I have found another love

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scumurculum

Reaction score
Stunned by a pair of ancient Quads

I recently had the pleasure of listening to a friends pair of QUAD ESL 57s

These things were over 40 years old, beat up, up but amazingly still working.

Yes, they were clearly very tired and in desperate need of refurbishment, but still magical.

The sound was so beguiling, the base and treble seemed to match so well. The mid range was exquisite.

I also must admit I love the sound of bass from a panel, having heard some newer QUADS and an Apogee Duetta. There is something real about the sound of drums on these, maybe because drums themselves are just vibrating panels.

I have never had the pleasure of listening to a pair of CLS's or CLX's, but if that little QUAD is a real indication of what a full range electrostaic sounds like, they too must be amazing.

Has anyone else on this forum experienced the 57's.

Oh, by the way- i bought them :D

Last edited:
Amey
well.. yes

I havent taken delivery of them yet, my friend is getting them tidied up a bit for me first, ie dents/scratches (I also plan to get them fully refurbished)

We intend to move house next year, with a goal of getting a separate HT/Hifi room.

My plan is for the MLs to be in the HT and the quads in a second system in the living room, my wife actually loves the retro look of them, they look like a pair of 1950's heaters.

Last edited:
yep, i have CLS in the home theater (don't tell C.A.P) and 57's in the two channel upstairs. just a great great speaker.

zaphod (love the hitchikers reference)

If you dont mind me asking 2 questions:

1. what are you using to power the 57s?
2. any comments on the relitive merits of the CLS and 57s?

zaphod (love the hitchikers reference)

If you dont mind me asking 2 questions:

1. what are you using to power the 57s?
2. any comments on the relitive merits of the CLS and 57s?

for years i used a pair of McIntosh 50w-2 amps (6L6 based, precurser to the Mc30) that had them singing. this was fronted by a quad-44 preamp.

when one of those amps died i started driving them with a pair of Mc60 that again really worked well. just a great match. but i've put the mc60's into the idle pile and have been driving the 57's with an old Meitner STR-50, fronted by a Museatex ACC preamp. They still sound good, but the tubes had just more presence and realism.

i've always driven the CLS with Meitner amps, first the STR-50 and then a pair of MTR-101 monos. to me the CLS sound more precise, more pin-point and front back image much better.

Remember, the 57's are intended to present the music as if you are outside the concert hall listening through a window. One window - for remember the 57 was designed to work as a mono speaker, stereo was just a twinkle in Blumlein's eye. When paired up into stereo the imaging has never impressed me, but then i've never really had them in the listening room, they have always been in the living or family room.

I remember that before i got the 57's i would dash over the sweet spot while cooking dinner to catch a well imaged recording. and subsequently burn dinner. many, many dinners. The 57's while not the best imaging speakers in the world reproduce a string instrument or vocal so that it sounds just like that is what is in the other room. So while the music's spatial information of the 57's isn't astounding, the music's quality is beyond reproach. I can close my eyes and fully capture all that 57's have to offer without moving an inch.

This is not to say the CLS's do not similarily reproduce the reality of the music being played, but CLS's add imaging to the mix.

They are both quality quality speakers, different and both far too enjoyable to easily give up. my new place has 10 foot ceilings and i considered acoustats to replace the 57s but just could not do it. and then i thought about moving the 57s to the listening room (to make room for acoustats) and getting rid of the CLS - but that couldn't happen either.

little lesson for myself there.

i just picked up an active crossover and as i have a few subs kicking about, i'm thinking of adding some bass help to the 57s. The lower panels are starting to show some age and this might be a good way to ease up on them letting them shine in the midrange like they do

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Zaphod.

Interesting about your use of macs to power them, as I was considering the MC275 may be a nice match or perhaps an all quad valve system. Conrad johnson is an option but way too much money for a 2nd system.

Still, stuff to try and audition, lots of fun.

with respect to soundstaging, not really a make or break issue for me. I know ML are supposed to be incredible for soundstage however I have such a compromised room for my aeon i's. (ie a 63 inch plasma between them) i have never really experienced it at home.

Last edited:
An MC 275 is probably too much power. If you really want to have some fun for minimal $$, get your hands on an older CJ MV-50. Here they are only about 600 dollars and are an outstanding match for the 57's or if you can pick up a nice pair of Mac MC-30's.

A modern amp that works well with the 57's is the Prima Luna Prologue. You can run it with EL34's or if you want a touch more of that vintage sound, try a set of 6L6 tubes, the prima luna's autobias can handle it!

Lots of fun options...

Tonepub.

Actually not a bad idea with respect to primaluna.

I had a prologue 3 pre-amp which I liked alot.

Only got rid of it to get remote control and hometheatre passthrough.

Old conrad johnson and mac gear is a rare as hens teeth down here unfortunately, but i might keep an eye out on ebay.

OTOH I may look into possibilites of conversion of US amps to 240v and try acquiring an amp in the US (I will be in the US next month)

Last edited:
I recently had the pleasure of listening to a friends pair of QUAD ESL 57s

These things were over 40 years old, beat up, up but amazingly still working.

Yes, they were clearly very tired and in desperate need of refurbishment, but still magical.

The sound was so beguiling, the base and treble seemed to match so well. The mid range was exquisite.

I also must admit I love the sound of bass from a panel, having heard some newer QUADS and an Apogee Duetta. There is something real about the sound of drums on these, maybe because drums themselves are just vibrating panels.

I have never had the pleasure of listening to a pair of CLS's or CLX's, but if that little QUAD is a real indication of what a full range electrostaic sounds like, they too must be amazing.

Has anyone else on this forum experienced the 57's.

Oh, by the way- i bought them :D

Congratulations. I still have my 57s but haven't listened to them in quite some time. One of these days they'll be set up in the bedroom.

I know someone in Tasmania you should visit...

I had a pair of 57s and found that they were extremely difficult to set up for imaging. In the store they sounded absolutely wonderful in the most amazing position - mounted on the ceiling, in the corners. It was as if the quartet was right in the room. I was never able to duplicate that in the two different rooms in which I used them, but they did sound great anyway.

I first drove them with a Quad 303, then moved to a Bedini 20/20 Class A amplifier - only 20 watts/channel, but that was more than enough. They sounded even better when I hooked up a beaten up old Dyna ST70, and then a Copland tube power amp (can't remember the model number)- 25 watts/channel in triode mode. I think your best bet is to stick to tubes.

I think your best bet is to stick to tubes.

I think so too, Bernard. Let's face it, that's what they were developed with, and that's what they appear to shine with. A pair of Quad IIs does a brilliant job with them - at least last time I heard that setup I was really impressed.

... they sounded absolutely wonderful in the most amazing position - mounted on the ceiling, in the corners. It was as if the quartet was right in the room. I was never able to duplicate that ...

and did you mount them on the ceiling in your rooms ... :devil:

Tonepub.

Actually not a bad idea with respect to primaluna.

I had a prologue 3 pre-amp which I liked alot.

Only got rid of it to get remote control and hometheatre passthrough.

Old conrad johnson and mac gear is a rare as hens teeth down here unfortunately, but i might keep an eye out on ebay.

OTOH I may look into possibilites of conversion of US amps to 240v and try acquiring an amp in the US (I will be in the US next month)

If you are over here and find an MV 50 or MV52, send it to CJ while you are here. Talk to Ed in service, tell him what you want and have him ship it back to Aust. for you, or perhaps if you coordinate in advance, they could even do it while you are here so you can take it back as luggage!

Worth a shout. But seriously a PL integrated works smashingly well with the 57's....

Tonepub, thanks for the advice.

By the way, checking on google maps, it seems I will be driving vitually past (well within 5 miles) of the Conrad Johnson factory.

Being a happy owner of a CA200 - I must stop by and take a photo of the factory :bowdown:

I assume they dont give guided tours :drool:

Last edited:
By the way, checking on google maps, it seems I will be driving vitually past (well within 5 miles) of the Conrad Johnson factory.
So you are going to be near Fairfax? Are you going to stop in the Nations Capital for any sightseeing? Many great places to see there if one has never visited. We take many a visitor down to the Mall and Smithsonian's

Give CJ a call, I bet they would love to have you stop by and say HI!!

Definitely.

Lew and Bill are great guys. See if they'll convert an amp for you quickly, shouldn't be much more than swapping a power transformer, if they have something in stock!

Definitely.

Lew and Bill are great guys. See if they'll convert an amp for you quickly, shouldn't be much more than swapping a power transformer, if they have something in stock!
Could also just involve rewiring the existing transformer, depending upon the design.

Latest posts

Back