ML Summits / BW N802

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure would like to compare that pass x250 to my rotel or maybe not:confused:

As Feltran said, better not do unless you are ready to spend some money.

Noticed a Pass Labs 350 on the Gon a few days ago for about $3,500 or so.

A silly, stupid no brainer given the fact that a new 350.5 goes for about $10K these days.

GG

Last edited:
Are you sure that's not $4200 EACH? that doesn't sound like something Definitive would do. jb

I took a second look and you are probably correct. MSRP is $7000 which would be one speaker. Still not a bad deal for a new set. If i remember correct the 803d's were close to $10k just a few months ago. I wonder if a stronger US dollar would make them less expensive?

x350 or X250

Well now that I have officially fallen in love with these Summits, the only question left is, go with the 250 or the 350, I don't think I need 350watts for these. the needle doesn't even move even at 90+db. so the amp is driving them effortlessly. The 250 seems just as well, the only difference I think I hear, is perhaps some improved dynamics with the 250, but it could be my imagination because that's what Pass Labs says the difference is. any body have any thoughts?
jb

Summit vs Proac 28

I have decided to go for Proac D28 . I have been offered a decent price for the Summit after using for about One and Half years. Since I have graduated to Tube amps and there is a room limitation, I think I should not regret !!!

jb,

Are you saying that Pass Labs said that the 250 would be more dynamic than the 350 and that your AB test confirmed this?

GG

Last edited:
jb,

Are you saying that Pass Labs said that the 250 would be more dynamic than the 350 and that your AB test confirmed this?

GG
No, my ears have not confirmed it, YET. I have not done the ABAB tests yet, I only experimented a couple of times on the Summits. I just got them yesterday! I DID do an AB test on the BW's and I do believe that on the BW's, with some music, the 350 seemed to give it more depth, but that was under higher volumes, (say 90+db) and with a more demanding piece of music. I've been running my ML's all day today with the 350 and tonight I will compare amps on the ML's and I will let you know what I think. thanks, jb

If you want some real feed back , Tom The site owner has Pass labs amp and Summit speakers.

Ok, After comparing the Pass Labs X350 to the X250 I'd have to say the 250 does sound a bit more dynamic and it is more than enough power for these Summits. Both are very sweet and allow the Summits to breathe and give that wonderful soundstage, imaging and clarity they are capable of. The x350 seems a bit 'over powered', given the size of my room (14'x25') so I really don't need all that testosterone from the X350. So, now it all comes down to enjoying the music. Later!, hope to post pics soon.

jb,

Thanks for the observations.

Given the fact that the 250 has 35W of pure Class A before going into the AB mode, the efficiency of the Summit and my personal experience with the 250.5, I would think the amps would sound quite similar unless one was playing music at a very loud level.

By the way Chris, I also have one of those boat anchors.

GG

jb,

Thanks for the observations.

Given the fact that the 250 has 35W of pure Class A before going into the AB mode, the efficiency of the Summit and my personal experience with the 250.5, I would think the amps would sound quite similar unless one was playing music at a very loud level.

By the way Chris, I also have one of those boat anchors.

GG
GG. I think you are righ on, the amps are very similar, with the only notable exception at higher volumes. At between lose to 100db, the 350 clearly has more "umff" and improved dynamics, but who listens that high? I certainly don't. If I had a larger room and larger speakers I might. Just out of curiousity, I wonder what db these can handle? not that I want to experiment over 100db, I think that would cause both speaker and ear damage.
jb

when I first got into this i would debate on how much a difference better amps made but not any more! even my fresco i 's in my living room just came to life when I upgraded from a yamaha receiver to a rotel 2 x 200 watt amp hooked to a integrated stereo pr pro. I know I am addicted to the rotel it really is great stuff for a reasonable price. that's why I want to make the jump to a pass for my spires if rotel did that for my frescos i 's what would a pass do for the spires.

Back