My homebuilt speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice job ! I hope they are as pleasing to the ear as they are to the eye !

Stability: I've had no accidents so far, maybe due to the fact that people and cats wont go near them, afraid of getting zapped.

The sound strongly reminds of CLS II.

I thought that people here might want to see my Esl:s. It's not a new project,
been dealing with them for years.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jkarud/DropBox#

Very cool!

I really like your 'floating stator' look, very creative :bowdown:

The bias voltage in the frame issue is hopefully minor, but as you say, cats, dogs and intelligent humans soon learn to not touch :p

I'd love to read more about your design, did you publish a story on the build?

Kudos!

Great to see so innovative design. It looks like it _must_ sound fantastic. It would be very interesting to read more about designing and building them. How would you compare it to commercial products? Did you carry out any measurements?

Last edited:
I don't have the time to make a detailed building plan of this speaker, but if you follow the instructions below, and use some inspired thinking power, you will find it not too hard to build.

There are four water cut stainless steel frames,4 mm thick, with handmade 4 mm holes for the screws. Two of the frames are lined on the inside with 2 mm neoprene rubber for membrane gripping. Use rubber glue when gluing the neoprene to the steel. Mount the two frame halves together with all the screws and let the glue dry for a few days. Then take it all apart again.

A lined back frame is put on a big table, rubber side up. 12 uM mylar film, conductive side up, is placed over this frame and stretched with many 50 mm wide clear packing tape strips, 70 mm apart.

When stretching the film, pull the tape strips almost to the breaking point.
When you have placed stretched tape strips all around the perimeter, put the unlined front metal frame on top and start screwing. Pull the screws AHAP (As Hard As Possible).

The film I use is very similar to the M-L film, with a sputtered thin metal layer.

Done! Sounds easy, doesn't it?

Today I use a B&G Neo3 planar dipole tweeter for the top end. This allows me to drive the Esl with ten cheap ordinary, series coupled, 220/9 Vac, 40x40 mm, encapsulated, circuit board power transformers up to appr. 5 kHz.

These transformers are impossible to destroy with any amp!

The bias voltage is obtained by connecting a seven step ladder to the balanced output of the drive transformers via two 1,5 MOhm 2 watt resistors.

The input of the ladder is protected from voltage transients by a 220 Vac varistor. The output is connected to the front metal frame via six 10 MOhm resistors and three 1N4007 diodes in series.

Good Luck!

PS. I use my ears when building speakers, but I will do some frequency measurement with HolmImpulse when i find the time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back