ML Subs and EQ

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subs, rooms, nulls, Depth

There was a previous thread where I asked the same questions about subs that would be a good match for my Aeons. I ended up buying a Depth and am very pleased with it. Same reasons elaborated above by other happy ML sub users so no sense in repeating them. I compared the Depth with a Velodyne DD-10, which was admittedly small for my room, which appears similar in size 16'x25'x16'.
Frequency response below 20 Hz is still possible with 8" drivers. And having 3 drivers allows the sub to "push as much air" as a much larger single driver sub. As far as dips in the frequency response, this is unavoidable. ALL rooms will have nulls. I can walk around and hear them. Mine were at 43 and 65 Hz. Yours will differ unless your room dimensions are exactly the same as mine. Your best bet is just to optimize for your primary listening position. An EQ setup definitely can help reduce the nulls and provide a near uniform freq. response at the listening position. For a good article explaining how nulls occur, try http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=122
On the same website, under "white papers", there is another article describing experiments and calculations looking at how many subs it would take to get "perfect" bass response in a room. Pretty interesting and esoteric stuff. If I remember correctly, I think they concluded that 4 subs would be a good tradeoff.

Actually, using eq to solve nulls is not very practical... Boosting the null frequency by using heavy eq on the subwoofer will have little effect, the null will be like a 'black hole', soaking up all amp power. The net effect is that the amplifier will clip easily.

Using eq to solve peaks at the listening position is smarter and easily done.

Best is to choose the listener position carefully (trying to avoid major room modes) and using the placement of the subwoofer to try and cancel the room modes that still remain at the listener position. It will take some experience and insight to do this, but once you know the 'trick', it makes incredible improvements, even with subs without eq.

Robin said:
I wanted to add, that in setting-up my, ML Decsent, I had to make the choice not to use the metal spikes. The reason was, this subwoofer is just so powerful. My home is a single floor, raised wood floor house. The sub-floor is 2 3/4" plywood, which is covered by padding & capeting. The Decsent with the spikes on, conducted to much bass power to the sub-floor, consiquently distubing other family members in other rooms, with-in a 25 foot radious, of the HT room. The Decsent works beautifully though, even without the spikes, continuing to deliver smooth, beautiful bass at all times....

An Auralex Subdude/Gramma would be the perfect product for you, effectively isolating the sub completely from the floor. It will also greatly improve the definition and transparancy of the bass frequencies!

Link: http://www.auralexelite.com/sound_isolation_subdude/sound_isolation_subdude.asp

By the way, I think SVS subwoofers are the BEST for Home Theater, but I find them a bit lacking (although still very good!) with music. I once had the SVS CS-Ultra with Bryston amp.

garmtz said:
By the way, I think SVS subwoofers are the BEST for Home Theater, but I find them a bit lacking (although still very good!) with music. I once had the SVS CS-Ultra with Bryston amp.

Another SVS positive review!!!!!
Are there any bad ones out there?????

garmtz said:
Actually, using eq to solve nulls is not very practical...

Using eq to solve peaks at the listening position is smarter and easily done.

Best is to choose the listener position carefully (trying to avoid major room modes) and using the placement of the subwoofer to try and cancel the room modes that still remain at the listener position.

Absolutely right. First move the sub around to get the flattest response, then use the EQ to attenuate the peaks. I have a reasonably flat response without any EQ at all with my Depth. The sub is positioned about at a position 1/4 of the way along the longest wall. (1/2 the way would probably be better but there is a door and a fireplace, so I'm out of luck in that regard).

garmtz

Excellent! you are quite correct, this product is just what, I was looking for... I'm going to try to purchase the Auralex "SubDude", as soon as I can. I found a dealer, not too far away.
Thank you for the help. Now, I can have louder, more defined bass without disturbing the whole house.

Robin said:
garmtz

Excellent! you are quite correct, this product is just what, I was looking for... I'm going to try to purchase the Auralex "SubDude", as soon as I can. I found a dealer, not too far away.
Thank you for the help. Now, I can have louder, more defined bass without disturbing the whole house.

Good for you! I have found the product works marvellously! :cool: And it is rather good value for moeny as well! Happy buying! :D

Back