Inactive Members/Using Forum for Selling Gear

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems I have seen an upswing lately in people registering as a member of this forum for the sole purpose of advertising gear in our classifieds section. To me, the classifieds is a useful tool for the members of this forum who are generally very trustworthy, but is not really meant for just any yahoo that wants to sell something. I have to say I am not happy about folks using it who are not really contributors to the forum. I was wondering how others thought about this issue.

Also, it seems that our members list is getting crowded with members that only posted a couple of times and then never again. I wonder if it would be a good idea to purge the members list of members who haven't posted in over a year and have less than 10 posts total? What do you guys think?

Just a few thoughts for the forum members and moderators to consider.

Seems I have seen an upswing lately in people registering as a member of this forum for the sole purpose of advertising gear in our classifieds section. To me, the classifieds is a useful tool for the members of this forum who are generally very trustworthy, but is not really meant for just any yahoo that wants to sell something. I have to say I am not happy about folks using it who are not really contributors to the forum. I was wondering how others thought about this issue.

Also, it seems that our members list is getting crowded with members that only posted a couple of times and then never again. I wonder if it would be a good idea to purge the members list of members who haven't posted in over a year and have less than 10 posts total? What do you guys think?

Just a few thoughts for the forum members and moderators to consider.

As long as your not talking about me...yes, yes & yes. I agree.

TomDac??? That's the question.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to purge the members list of members who haven't posted in over a year and have less than 10 posts total? What do you guys think?
I agree, provided that their posts do not automatically get purged as well, as they may have contributed something worthwhile here. Also, when a name gets purged it should be retired permanantly, so you cannot have a new member take over a name and take credit (/blame?) for previous posts.

As far as just listing in the classifieds, I agree. But, I can understand that some people may not have a lot to say, but may just browse, in order to learn something and I have nothing against that.

Good point Bernard.

Although I don't so much care for how populated the members' list is, I don't think the forum should be used as some place to hock gear that any old so-and-so has for sale.

Maybe the classified ad section cold be limited to 50+ posts users?

Good point Bernard.

Although I don't so much care for how populated the members' list is, I don't think the forum should be used as some place to hock gear that any old so-and-so has for sale.

Maybe the classified ad section cold be limited to 50+ posts users?

May I suggest that the ad section be limited to 20 posts? As SlowGeezer noted, a lot of people lurk and read but don't say much. I regard those folks as active members as well. Beyond that, I agree with Rich on the other points.

Most of the other forums require you to have a minimum number of posts before you can post a classified ad. I would think at least 10, but obviously buyer beware regardless.

It's not an issue that concerns me. I don't mind someone using the website for a one-time classified ad. It could be something worthwhile or someone who with a Martin Logan item for sale a looking for a target audience.

There have been a few times where someone has posted a scam or something not appropriate to this forum but the administrators have been good about deleting those and banning the poster.

It's always been mostly a public forum for the past few years. However, it has grown rather large and as a result some policies may need to be re-evaluated in order to effectively manage a large member base and viewing audience.

You guys aren't being snobbish, are you?

This isn't ebay or audiogon. It is the Martin Logan Club . . . "The only fan site dedicated exclusively to the finest loudspeakers in the world!"

If that doesn't define us all as snobs, I don't know what would.

Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming. It's nice to see different perspectives on this issue.

people who have less than 1 post and haven't signed on in 10 days get deleted.

I just went and nuked all user IDs who haven't logged on in 365 days... their posts remain on the site, so no worries there.

Tom.

Last edited:
people who have less than 1 post and haven't signed on in 10 days get deleted.

I just went and nuked all user IDs who haven't logged on in 365 days... their posts remain on the site, so no worries there.

Tom.
I realize you run this place but I dont think you should delete people whom have 1 post and havent logged on it 10 days. I havent posted much and I can go weeks without logging in. I just show up and read. Things happen to people that stop them from logging in. Lets just say i stumpled accross this site and registered and left a hello my name is Mike post, love this site. Now I take off on a vacation or a business trip and dont log in for 2 weeks. I come home and try to log in and make a post but my account has been delted. I, would never return! To me if a site doesn't respect me enough to contact me before deleting my account isn't worth my time.

It comes down to respect. If you don't respect someone whom choose not to post but just wants to learn about this product and look at different ways of setting things up, then delete them. I think you do have respect for people and everyone that has answered my post seem very friendly and willing to help. So be respectfull and contact them and see if they still want to be an active member of this site.

Now for the Classifieds, I have an idea! You could make that a closed area and required people to contact you to place an ad. Now if your busy find a member willing to receive emails from users wanting to post in classifieds. The person wanting to sell would have to email that person with all the info and you or that person make the post. Just restrict everyone from posting there and make them post thru and authorized person.

Thanks for listening, Mike

I don't think it's a good idea to set a minimum post limit for posting to classified section. There might be postings just to make up to that limit with no other purpose. Maybe a minimum of 1 month active membership before allowed to post to classified?

purge with caution

Hi,
I’d have two comments on non-active users:
It is probably reasonable to purge some of the old users who haven’t logged in for a loooong while: For example, I couldn’t make much out of the PM I have quoted bellow; probably it is not coming from a user with a well established history. These are however very rare (was the only one such case as a matter of fact).

Hi,
I'm new here, how's it going?

"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein
---
Jeannette
http://jeannette.50megs.com

On the other hand there are probably many users like myself, who regularly read posts but have no relevant information or not particularly - I do not know the English word – ‘graphoman’ (somebody who likes to write more then others).
I would - for instance - love to participate events and to bring along my newly acquired gadgets (e.g. new passive preamp) but it is somewhat cumbersome given the distance and the administrative barriers. I’d love to tell my subjective view on electronics, but I cook mostly with local ingredients because of availability and price which makes comparison difficult.
But I keep reading and must say that I did already have lots of ideas, inspiration and reassurance reading the posts on placement, room treatment and a number of other subjects, not to mention the reports on the new CLX. (For next year, the Munich show is registered in my calendar; at least that’s within a reasonable distance - 450 miles - probably next door with US standards). I also had very friendly and valuable comments when I made a few posts some times ago. My thanks and :bowdown: to JonFo, for example.
As for myself, evolution is a time consuming process; I have room treatment, a new DAC in short term plans (within a year) and new amplifier, may be new bass drivers as longer term plans for my beloved Monolith IIIx.
But given the pace of life I live (roughly 2 jobs + family) I hardly have time for any. When I will advance, I’d be more then happy to share my xp with the community.
Just to show You, I have attached the new passive preamp and ICs:
These have no brand name yet, I just hope that the two guys who made it (and are into some more goodies) will one day be able to market their ideas and gears. However, You won’t get far with me posting this because I do not exactly know what lives inside and I cannot take it apart to show You; an agreement with the designer. Another example is the home made IC cable. It is fairly simple but again, I’m not fully aware why it sounds so good. (It is a thin silver cable with some treatment). Suffice to say that I have sold my AudioNote AN-V silver IC’s as these have beaten the crabs out of them. Again, hope one that one day these will hit the market as well.

So sorry for the long post, swinging in all directions, but I’d just like to say; if you purge, please do it with caution. I’m sure that there are other members in similar situation who might one day make some interesting or may be even valuable contribution. Thanks.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 116
Tom, I think it's a good call and your method seems sound to me. Case in point - jmac7's 1 and only post in our classified section for a pair of Von Schweikert DB99's. Why? Didn't he even realize it's Martin Logan forum? :mad:

Thanks, Tom. I think that really helped clean up the member's list a lot. Since you went by "logged on" in the past year as a parameter, it doesn't hurt those that just lurk but don't post much. Smart thinking.

Last edited:
you had better read my post again... LESS than 1 post.

show some respect, will ya?! ;)

I love it , You tell um Tom !

I agree with Rich , we do not need people coming here for a target audience to sell gear.

Back