ML- PowerCords (should we upgrade?)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bonedust said:
if you want 60 pages of test results from copper cable purity, resistance, load loss, RFI susceptablilty, and oxidation susceptibility wait about another 30-40 days and click on the tech tab on my website.

I'm interested to see the results.

But I'd rather see non-invansive electrophysiologic testing showing that people are capable of hearing that 10th of a percent difference - or whatever it is. You might want to run these tests for your own company - depending on the results it'd be great marketing. It'd also be the definitive study leaning the balance one way or another on the cable hype phenomenon. All you have to do is run a MMN (Mismatched Negativity) or other late evoked potential that is based off an oddball paradigm between cables....

-D

I am still up in the air on what to buy for a new SACD player.

How much do you want to spend?

if you want 60 pages of test results from copper cable purity, resistance, load loss, RFI susceptablilty, and oxidation susceptibility wait about another 30-40 days and click on the tech tab on my website.

Of course you can measure a difference in a cable being it coax, braided, solid strand, shielded, or gauge size but does it have an audible effect on an audio signal? The answer is no! Do cables make a difference? The answer is yes! They only make a difference when the signal you are sending through the cable needs it. But when you send an audio signal (20Hz - 20KHz) you do not need anything more then adequate gauge size. The only job of a cable is to carry a signal from point A to point B without degrading the signal. When you start with basic copper wire on the AMP output and end up with basic copper wire on the speaker input how is adding anything different in between going to make a difference? Going along with the second law of thermodynamics which states "energy can neither be created nor destroyed" a cable can not "add" anything to the signal. If you look up at how flawed the human ear is at hearing you will understand why people are hearing what they want to hear. The human ear can not hear the same sound struck twice in succession.

If you pick up the March issue of Robb Report's Home Entertainment, they also have the results of blind testing. They found that the panel could pick the better cables in every instance except analog audio interconnects.

Did they tell the people what cable was being used while they were testing it?

Kevin said:
If you look up at how flawed the human ear is at hearing you will understand why people are hearing what they want to hear. The human ear can not hear the same sound struck twice in succession.

The ear is actually fairly decent at doing what it does assuming a non-pathologic ear.

As to the succession - depends on the rate of succession.

But that aside, I pretty much agree with the rest of what you wrote.

-D

Kevin said:
If you look up at how flawed the human ear is at hearing you will understand why people are hearing what they want to hear. The human ear can not hear the same sound struck twice in succession.
Well, maybe yours can't...perhaps that explains why you so firmly believe that the only cable worth using is lampcord, and that acoustic treatment is for yahoos. Honestly, after 50-odd posts saying the same thing, the horse is long dead, please stop beating it.

Muad'Dib said:
I'm interested to see the results.

But I'd rather see non-invansive electrophysiologic testing showing that people are capable of hearing that 10th of a percent difference - or whatever it is. You might want to run these tests for your own company - depending on the results it'd be great marketing. It'd also be the definitive study leaning the balance one way or another on the cable hype phenomenon. All you have to do is run a MMN (Mismatched Negativity) or other late evoked potential that is based off an oddball paradigm between cables....

-D

thats actually a very interesting proposition...hmmm

Bonedust said:
thats actually a very interesting proposition...hmmm

That was my original thesis before my department chair decided she didn't like it....

-D

Kevin said:
Of course you can measure a difference in a cable being it coax, braided, solid strand, shielded, or gauge size but does it have an audible effect on an audio signal? The answer is no! Do cables make a difference? The answer is yes! They only make a difference when the signal you are sending through the cable needs it. But when you send an audio signal (20Hz - 20KHz) you do not need anything more then adequate gauge size. The only job of a cable is to carry a signal from point A to point B without degrading the signal.When you start with basic copper wire on the AMP output and end up with basic copper wire on the speaker input how is adding anything different in between going to make a difference? Going along with the second law of thermodynamics which states "energy can neither be created nor destroyed" a cable can not "add" anything to the signal.

'without degrading the signal' ...exactly. now the question is...is the cable degrading the signal. you really double talked on that one...

no, energy cannot be created or destroyed, but energy can be spent, in the form of heat...which happens ALOT in the cabling world.

Did they tell the people what cable was being used while they were testing it?

it wouldnt really be a blind test if they told the people, now would it?

Muad'Dib said:
That was my original thesis before my department chair decided she didn't like it....

-D

seriousl, id be very interested in talking more about that with you.

Back