McCain and Obama

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what worries me about John McCain...

My father in law is his age and was a very bright guy.
Decorated war hero, retired banker, Harvard MBA
and all around nice man. You could talk to him about
anything, because he had a huge capacity for knowledge
of any kind.

Then on the 2nd day of the CES show this year,
he had a severe stroke.

Phil just came home from the hospital a couple of weeks
ago and he's got the capacity of a retarded 10 year old
now..

I'm sure John McCain is a fine guy, but electing anyone
that old to office worries me. But hey, Regan did ok, so
who knows?

Here's what worries me about John McCain...

My father in law is his age and was a very bright guy.
Decorated war hero, retired banker, Harvard MBA
and all around nice man. You could talk to him about
anything, because he had a huge capacity for knowledge
of any kind.

Then on the 2nd day of the CES show this year,
he had a severe stroke.

Phil just came home from the hospital a couple of weeks
ago and he's got the capacity of a retarded 10 year old
now..

I'm sure John McCain is a fine guy, but electing anyone
that old to office worries me. But hey, Regan did ok, so
who knows?

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law, Jeff. But you make a great point. McCain is 72 and the average age for an American male is 75! Combine that with his choice of a complete ninny for running mate, and there is plenty for this country to be scared about.

As Scott said above, if preparing for the debate is "really hard" because Palin hasn't a clue about world affairs, then how much else will be "really hard" for her if McCain kicks the bucket or has an incapacitating illness. This really isn't a risk our country needs to take right now.

McCain is 72 and the average age for an American male is 75! Combine that with his choice of a complete ninny for running mate, and there is plenty for this country to be scared about.

After I wrote this, I decided to do a little research. McCain often cites his mother as an example of long-life genetics in his family. But he never mentions his father or grandfather in this argument. Why? Because his father died at 70 years of age and his grandfather only made it to 61! So, does he take after his mother's side or his father's side?

This really underscores the need for McCain to have selected a running mate that is experienced and qualified to take over the Office. His choice of Palin was a slap in the face to the American voter. His life expectancy is short and he ignored numerous qualified possibilities for second-in-line in favor of Palin. This sort of poor judgment on behalf of our Country needs to be recognized and dealt a harsh blow by voters come November.

Sarah Palin's performance surprised me. She didn't have a complete meltdown, which is good because in my feeling sorry for her I really didn't want to see this poor woman suffer anymore. She has embarrassed herself enough of late and most people watched the debate last night out a sort of sick curiosity -- kind of like a no-holds-barred bare knuckle fight, most people watch to see the disaster unfold. It wasn't there, but it was close at times.

It became apparent to me that Palin was avoiding the questions and sticking very strictly to her prepared points. About halfway through the debate, one could tell that see was simply covering the same ground over and over again. North to South, East to West, she simply rambled out the same talking points again and again -- Not really compelling. Safe, perhaps. But not reassuring.

The last quarter of the debate was a disaster-in-the-making for her, talking mostly gibberish and even breaking into a Couric-interview-like rambling fruitloop on a couple of occasions. This was no win for Palin in any way other than she did not humiliate herself. Biden remained calm and avoided the traps of beating up on her and looking like a meanie-bastard.

But what really put me off was Sarah's colloquialisms, winking, kiss blowing and unashamed quoting of Reagan. She came off as unprofessional, un-presidential, and light on the facts. She may not have imploded like so many expected, but she didn't help the McCain campaign either.

~VDR

VP debate...

Ok.. Biden didn't eat Palin for lunch.. But everything she said last night was SO rehearsed. She spent the last 10 days cramming and memorizing....There's not an original thought in that woman's head...

Part of the idea of these debates is so the American public can see the personalities of the candidates...

Her "folksy" little smiles and winks and mannerisms are focking annoying as hell! She claims to be like all the other middle class people in America... Excuse me, but I don't want just a "normal" person in the White House - I want someone in there who is smarter than the average American and knows WTF they're doing!!!

IMHO, Palin is a nice lady, but she's unqualified to be in the White House and last night she proved it to America.

Last edited:
and another thing...

It really disturbs me that Palin says she doesn’t care about what’s causing global warming. If you don’t know what’s causing it, how can you stop it?

She and the rest of the Republicans don’t care about global warming and their answer to the energy crisis is to drill in Alaska and help us not be so dependent on foreign oil. The real answer is to develop alternate non-petroleum based energy sources… Wind, solar, etc….

And she said several times last night about how the Dems were “looking back” and that this country needs to look forward. I think we need to look back and see what we did wrong so we can learn from our mistakes…. Republican mistakes, I might add…

I have to agree with some of these sentiments.

First of all, it is a sad state of affairs when your performance is considered a "success" merely because you didn't make a complete fool of yourself. If our bar is set so low for someone who could assume the role of President at any moment, what does that say about our country and this election?

Second, it was clear last night that Palin merely regurgitated rehearsed talking points over and over, and avoided dealing directly with any question for which she didn't have a rehearsed talking point. In that way, she really resembled our current President when he gives a press conference. This is not the type of obfuscation that we need more of in the White House.

It was humorous that Palin accused Biden of "looking back" when the question being answered was asking for them to do just that. Palin tried to be folksy and cute, and succeeded. But she utterly failed to give anyone any confidence that she has an understanding of important issues and the ability to lead this nation if necessary. In that regard, her performance was pathetic.

Biden gave clear, distinct answers to the questions that showed he possessed an understanding of the issues and an ability to distinguish policy from rhetoric. He continuously referred back to actual facts regarding McCain & Obama's records, instead of regurgitating misleading "gotcha" phrases (like Palin's white flag of surrender comment).

Palin's answers were evasive, rhetorical, and rehearsed. Had Palin actually been a candidate with experience and ability, she would have been skewered for her lackluster knowledge and refusal to address questions she had no talking points for. As it was, the bar was set so low for her that she is perceived to have succeeded just because she didn't completely implode! This is a sad commentary on this election and particularly on McCain and his choice for Vice President.

Finally, the scariest part of the debate last night was when Palin agreed with Dick Cheney's view of the Vice Presidency as being part of the Legislative, and not Executive, branch of our government. This alone is enough to disqualify her for consideration in my view.

I also found it quite humorous that she continuously stressed that greater regulation of the financial markets was necessary, when McCain has a consistent record in favor of deregulation. That was completely disingenuous on her part and shows that she is willing to lie to the people for short-term political gain, rather than be honest about the record. Another example of this is when she castigated Obama for voting on certain amendments when McCain voted the same way! That is absolutely dishonest and we have had way too much of that kind of dishonesty in the White House for the past eight years.

Last edited:
Her "folksy" little smiles and winks and mannerisms are focking annoying as hell! She claims to be like all the other middle class people in America... Excuse me, but I don't want just a "normal" person in the White House - I want someone in there who is smarter than the average American and knows WTF they're doing!!!

McCain and the Republicans have insulted the American people with the selection of Palin.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dear ML Amigos,

As we have all painfully learned in the recent past, never underestimate what the "general American voter" will decide to do for whatever reason.

It really hurts to admit that this is reality. I have absolutely no confidence in the American electorate to choose a President based on a defensible, reasoned logic / thought process.

Unfortunately that, IMHO, is the state of this Country.

IDEA

Let's get rid of the Electoral College. That's a first step to realizing the dream / concept, that everyone's vote counts and that we do live in a true democracy.

Second. Legislate term limits. Without such legislation, the old ideas (protecting your constituency) become entrenched in the legislative process.

Look what happened today with the rescue package. Enough earmarks to totally change the voting result in the HOR.

GG

No, it's Obama who thinks he is god and talks down to everone. When this all started I was independent and uncommitted, I even threw some financial support towards Obama during the primaries before I figgured out how shallow the man really is. As time has progressed,he has proven over and over that he will say anything and act any way that will bring him votes. The so call "humility" that Gordon talks of is entirely an act. The real BO is a snob and a know it all. What was on stage Friday night was a fabrication. Familiarity, when unwelcomed is a sign of manipulation, not humility. It would have been much more appropriate for him to adress McCain as Senator than by his first name.

Oh Yeah? But somehow, "Can I call you Joe?" was OK??? :rolleyes:

Not to mention McCain's arrogance in NEVER looking at or engaging Obama -- kinda like Nixon in his debates with Kennedy, as I recall...

And, for you and anyone else who persists in referring to Obama as "God" or "The Chosen One" or any of those other insulting names, Shame On You!!! If the best you can do is denigrate another, it is evident you have little to offer.
An apology is in order here, I believe...

It is very hard to trust someone who changes his positions, his word and his demenaor as often as he changes underwear.

Oh yeah? Name, oh, say seven examples of all this. We have no idea what the heck you're talking about, otherwise.

I have many friends in positions with other governments throughout the world. When BO when on his "Victory Tour" they were all scratching they heads asking...what is that act all about. Most Government leaders throught the world are routing for Obama because they know he is weak, a camellion and and a placator, this will allow them to "get their way" more readily. Yes, Obama knows how to talk tough when he thinks it's too his advantage, but he doesn't know how to "be tough" when it matters. It's more important for him to be popular. I can't see us coming out ahead in any negotiation directed by a placator.

Now, exactly HOW do you "KNOW" that "...he doesn't know how to "be tough" when it matters? Just sounding off with your OPINION hardly contributes to an enlightened discussion...

But, boy, you sure do seem to despise this guy. BTW, was your earlier support for Obama just part of the "ditto-head" effort to stop Hillary? I felt the need to ask because it sure seems like so much of what you say here is pure Rush...:D

I beieve that regardless of which one wins we are in for a boatload of trouble because I don't think either will garner the cooperation of Congress. Each has their detractors: McCain because he has been too independent for so long that he has wound up in opposition to just about everone at one time or another, and Obama is too much of a lightweight to earn the respect of the elder statesmen especially the right.

Piece of cake -- just be sure to elect enough Democrats to overcome those obstinate, progress-hating Republicans in Congress...:D

Unfortunatly, many of you, as many of the general population hate our current President and are inappropriately transferring that hatred to McCain. Unfortunatly, that gives the man two strikes before ge even steps up to the plate...which I believe is unfair...but who says life is fair...right!

Well, again I will say that I was a very strong supporter of McCain when he ran in 2000. Wish he had become President then -- things would have been so much better for ALL of us in this Country. But, Bush and his HASSHAT henchman Rove unleashed lie after lie about McCain (especially in the hotly contested South Carolina primary) that Bush won the nomination (NOT the Presidential Election, Mind You). :mad: Just awful for our Country...

And, it was McCain who -- sadly -- "sold his soul" to support Bush in the '04 election, thereby immediately destroying his credibility. He KNEW than -- as so many did -- that Bush was not only corrupt, and a liar, and a sorry-*ss excuse for a President (or even a sorry excuse for a Man, for that matter), but still sold out to him. How ironic it is that Bush's support in now worth LESS than nothing...

To use a worn out phrase...you just don't understand

I do understand -- evidently far better than some on this forum!:D

BTW, for the record I have been a registered Republican for many years.

Doesn't mean I'm willing to vote for a someone as as ridiculous as "W", tho.

As someone who also served in the military (during part of the time McCain was a POW), I greatly honor and respect his service to his Country, and the very, very difficult time he endured as a POW. It is difficult for me to even imagine what that situation must have been like, and I respect the heck out of him for having come through it.

I really like McCain. I just don't like where he stands on the issues. :(

Oh Yeah? But somehow, "Can I call you Joe?" was OK??? :rolleyes:

My initial reaction to this was Palin showing great sense to humanise the process and establish herself in the minds of the audience as "one of the neighbours" just like us. I thought Biden made an early mistake in seizing her elbow as well as her hand in a classic alpha male move.

However Palin completely blew this opening with her "say it ain't so Joe" statement which I think was the only time she used his forename otherwise. It was merely setting up one of her prepared speech lines.

This will almost certainly be generational but anyone who needs to hear their title before their name instantly loses credibility.

Kevin

My initial reaction to this was Palin showing great sense to humanise the process and establish herself in the minds of the audience as "one of the neighbours" just like us. I thought Biden made an early mistake in seizing her elbow as well as her hand in a classic alpha male move.

However Palin completely blew this opening with her "say it ain't so Joe" statement which I think was the only time she used his forename otherwise. It was merely setting up one of her prepared speech lines.

This will almost certainly be generational but anyone who needs to hear their title before their name instantly loses credibility.

Kevin

Yeah, I was actually OK with her initial comment to Biden too, although it was probably designed by her handlers to try to catch Biden off-guard and be off-putting. :rolleyes: I was just responding to DrJRapp's comment: "Familiarity, when unwelcomed is a sign of manipulation, not humility." And my thinking was that it takes a hell of a lot of nerve to criticize Obama (while being somewhat vague regarding the alleged offense) while giving Palin a pass.

Yeah, I was actually OK with her initial comment to Biden too, although it was probably designed by her handlers to try to catch Biden off-guard and be off-putting. :rolleyes: I was just responding to DrJRapp's comment: "Familiarity, when unwelcomed is a sign of manipulation, not humility." And my thinking was that it takes a hell of a lot of nerve to criticize Obama (while being somewhat vague regarding the alleged offense) while giving Palin a pass.

That's exactly why she deliberatly and respectfully asked Biden if she could call him Joe and he responded affirmatively ...then it would not be unwelcomed, and she would not be perceived as making the same mistake that BO did.

Last edited:
Top 10 Corporate PAC Contributors:

Obama:
Goldman Sachs $739,521

UBS AG $419,550

Lehman Brothers $391,774

Citigroup Inc $492,548

Morgan Stanley $341,380

Latham & Watkins $328,879

Google Inc $487,355

JPMorgan Chase & Co $475,112

Sidley Austin LLP $370,916

Skadden, Arps et al $360,409

McCain:
Merrill Lynch $349,170

Citigroup Inc $287,801

Morgan Stanley $249,377

Wachovia Corp $147,456

Goldman Sachs $220,045

Lehman Brothers $115,707

Bear Stearns $108,000

JPMorgan Chase & Co $206,392

Bank of America $133,975

Credit Suisse Group $175,503

How unfortunate that Karl Rove has now reared his ugly head into the campaign. Evening News reports say that McCain is now running 100% Negative ads...

We've been "Slimed."

Just Sad...:(

Hi Len,

I see this as a clear indication that the Republican ticket is on the run and starting to panic. Polls indicate that the Dems are pulling ahead.

Now Obama is a liar and hanging out with terrorists. :ROFL:

What next, pray tell?

Tis a classic Republican "fear" tactic that the idiot president used so often. However, in this case, I believe it will backfire.

President Obama. Sounds pretty sweet to me. :D

GG

In January, at a rally in Michigan, McCain promised to run a positive campaign. Now that he is behind with a short time to go, he has gone completely negative. He is avoiding any discussion of the economy, jobs, health care, and all of the other issues that matter to America, but instead is focusing his entire campaign on creating fear of Obama with lies, distortions, and hyperbole. I guess when he decided to quit Michigan, he decided that he would give up honoring any promises he made while campaigning there.

McCain gave up his maverick status when he caved to Bush and the evangelicals; he gave up his POW sympathy factor when he refused to take a stand against Bush on the Guantanamo torture issue; he gave up his leadership credibility when he chose Palin as a running mate; and now he has given up the moral high road by abrogating his promise to run a positive campaign. What else is there left for him to give up? Any hope of becoming president.

Back