ML Production moving

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man..this thread has gotten long....

Quick question....
Is only manufacturing moving?
Or is R&D also moving?

It would be a sensible move to cut costs on manufacturing and invest more in R&D. Remember that growth is always the focus at the cost of profitability, so I don't believe they would cut their cost in order to just keep the money. That's not how growing businesses work.

Soo...for us...
More R&D means better products. No?

Sure...increased R&D means widening the scope..aka no longer a specialty store...I just hope they don't go too low in the spectrum...it would really hurt their high-end market.

If this has been discussed already...please just tell me once.

Man..this thread has gotten long....

Quick question....
Is only manufacturing moving?
Or is R&D also moving?

It would be a sensible move to cut costs on manufacturing and invest more in R&D. Remember that growth is always the focus at the cost of profitability, so I don't believe they would cut their cost in order to just keep the money. That's not how growing businesses work.

Soo...for us...
More R&D means better products. No?

Sure...increased R&D means widening the scope..aka no longer a specialty store...I just hope they don't go too low in the spectrum...it would really hurt their high-end market.

If this has been discussed already...please just tell me once.

I think you are on to something here hopefully this is the case.they have come out with some stellar products in the last couple of years so I have faith .

The manufacturing merger with Paradigm has certainly hit a nerve with us, and all the opinions rendered above make for an interesting read. However, the fact is, WE are but the tip of the iceberg (more like the lunatic fringe) of the world's ML consumer market. True, most of us are ML fan-boys (and girls... not to slight Robin), and probably account for a bunch of local ML sales from our online and in-person exuberance. However, only Shoreview is privy to ML's actual balance sheet, and, as the company "owner" they get to write the business plan. In the end, all we can do is watch from the sidelines, and hope that 1) the company/brand remains viable, 2) they continue to produce quality speakers across all the price points, and 3) they continue to provide excellent support for those of us that already own the product. It would be nice if the management were to consider all our comments/criticisms, but I suspect they are a lot more preoccupied right now with implementing their new business plan, whatever it may be. I suggest we all put on some relaxing tunes, chill out, and wait to see where this ride takes us!

just remember this thread has had almost 9,000 views so the HIFI world is watching regardless if they are posting or on the fringe.

Hello,
I do not understand why so many want this thread to be locked? There has been no foul language, few personal attacks, and is mostly just people expressing their feelings about a major change to what Martin Logan came to represent.

And, for now, R&D is staying in Kansas along with Service. As to how long this will remain, it sadly is anyones guess.
Cheers,
ML

So,

After 285 posts (I do admire your tenacity and passion Rich, Fish, and others), what has not been said about this issue?

GG

So,

After 285 posts (I do admire your tenacity and passion Rich, Fish, and others), what has not been said about this issue?

GG

Hello,
Does a thread not usually die naturally when the interest has waned as opposed to being locked? Again this is a Story that was done of the DL and only came out through a Kansas Newspaper as opposed to the A/V Press.
Call me cynical, but that does seem somewhat odd.
Cheers,
ML

So,

GG

Well, Gordon, you would be surprised what a little research on the internet can turn up. :D For instance, I noticed that in the press release Martin Logan's CEO was listed as a man by the name of Tim Valters. I recalled that just a couple of years ago, their CEO's name was Michael Lyons. Hmmmm? Sounds like Shoreview has made a management shuffle. A little more research pulled up Tim Valter's Linked in profile. You can read it HERE.

He is Canadian, no surprise. He was hired just under a year ago. Interestingly, his title is listed as President and CEO of Paradigm/Martin Logan Electronics based in the Toronto, Canada area! Sounds like they have actually merged these brands and just forgot to mention it to everyone. :eek: Also of note is that his prior experience is running Selkirk, a chimney venting products manufacturer! He has absolutely no prior experience in any audio-related business.

Well, yes, it certainly sounds like Shoreview is committed to high end audio and the great legacy of Martin Logan Speakers (apparently now to be renamed the Great Canadian Speaker Company).

Attachments

• ml 001.jpg
    ml 001.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Well, Gordon, you would be surprised what a little research on the internet can turn up. :D For instance, I noticed that in the press release Martin Logan's CEO was listed as a man by the name of Tim Valters. I recalled that just a couple of years ago, their CEO's name was Michael Lyons. Hmmmm? Sounds like Shoreview has made a management shuffle. A little more research pulled up Tim Valter's Linked in profile. You can read it HERE.

He is Canadian, no surprise. He was hired just under a year ago. Interestingly, his title is listed as President and CEO of Paradigm/Martin Logan Electronics based in the Toronto, Canada area! Sounds like they have actually merged these brands and just forgot to mention it to everyone. :eek: Also of note is that his prior experience is running Selkirk, a chimney venting products manufacturer! He has absolutely no prior experience in any audio-related business.

Well, yes, it certainly sounds like Shoreview is committed to high end audio and the great legacy of Martin Logan Speakers (apparently now to be renamed the Great Canadian Speaker Company).

so what's your point? looks like the guy could be good for sales. I bet you don't have a profile that reads like that Rich.BTW business is business Rich weather your selling chimneys,speakers or ladies underwear it's all the same.

Last edited:
so what's your point?

Ummmmm?!? . . . if you can't figure that one out on your own, I'm afraid there is no helping you. Just go ahead and stick your head back in the sand.

looks like the guy could be good for sales.

Really? What gives you that idea? He has an engineering degree and a few years experience running a chimney products manufacturing company. He has no experience at all in audio-related sales or business management. Sounds like you are grasping at straws to find a silver lining.

I bet you don't have a profile that reads like that Rich.

You are right, Fish. I don't. :( Since I retired ten years ago at age 34, I really haven't done much to develop my professional profile. Oh, wait a minute. I do own a Conference Center. Does that count? Ah, but there I go again tooting my own horn. Gee, Fish, you seem to bring out the worst in me.

Just out of curiosity, is it absolutely impossible for you to make a comment on a topic without belittling another forum member? No? I didn't think so.

BTW business is business Rich weather your selling chimneys,speakers or ladies underwear it's all the same.

That means a lot coming from you, Fish. Where did you get your business degree? How many businesses have you been involved in managing? :rolleyes: I guess you are right. As long as you don't care about the direction of the company, the quality of their products, the technological direction of their R&D, or their emphasis on customer service, then it really doesn't matter what kind of experience their CEO has. I have been involved in the management and eventual sale of several high end biotech businesses, and I know from personal experience that your comment is completely uninformed. Running a business with a vision is completely different from running a business with nothing but a profit motive to guide you.

CEO's set the future direction of the company. Guys like Gayle Sanders are visionaries, who focus on producing a unique, high end, handcrafted product and providing unparalleled customer service. Their focus is on providing the very best experience for a select group of customers. And that has been the direction of this company from inception up until Shoreview bought it.

Guys like Tim Valters are number crunchers, whose primary focus is cost cutting, consolidation, marketing, and expanding volume of sales into low end markets. I expect we are currently seeing only the beginning of this transformation of Martin Logan from a high-end, boutique customer service oriented speaker company into something more closely resembling Bose.

I find it interesting that you completely failed to comment on the fact that our "Great American Speaker Company" has apparently been merged secretly with Paradigm, with management now based in Canada. Don't you find that marketing campaign, instituted since this guy took over, just a little disingenuous?

Last edited:
I find it interesting that you completely failed to comment on the fact that our "Great American Speaker Company" has apparently been merged secretly with Paradigm, with management now based in Canada. Don't you find that marketing campaign, instituted since this guy took over, just a little disingenuous?

"I think if they are gonna manufacture their products outside of the country they should give the "great american speaker company" a rest."

page 2 Rich. or do you only read post that are only directed at you?

We're pretty friendly up here, James ! :)

I will tell you what Bernard when they relocate the headquarters to Canada we can meet up their and then I can give your system a listen although you would still be pretty far I guess.Canada is a nice and clean country I could think of no better place for Martin Logan other than the USA.

Last edited:
"I think if they are gonna manufacture their products outside of the country they should give the "great american speaker company" a rest."

Well, Fish, it seems they halfway listened to us at least. Have you noticed the logo on their web page now says simply "Handcrafted Electrostatic Speakers" rather than "Handcrafted Electrostatic Speakers from the Heartland" as it said before this thread was started.

I will tell you what Bernard when they relocate the headquarters to Canada we can meet up their and then I can give your system a listen although you would still be pretty far I guess.Canada is a nice and clean country I could think of no better place for Martin Logan other than the USA.
Looking forward to it. I am about 5 hours NE of Toronto.

So,

GG

I beg to differ. There is lots yet to say. For example:
1. We haven't yet insulted Mexico or India or Norway. Can't stop just at China and Canada. Although I must say I've enjoyed the Canada bashing and the polite rejoinders from the Canadians. NO ONE ever bashes the Canadians! Its like they are a country of Nelson Mandelas and Mother Teresas, except less controversial. Insulting Canada's got to be a very welcome internet first :D
2. We haven't yet dug up dirt on Shoreview's evil twin, UnSureView, which is really behind all this

I'm just saying....Lots more to discuss;)

Latest posts

Back