Making a CLX into a CLS?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathantw

Reaction score
I was watching some Youtube videos of the CLX at CES. Why couldn't Martin Logan just sell the voice panel and not the large flat "bass" panel? The bass could be handled by a separate subwoofer somewhere further from the panel. The panel would be much, much thinner than the older CLS panels but would be an updated version of it and probably more affordable.

What do you think? Makes me wonder why Martin Logan hasn't done this yet.

Hola. Have you ever seen the electronic components that handles the stat panels? There are a lot of electronics involved at their design and not just the stat panel. Special toroidal transformers too that feed the audio signal to the stat panels. It is not that easy task. I think would be much cheaper to buy a complete model to Martin Logan, than just buy the stat panel (you can do that too) and you do the rest. It would be a nice science project, but not an easy one. Happy listening!

Hola. Have you ever seen the electronic components that handles the stat panels? There are a lot of electronics involved at their design and not just the stat panel. Special toroidal transformers too that feed the audio signal to the stat panels. It is not that easy task. I think would be much cheaper to buy a complete model to Martin Logan, than just buy the stat panel (you can do that too) and you do the rest. It would be a nice science project, but not an easy one. Happy listening!

Hi!
I've seen the electronics that go into the electrostatics first hand. I've owned a pair since 1988 and have been following them on and off. There's no reason why they couldn't make just the panels and put the electronics somewhere near the base. They did it for the CLS in the past so ML is quite capable of doing it. The subwoofer could go somewhere else in the room thus all your guests would see is this panel magically making music. As it stands now everyone comes by and says "what's that thing on top of your speakers (the woofer)?"

It would not work because you still would need a woofer. The panel by itself will not play low enough to mate to a subwoofer.

The reason the CLX has bass panels is because that's what it takes to reproduce the mid-bass range of roughly 60 to 450 Hz.

A speaker with just the CLX stat panel will not play low-enough (or won't go loud enough in low frequencies) to ever cross over to a sub.

The reason ML engineered the dualforce bass panel is precisely so they *could* make a wider range ESL system. And they succeeded admirably. Works waaay better than an old CLS ever could or will.

The mid-bass range is the trickiest to engineer in any type of speaker system, more so in an electrostatic dipole. The CLX is quite the achievement IMHO.

Hola. I just wonder why this two Costarrican guys (Jonfo and me) love the sound of the CLX. I think it is a new way of listening to the music, or better say, listening the the musicians in your own room!. Yes, Jonfo, there is a lot of new engineering, using the dual bass panels in a bipolar configuration, the bass is that good, only a sub for the very low frequency is needed- Sometimes, I play my music without sub, and I do like very much what I do listen. Some deeper notes are not present with the same SLP of the upper bass notes, but not a problem at all...my sub is setted at 40Hz frequency cut. There is where I do like it!. Happy listening to all.

Back