ML- PowerCords (should we upgrade?)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was told yes, however i did not want to try it myself so if you are feeling brave give it a shot.

Anthony A. said:
i was told yes, however i did not want to try it myself so if you are feeling brave give it a shot.

I actually tried it just to discharge the panels before opening up the rear crossover board. It played for a very long time with the power cable unplugged....

IMO, including a powercord is like including speaker cable. Everyone's tastes are different, and including any cable with a speaker is a bit presumptious. However, electrostatics being the minority in the world of high end audio, most people arent prepared to make a decision on what a good power cable will be when they are purchasing 'stats. So, including one is a good idea.

That being said...anyone who does not believe an upgraded power cord makes a difference has not done the testing. The differences are amazing.

Bonedust said:
IMO, including a powercord is like including speaker cable. Everyone's tastes are different, and including any cable with a speaker is a bit presumptious. However, electrostatics being the minority in the world of high end audio, most people arent prepared to make a decision on what a good power cable will be when they are purchasing 'stats. So, including one is a good idea.

That being said...anyone who does not believe an upgraded power cord makes a difference has not done the testing. The differences are amazing.

"anyone who does not believe an upgraded power cord makes a difference has not done the testing"

- with the exception of the ML ESL speakers, correct? Because w/o a power cord, the speakers can still play.

Bonedust said:

Bonedust:

As owner of a PowerCord company, I could not imagine you saying anything different. Even though you do have a nice web page.

However, as ML Corp pointed out.... "Once the panel is charged up, the speakers do not draw any more power.

So then, "What good does an expensive power cord actually do for the ML speakers, that isn't already being done by the ones they are shipped with? It seems the best solution for sonic improvement would be a power conditioner.

Last edited:
i dont' build ESL transformers for a living, but i do understand how ESL's work as a whole. Saying that they get a one time charge is a bit of a generalization. the charge doesnt last forever...in fact in my Statements, the charge doesnt last 5 minutes.

the proof is in the testing, i was a believer before i got into production. the proof is WHY i got into production.

also, i agree...power conditioning IS the key. heck, thats always been my motto!

Ok? Have any proof of that? Besides "I heard a difference".

Bonedust said:

"The differences are amazing"

If the differences were truely "amazing", then this thread wouldn't exist. To use the adjective "amazing", I better "easily" hear the difference as day and night...Now on the other hand, Spider-Man... is truely Amazing!! ;)

DTB300 said:
TBTW...I saw in your tag line that you have a 59Avi - Can you comment on that player for SACD playback or others that you may have listened to or thought about purchasing?
Thanks...Dan

Hey Dan, I absolutely love it. I don't listen to too many SACDs on it, but the couple I did it was incredible. I mostly use my 59avi to Play DVDs and with that, it is incredible. No Macroblocking and all the adjustable settings worked out real nice with my 62" Toshi DLP. I did lots of research before picking up this model and from what I read, the audio on it was incredible as well.

I chose it Over the Denon 2910 because of the Macroblocking problems Denon had. I was considering an Onkyo 1000 but I felt for what I saw the 59avi was very comparable for the buck.

jaz said:
I chose it Over the Denon 2910 because of the Macroblocking problems Denon had. I was considering an Onkyo 1000 but I felt for what I saw the 59avi was very comparable for the buck.

I have read a lot of issues with QC problems on the new Denon's - yet my 2200 has performed flawlessly since the day I owned it. The 1000 has reported problems with lip sync, last I read. Glad you like the 59. I am still up in the air on what to buy for a new SACD player.

Dan

Kevin said:
Ok? Have any proof of that? Besides "I heard a difference".

ya, tons of data...but the end result is sound, so what better proof is there besides 'hearing a difference'?

Munster said:

If you pick up the March issue of Robb Report's Home Entertainment, they also have the results of blind testing. They found that the panel could pick the better cables in every instance except analog audio interconnects.

for every place that says yes, there is another that says no. cabling is an area where you have to make up your own mind.

Muad'Dib said:
Share...

-D

if you want 60 pages of test results from copper cable purity, resistance, load loss, RFI susceptablilty, and oxidation susceptibility wait about another 30-40 days and click on the tech tab on my website.

I think that if the Difference isn't like upgrading from a Black & White TV to a Color TV or at least from Standard Def TV to High Def TV then why spend all the extra money? I mean if its a 50/50 shot. Its like buying a McClaren F1 to sit in traffic on the way to work every morning when you can sit in traffic in a Toyota and save money. Just the McClaren will get you some more Looks. :) I guess if you got the money to spend, then to each his own.

Back