wall mounted, the OMNI 50's should work

If wall mounting, flip them upside down and mount them above 6'.

Thanks for the recommendations Jonfo, I will research and check those kind of speakers that you were saying.

For now, I need help... I am on the process of building an enclosed patio, actually I contracted someone to do it. I asked the contractor If I can hand them the audio cable wires to run in-wall when they are installing the wall. These cables will be used for the rear speakers in the future. My question is, what is a good cable to use that is easily available in store like home depot or best buy that is not that expensive. I will need atleast 100-150 ft. cable. What is the difference between 12 AWG, 14 AWG and 16 AWG? I know it's the wire thickness but will individually affect the sounds of the speaker? What is the best to use? The contractor need these cables in a week so I will appreciate all recommendations I can get...

Thanks in advance!

I use Mirage OM-R2 as side/back in my 7.1 setup and they're really nice!
Bet you could find some really cheap on the interwebz somewhere since they were discontinued a couple of years ago.
Also pleasing to the eye and small enough to hide if WAF demands it :)

Thanks for the recommendations Jonfo, I will research and check those kind of speakers that you were saying.

For now, I need help... I am on the process of building an enclosed patio, actually I contracted someone to do it. I asked the contractor If I can hand them the audio cable wires to run in-wall when they are installing the wall. These cables will be used for the rear speakers in the future. My question is, what is a good cable to use that is easily available in store like home depot or best buy that is not that expensive. I will need atleast 100-150 ft. cable. What is the difference between 12 AWG, 14 AWG and 16 AWG? I know it's the wire thickness but will individually affect the sounds of the speaker? What is the best to use? The contractor need these cables in a week so I will appreciate all recommendations I can get...

Thanks in advance!

Take a look at www.bluejeanscable.com, I believe that will be the best bang for your buck (many here use them). I use their speaker cable for the rear in my main theater and the whole system in my secondary area.

Back