Martin Logan Shower Cleaning PDF

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

Robert D

Reaction score
A few years ago I washed my old SL3 panels and while it restored them to maybe 80%, one of them did acquire an occasional buzz that i believe was due to the adhesives of the foam separators deteriorating. Spraying water in there created some gaps or loose spots, and certain frequencies would excite a buzz. It was only occasional on loud music, but finally, about a year ago, I got new panels from ML, and now my SL3's are good as new! Maybe even better with the new panels. I bought some new X-over caps too, but haven't installed them yet.
Yeah, the new panels use a newer coating and a few other things are different. They are supposed to be better overall. ML has some literature on it.

Nardix

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I went through the process of Cleaning my Martin Logan Quest Stators in the shower.

I wrote the process down and created a PDF for everyone.

Hope this helps those interested in doing the same.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks to Tom for hosting for me

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~t...n Logan Quest Stator Panel Shower Washing.pdfhttp://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/ML/Martin Logan Quest%2
Thanks for sharing! it's just about spraying water or you use any kind of soap / detergent? Thanks !!!!

drkumarmp

Reaction score

Check this post for my latest experiance with washing.

Thanks for sharing! it's just about spraying water or you use any kind of soap / detergent? Thanks !!!!

Jazzman53

Reaction score
I've never washed a panel and don't know the answer to your question, or what the recommended procedure is.

However; I will caution you that most dish detergents contain a conductive salt called sodium laurel sulfate. And in fact; liquid dish soap is often used by DIY ESL speaker builders to make the diaphragm conductive (i.e. a 50/50 mix of water/dish soap wiped on with a cotton ball works perfectly as a conductive coating).

So; if you opt to use any kind of soap, make very, very sure that you thoroughly rinse away all traces of the soap because any that's left can create a conduction path between the diaphragm and stator(s) which would drain charge off the diaphragm-- you definitely would not want that.

Nardix

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, being honest the sole idea of washing a speaker of any king gives me the shivers. At this point if I move forward most likely I feel like replacing the panels...

Tmort

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, being honest the sole idea of washing a speaker of any king gives me the shivers. At this point if I move forward most likely I feel like replacing the panels...
I had a panel with some issues that I hoped would be solved with washing. While it’s a daunting thought it’s pretty easy and while it didn’t create the change I was looking for it didn’t degrade it either.
I did once with just water then a second time later with a 50/50 mix of simple green that I dipped a horse hair brush in and washed / soaped the panel with. In a bathtub with a handheld shower attachment made it easy work. Rinse very well then rinse with distilled water and let air dry for 24 hours.
if you think your panel is dirty / compromised I’d suggest “you have nothing to lose” if panel replacement is already your considered alternative.