Maggies with Martin Logans?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
I have 2 ML systems in 2 seperate rooms: a ReQuest 2CH and a Sequel II HT system.

I need to get some surrounds for the HT. I don't have the room for another set of electrostatics, so I was thinking of getting some Magneplan MMG W surrounds. Only $300 a set new, but I have found a seller selling it used (he purchased my old HT speakers last month from me). I don't want to spend more money (like on maybe used ATF ML's) because one day I will combine the ReQuest with the Sequel's into a single HT system once I get a bigger place. Would the Maggies be a pretty decent match with the Sequel's?

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGW

Last edited:
I had a set of MMG for a bedroom 2 channel system and loved the sound. I think the MMG speakers are a great deal at the price Magnepan sells them for. The MMGs will be a good fit with your MLs.

Enjoy!

Hmmm...what about the Maggie Centers? MMG C or CC3 I believe?

I realize that a Cinema or Theater would match better (I have Ascent i's up front), but for the $$$ I'm guessing the maggies would be competitive.

Anyone tried this?

BTW, I have a B&W Center right now.

A friend has the MMG C's in a HT setup with MMG's, Iam not impressed. the MMG's alone in 2 channel thats different. My maggies are taking a nap in the closet while I fiddle with the sequel 2's I picked up, so Iam not biased. These are apples and oranges here, they each have their own virtues. In my opinion I believe that the Maggies and the ML's are at their best as stand alone 2 channel bliss. Iam no audiophile, and will never pretend to be, I have too many other irons in the fire to get that envolved. Some people love these speakers and some hate them. Me I like them both.

I had a pair of SMG c's, and I was using them as rear's combined with Aerius i's for the fronts. While the radiation pattern is similar between the two, the Maggies just seemed closed in and tonally didn't match the Aerius' verry well.

I am currently using a pair of Mirage Onmisat's mounted on the ceiling and their brighter tonal balance and omni radiation pattern seems to work quite well as stealthy surrounds. They might be worth investigating.

Chuck

Yeah, I suspected that the Maggie centers may not integrate across the front nearly as well as a ML.

My issue is that I currently don't have a ML center, and wont be able to afford one any time soon. So I guess I'm wondering if the Maggie solution would be better than my current B&W (CC6 I think?) and "hold me over" until I can spring for a used cinema or theather.

I had a pair of SMG c's, and I was using them as rear's combined with Aerius i's for the fronts. While the radiation pattern is similar between the two, the Maggies just seemed closed in and tonally didn't match the Aerius' verry well.

I am currently using a pair of Mirage Onmisat's mounted on the ceiling and their brighter tonal balance and omni radiation pattern seems to work quite well as stealthy surrounds. They might be worth investigating.

Chuck

I've heard that about the Omnisats (probably here!).

Sounds like an attractive solution for surrounds. I believe they run about $250 ea, no? So I guess $1000 for a set of 4 to round out a 7.1 system is attractive, vs say 4 scripts.

I've heard that about the Omnisats (probably here!).

Sounds like an attractive solution for surrounds. I believe they run about $250 ea, no? So I guess $1000 for a set of 4 to round out a 7.1 system is attractive, vs say 4 scripts.

Yep, heard it here, and probably from me, as I have a pair of OmniSat FX side speakers. They work very well, especially as sides.

In a smaller system two pairs of omnistats would be a good compliment for the surround duties.

The ability to place them higher up on the wall is a big plus for certain scenarios. Like mine, where one is over a door.

A No Go :(

First, I want to thank everyone who replied with suggestions/comments.

Now, today I went over to listen to the Maggies and, although they sounded good, they didn't sound no where as close to what Martin Logans sound like. They do have some of the 3 Dimensional magic like MLs, but they just sounded so dull compared to MLs.

Plus, the are even more critical with speaker palcement then MLs. Angle one of them 5 degrees in one direction and then it sounds almost as if just one is being played. Sometimes I like to lay down to watch a movie and for those times the Maggies will be worthless.

I've also listened to the Mirage Omnistats a couple of months back (while helping my buddy get his first system. It was his idea to find some to audition, but then I convinced him to triple his budget and get some ML's instead :devil: ) Well, needless to say I was not impressed with them either.

Sooo, what's next up the money ladder? Try out some ML ATF speakers (Fresco/Vingette)?

Back