Lets get 'Wired' !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, you trying liven things up around here?:D The RR thread is always good fuel for the fire. At some of the less civilized forums I visit he's called a charlatan or the savior depending on your side.

I personally have to listen for an extended period of time to make a decision on a wire. I'm learning how to listen to different aspects of music that are appealing or not to me. I'd love to have Gordon or Rich over for an afternoon and teach me how to listen over a bottle of wine and a nice cigar! However, without that insight, I have learned that nothing is beyond belief when it comes to wire. Gordon introduced me to the Mapleshade line and I learned the strength's and weaknesses of that line. I've since moved on to something else and will probably do so again.

Steve, you have some fine gear. You paid good money for it, I know, I'm a Mac freak:D Open your mind just a bit. You've upgraded your TT, amps and pre. Why not the wires? If components can sound "different" why can't wires?

RR should not have gone to a "boutique wire" if he feels that strongly that wire is wire. I realize he wanted to sell speakers but I think he sold out and invalidated his thoughts and opinions on wire when he went upscale to sell speakers. I also think it is not fair to judge the man strictly on his wire views. He has done some amazing things in other areas of audio but the anti-wire folks just latch on to this one area of thought.

Gordon

Steve, you have some fine gear. You paid good money for it, I know, I'm a Mac freak:D Open your mind just a bit. You've upgraded your TT, amps and pre. Why not the wires? If components can sound "different" why can't wires?

Gordon

you make a good point just remember I have a bit of the devil's advocate in me it's just how I get the most out of you guys I hope no harm done.I will admit I do not know everything but that does not mean that I will go out and buy any "better" wire I still think that there are real reasons that can be explained easily why some amps sound better than others and different TT and so on that's not really the case for wire I feel as though the wire manufactures exploit the fact that most people myself included do not have a really intimate understanding of electrical engineering.

Last edited:
Steve,

If you have any desire to investigate the wire issue any further, you can always contact the Cable Company aka fatwyre. They have a substantial inventory of products (lending library) that you can audition for a nominal fee.

If you decide you like the product, the minor fee you pay upfront will be credited towards the purchase.

Gordon, thanks for the kind words. As for the "how to listen" question, I believe its a skill one can naturally acquire the more you listen to your system or others. IMO, the best avenue is to expose yourself to as much live / unamplified music as possible.

As some of you may know, the majority of music I listen to is jazz or classical. I find that a well recorded piece of classical music allows one substantial insight into a systems performance given the wide breath of instruments and dynamics contained in this type of material.

Regarding the alleged benefits of A-B switching, I don't believe it allows the listener to hear the acoustics of the recording venue or the dimensionality / dynamic nuances of a particular piece, which varies widely with classical music.

No problem playing the devils advocate. Done judiciously, it will elicit comments that will hopefully provide you with additional insights into our wonderful hobby.

GG

As some of you may know, the majority of music I listen to is jazz or classical.
So Gordon, when are you going to do reviews of your favourite jazz and classical pieces? I have done a couple, and I have no music background at all.

So Gordon, when are you going to do reviews of your favourite jazz and classical pieces? I have done a couple, and I have no music background at all.

Bernard,

If I felt it would be of benefit to the Club, I would do so.

I guess I'm not convinced of that but will consider based on feedback.

Absent that, I will gladly provide you with some of my favorite recordings. Bare in mind that my tastes tend more towards the abstract side of the equation these days.

As an aside, I was approached by an individual who's involved with a new public radio station here in the valley requesting that I host a show centered around my musical interests.

Intriguing idea.

Gordon

Absent that, I will gladly provide you with some of my favorite recordings. Bare in mind that my tastes tend more towards the abstract side of the equation these days.
Hmmm, I tend to not like abstract at all. My tastes lie squarely in the Romantic period.

I use the audioquest diamondback from my source > pre amp > amp

Steve

With all due respects, with the level of equipment you have, you really need to at least TRY some premium ICs. You will probably be upset because it will shatter your concept of "wire is wire" forever. A few years back my system consisted of a Rotel RSP 1098 processor and a Rotel 5 channel amp and a 2 channel amp. At that time I was using Diamondbacks that a friend of mine had given me a lead on. . Then I upgraded to an Anthem Statement D2 with an Aragon 3005 amp,(retaining the 2 channel Rotel for my Rears). After a few weeks of system break-in my dealer "loaned" me a pair of Synergistic Research Alpha Sterling X2 Actives for my front channels. The AS are considered "entry level high end" but at least one reviewer has said they deliver 95% of what the high price stuff does. The difference from the Diamondbacks was REMARKABLE. I must note that I had not even upgraded to the Summits yet...I was still using a rather "lowly" pair of Klipsch RF7s.

Needless to say my 2 channel high end rig is now all Synergistic, but I have moved up to the Resolution Reference series.

Last edited:
Steve I can appreciate the "devil's advocate" approach. Tends to make discussions lively and spirited! Still think you're selling your system short :D

Gordon I agree with you on the EW rants. I have purchased his product, which I think is very well done. I don't subscribe to his other rants except for the really way out stuff.

Sometimes it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff, sometimes it is quite easy. I'd like to be able to say my principles won't allow me to not purchase his product, but I can't. They are that good.

Gordon

It's just another self serving rant by EW to advance his self interests and sell his product.

After awhile, it gets quite boring.

Given his apparent incessant need to continually preach his dogma, the man must be quite insecure.

GG

whas he pushing a product? I must have missed it???:eek:

Back