Looking for a amp, for ML Sequal II

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

App

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm looking for an "all in one" solution for my pair of 91' Sequal II's.

Some back story, they were gifted to me because I enjoy good audio. Little did I know, I was gifted a rather pricey hobbie lol. However, I would love to set them up and experience them. Hence why I'm looking for a more "all in one" as I'm not experienced well enough yet for all the accoutrement that come with high end audio.

My budget is not crazy either, so if possible, I'd like to stay under 1k used.

I have no other preference other than getting them running, and sounding good :) id be happy enough with that!

So if anyone has any suggestions on what I need in addition to an amp, please let me know too. All I have for these speakers, are the speakers and the cords they came with.

Hi, welcome to the group.

Given your request, I'll suggest something most people don't consider but it is a totally low-cost means of obtaining a tremendous all-in-one method for powering difficult ESL setups, a Sunfire Ultimate receiver. 5x200w of excellent Sunfire power amps in there, along with a decent pre-amp. It does NOT handle any HDMI, but there are a ton of very low-cost HDMI switchers with analog or digital (SPDIF) outputs if you need to deal with that.

For your Sequels, it's a simple setup to drive a stereo pair of speakers. The best part, they are available used for $400 or so on eBay (one up there right now at that price). Most plain Sunfire stereo amps go for way more than that.

Not sure if the config supports a bi-amp set up (IIRC it does), but if so, then you could remove the bridge straps on the Sequel and use the rear channel amps to drive the woofer, and the front channel amps to drive the panels. That is the killer setup.

And because it's a processor, it can be configured to split the low bass out and drive a sub, relieving those old Sequel woofers from that load.

Here is a contemporaneous review of Sunfire Ultimate II AV Receiver

Not sure if the config supports a bi-amp set up (IIRC it does), but if so, then you could remove the bridge straps on the Sequel and use the rear channel amps to drive the woofer, and the front channel amps to drive the panels. That is the killer setup.
Actually, no it does not. It's still a good value for the OP's needs even if all you ever do is use it as 2ch system.

For those who are technical, a better option would be to open it up and hardwire the preamp feeds of L/R to also feed to L/R rear channel amps.

Another option: turn it into a power amp by rewiring the 8ch input straight to the amp inputs and disabling much of the pre-amp circuitry.

Or simply use it in cascade mode, as described here: Sunfire Ultimate II AV Receiver

Reactions: App
Finding an integrated amp to fit your needs might be a challenge, for starters I'd look around and see if anything on the used market fits the bill.

You might have better luck finding a seperate power and pre amp for that price. A cheapish receiver with pre-outs could make for a cheap pre amplifier.

I too am using a Sunfire amp. I do also have a Mark Levinson No23 and a Bryston 3B. The Mark Levinson works well with my Sequel II's but generates a lot of heat. The Bryston was my backup amp while the Sunfire was getting a tune up. The Bryston works very well just does not have as much punch at loud levels as the Sunfire. I am sure a Bryston 4 might be a great inexpensive choice if you can't find a Sunfire. BYW, the Sunfire is my daily driver.

Do you know they work and sound good? I was going to get a set of those same speakers a few years ago and they were done in and sounded horrible. Just a thought.

I've had good luck with The Music Room in Colorado for used gear. They currently have a decent selection of integrated amps for $1K and under that should work well with Sequel IIs. If you could stretch your budget or trade in something for credit they have a Parasound Halo integrated for about $1400, which I think would work well. I briefly used a Halo A21 power amp with Sequel IIs with very pleasing results.

+1 on the music room, about 10-12 years ago the owner just started out buying and selling on craigslist. They are local to me so trying out gear from them is easy.

Do you know they work and sound good? I was going to get a set of those same speakers a few years ago and they were done in and sounded horrible. Just a thought.
I do! :) I borrowed an amp/preamp and a few other things so I could test them to make sure I was not wasting my time. the speakers as well, come from the original owner, who was an audiophile as well.

Finding an integrated amp to fit your needs might be a challenge, for starters I'd look around and see if anything on the used market fits the bill.

You might have better luck finding a seperate power and pre amp for that price. A cheapish receiver with pre-outs could make for a cheap pre amplifier.
Do you think something like a yamaha A-S301 and an emotiva audio BasX PT-100 would be a decent (budget) option?

I too am using a Sunfire amp. I do also have a Mark Levinson No23 and a Bryston 3B. The Mark Levinson works well with my Sequel II's but generates a lot of heat. The Bryston was my backup amp while the Sunfire was getting a tune up. The Bryston works very well just does not have as much punch at loud levels as the Sunfire. I am sure a Bryston 4 might be a great inexpensive choice if you can't find a Sunfire. BYW, the Sunfire is my daily driver.
I will have to look into those! I was informed of the bryston by a friend as well, looks like im going to have to keep my eyes peeled for something in that case. Being in canada, the used options aren't widely available (outside of ebay). So for me, its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I do! :) I borrowed an amp/preamp and a few other things so I could test them to make sure I was not wasting my time. the speakers as well, come from the original owner, who was an audiophile as well.
Thats good news. My Theos sounded great with my ATI AT 1502, better with my Bryston 3BSST2 4BST (aka Lexicon 225) and 4B3. I would recommend those, the ATI can be found pretty reasonably on the used market.

Last edited:
I'd say a really solid option would be a Bryston 4B-ST. Twice the clout of the 3B series, made in Canada, 20 year warranty (tho' the "ST" series is mostly past that now). NOTE: The 4B-ST will be unmerciful - it does not color anything, it is not smoothing... it passes forward what it gets... basically what you want in an amplifier! There is a re-labelled version of the 4B-ST - the Lexicon NT-225. Same amp, different paint job (it has a green line on it!). Should you find one that requires any kind of service, Bryston has been very reasonable in the past, and when they're done servicing one of their amps, it's"good as new". Been running my SL3's/Aerius/Theater/Stage system on Brystons for over 20 years, no complaints at all. Asides from they're heavy!

These Emotiva amps work well on electrostats but will put you over your $1000 budget because you'll need two. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I have one for my electrostatic center channel, and another member is running three of them for all of his speakers up front.

https://emotiva.com/products/hc-1

I will have to look into those! I was informed of the bryston by a friend as well, looks like im going to have to keep my eyes peeled for something in that case. Being in canada, the used options aren't widely available (outside of ebay). So for me, its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Used Canadian audio gear here:

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

I'd say a really solid option would be a Bryston 4B-ST. Twice the clout of the 3B series, made in Canada, 20 year warranty (tho' the "ST" series is mostly past that now). NOTE: The 4B-ST will be unmerciful - it does not color anything, it is not smoothing... it passes forward what it gets... basically what you want in an amplifier! There is a re-labelled version of the 4B-ST - the Lexicon NT-225. Same amp, different paint job (it has a green line on it!). Should you find one that requires any kind of service, Bryston has been very reasonable in the past, and when they're done servicing one of their amps, it's"good as new". Been running my SL3's/Aerius/Theater/Stage system on Brystons for over 20 years, no complaints at all. Asides from they're heavy!
More power is never a bad thing. However with my Theos I do not notice any difference between the 3B sst2 and the 4b3 that I can attribute to having more power of the 4b3. Not at the levels I listen to anyway which is 85 to 90 max, most the time more like 80, both sound fantastic, the 3B sst2 barely breaks a sweat. IDK if the Sequel 2 is harder to power than the Theos, I only mentioned because you can usually find a 3B St or even a 3B SST or newer for cheaper than the 4B St.

Last edited:
Back