Martin Logan Summit. Prodigy/Odyssey replacement. EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I was a bit harsh at first. Sorry, :(

I should of held my tongue (or more correctly fingers), and gave it some time. The more I see it the more I like it. I think in a different color it would be good. I am not the designer, they are, I should respect what they do. The only thing I am thinking now is if they routed the corners a bit.

I would also like to thank Martin Logan for sending us the info. Many thanks.

Peter Klim, you should be an interior designer!

The new design is quite interesting isn't it? That photo of the rack does match it quite well. I can understand other's concerns about the "IKEA" type of look. The wooden panelling is nice- the panels seem to float/suspend above the woofer now which is a continuation of the Clarity model. At first glance, it does look a little different and slightly awkward- some people simply are not used to the shape and size of the woofer cabinet which seems a little too boxy and small (ratio-wise) compared to the panels. However it appears that the panels are meant to be highlighted to emphasize the uniqueness of the electrostatic technology. I also agree with Nick that it does grow on you after a while. You can refer to my article on the architecture of ML speakers- it appears I will have to do an updated/follow-up to the article regarding the new designs.
smile.gif

Oh one more thing that would have been nice (not saying its not nice now). Take a look at the base of Dynaudio's Contour floor standing speakers

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/contour/s54/s54.htm

It has legs adjustable from the TOP of the base,I could see the summit sitting on something like that instead of four legs..............Just a thought.

its a very interesting design. I certainly applaud ML for daring to be different. at first glance i was skeptical, but the more i look, the more i really love the lines. i do hope that there is a rear firing woofer.

sign me up. ill have a pair.

All that hoopla and wait for a smaller panel than the ascent hooked to a powered sub-woofer in the ugliest cabinet I've ever seen.....sorry can't see it selling much.

Dan

DanR said:
All that hoopla and wait for a smaller panel than the ascent hooked to a powered sub-woofer in the ugliest cabinet I've ever seen.....sorry can't see it selling much.

I wouldn't be so hasty in your assumptions. Old-skool ML fans also said the new Ascent/Aeon look wouldn't sell... I happen to like the new look (in black, that is)... :)

Looks good. Can't wait to hear it!

Love the clean modern design! They should put an add in DWELL magazine. Hope is sounds as good as it looks!

It'll sell,and sell well,it will depend on the sonics. There must be some new technology in there somewhere to allow this smaller panel sound better than the Prodigy and Odyssey.

We'll see when it hit's the market?

One thing that we all need to remember is that we all are previous owners and have our speakers and I'm sure some of you will sell your Odyssey's and Prodigy's and buy the new speaker? The problem I see is bringing in NEW buyers. It had better look appealing to the masses because that's where the profit is going to be? I'm getting used to it after looking at it more. I just don't know how it's output is going to be in a large room compared to the Prodigy/Odyssey? :confused:

The nice thing is with it having an amplified woofer section is that there is no need to bi-wire. A singe pair of high quality posts should put an easier load on the amplifier. Nonimal impedance for the Odyseey was 4 with 1 ohm at 20k(still find that hard to believe),hopefully the Summit will be more Amplifier friendly.

The more I look at the box,the more I think it has the same woofer setup as Odyssey,8 inch woofer up front and a 10 inch woofer in back.

As regards aesthetics,my wife loves the Dynaudio Contour S5.4...............wonder why? The fine cabinetry of Dynaudio's box. The finish matches if not exceeds that of our furniture. If my wife is a sample of what factors go into the purchase of an expensive speaker (WAF), it was a MUST then that ML introduced more wood veneers into their higher end speakers.

Again,I like it,can't wait to hear my favorite Steely Dan CD on them.

Very interesting design, and quite a departure from the older ML's designs. It is definitely a look that will take some getting used to, but there is no denying that it offers a truly modern style. I do agree with others that it's look would benefit from a more rounded woofer cabinet design. The stat panel is pretty impressive though. :) I'm also curious as to what the replacement for the Theater i is going to look like. We'll see. Thank you Tom for sharing the Photo and info on this new ML model.

SV

Personally I love the new look but I can see how it would not fit into many decors –even in black. Why can’t ML just make a panel (like the CLS) with a pair of separate but matching/connected subs (other than the Statement of course)? Or at least give the consumer the option…hey that would be really cool if you could choose separate the sub from the panel or leave them connected. I think that would certainly help with the set-up.

Also, I’m a little baffled by the use of four feet? Wouldn’t it make more sense to use three ‘cones’ for better balance and decoupling from the floor?

What about the amplifiers. Any idea what kind of amplifiers they are using for the subs? Perhaps the smaller size of the enclosure could be attributed to the new breed to Digital (ICE) amplifiers (as used by the new B&W sub and Roland Amps) http://www.medicom.bang-olufsen.com

Also, any rumours at CES about a CLSIIz replacement? There have been such rumours for years now but I fear that this will never materialize. Perhaps, with the new stator technology there is no need for such a large panel anymore?

-Alex

What a monster! Guess I should take REALLY good care of my Prodigies, looks like the end of the line for ML and me, next step I guess will have to be Wilsons, sigh :-(

Judge them by their sound, not their looks ...

I snuck into ML's demo room on Sat. night at CES and was treated to a demo of the Summit's.

Upon seeing the Summit, my first reaction was "What have they done to my beloved Martin Logan's?!" Design wise, the Summit is a significant departure stylistically from previous ML products. It is no exaggeration to say they are significantly smaller than the Prodigys, and smaller overall in fact than my Ascents. Despite their size, I believe one of the ML reps stated that the Summit's panel actually has a larger surface area than the panel of the Prodigy!

It is true that there will be an all black finish version of Summit which should start around $8,000.00 and the price of the speaker will increase from there, based on finishes and materials you select as options. The polished chrome version (shown in the photo that started this thread) will be around $14,000. At the demo, an all black Summit left channel was mated with a polished chrome Summit to show there was no difference sonically between the speakers.

The two-channel performance of the Summit's that I heard at the show was simply amazing. The ML reps claimed these speakers would acheive new levels of transparency over previous ML products (even the Prodigys) and they were not lying!

As far as bass performance goes, no one will ever be able to claim ML's are bass shy after hearing the Summits! The rep claimed the Summits bass would go down as deep as 25hz, and judging by the demo, it felt as if that were the case.

From listening to the Summits for about five minutes (FWIW), the bass was solid, deep and clear, but almost too strong, especially for two channel performance. It sounded to me as if ML had isolated each aspect of the speaker's performance and enhanced it individually, but hadn't yet come up with exactly the right harmony between the two elements.

Of course, the summit is still in prototype stage, and knowing ML, they will have that hammered out by the time the Summit reaches its final production stage.

Two days later, I still have reservations about the design of the Summit. I flat out dislike it at first, but as someone posted above, after a while of looking at it, the design can grow on you.

However, any reservations I had about the design were easily surpassed by the performance of the product. Especially when you consider that for $2,000 less than the Prodigys you can have a pair of speakers (in all black finish) that outperforms them!

If you are put off by the design of these speakers at first, as I was, I urge you to give them a listen before making a final judgment on them. You may find, as I did, that their superior performance surpasses any objections you have to their design!

From what I can remember of the demo equipment, each Summit was powered by Parasound amps (probably the big monoblocks - sorry, don't know which model), wired with Kimber Kable KS speaker cables. I may be wrong about this, but I believe the Summits were bi-wired as well.

Hay Rebel

Can you remember how wide the panels were on the summit? I was looking at photo’s of the Ascent I and summit side by side and it looks like the Summits panel is 4 feet tall the same as Ascent, Odyssey, and Prodigy. Under close examining the two, it looks like the Summit has a wider panel than the ascent? What makes the summit smaller than the Ascent i is the bass box, it’s much smaller.

Here is a quick photo I composited together.
Note: The photos are not exactly to scale.

Attachments

• SummitAscent2.jpg
    SummitAscent2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 9,305
Last edited:
first off what is the crossover point to the xstat? could it be a full range panel, seems like it would with a powered sub/bass unit??
so alot of people are bashing it hard! the summit prices out 2k less than the prodigys and M.L. is giving us a free power amp for the bass unit whats not hate, maybe i should trade my prodigys and electronics for a bose wave radio?
very interesting speaker will wait to hear them before i comment on how they look! from what rebel and double d said of the performance should be worth the wait. smaller and less money than the prodigys and better sound only ML could pull that off
davei

Zip3kx07 said:
Hay Rebel

Can you remember how wide the panels were on the summit? I was looking at photo’s of the Ascent I and summit side by side and it looks like the Summits panel is 4 feet tall the same as Ascent, Odyssey, and Prodigy. Under close examining the two, it looks like the Summit has a wider panel than the ascent? What makes the summit smaller than the Ascent i is the bass box, it’s much smaller.

Here is a quick photo I composited together.
Note: The photos are not exactly to scale.

Doesn't the Ascent have a 10 inch sub? Looks like the summit may have an 8 incher in front and a 12 in back. If you lower the Summit's woofer to the verrrrrrrry bottom of the speaker,lower than the woofer on the Ascents,that leaves you more room for a panel,with the overall height being roughly the same as the Ascents. That would explain how it can be smaller than the Prodigy and have as much if not more panel.

new logan...

Hola, just came from the show and I heard them...and also I was told that ML team is thinking that there will be a non amp. version. There will be black version available too. All I can say is: 1) the best panel integration to woofer that I have ever heard from a Logan 2) I liked very much the bass, but also I rather will like to have a version without the built-in self power low frequency woffers.
The look at the pictures do not benefit at all the look of them in person...they look much, much much better, but I was really impressed with the dynamics of the new panel...same size as the Ascent i, but better placed, all panel is usable...in the other models, there are part at the bottom where it is not use complete back-front-down panel. The construction is very well done, and the frame that is securing the panel is better than the other models...at the beggining you don't like their look, but as soon as you spent some time with them, you get used to them...and started to liking the look.
3)sound: unmatched!!!! the best dynamics, instrument size, timbre, image, scenario, depth, front to back feeling the musician playing for you. The room setting there was to demo the woofers amplifier (big bass energy). There will be no need for a sub whith this model. Clean, fast, with power, but to my liking, the seeting was with big!!! bass. I asked why (and the response of Mr. Rafael Navares-ML Presindent) and he said that the big drum that I was listenig in that recording was the closest to the real thing! I went to a show of the Cirque du Soleil water show at the Bellagio, and there was a big drum played on the scenario...as soon as I heard that there, I did recall what I heard at ML room...and found out why Mr. Navares said that...big clean bass with tons of energy!!! one of the best that I have ever heard also!...
Some of my impressions,
Regards from Costa Rica, my friends...
Roberto.

Last edited:
Back