I cheated on Martin Logans.....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ayre C5xe

I love my Ayre C5xe (it looks even better in black) but I have experienced a couple of operational issues. When I first brought it home the balanced digital out wasn't working (I sometimes listen to CDs through my trusty Sonic Frontiers SFD 2 Mk 3 tubed DAC) and I had to return it. I am currently having problems with my remote control. The track advance, repeat and DVD audio group buttons work only intermittently. I bought a Harmony 880 and the same buttons do not work at all. Probably going to have to send the thing back AGAIN before the warranty runs out but I just do not want to give it up. In combination with my arc Ref 3 preamp I am getting the tallest, widest, deepest soundstage I have ever gotten from digital. The C5 loves Shunyata powercords (I am using a Python Helix VX currently).

tonyc said:
I love my Ayre C5xe (it looks even better in black) but I have experienced a couple of operational issues. In combination with my arc Ref 3 preamp I am getting the tallest, widest, deepest soundstage I have ever gotten from digital. The C5 loves Shunyata powercords (I am using a Python Helix VX currently).

You know... I really wonder how a "tube" CDP like the Shanling would sound....?

Alright, that's my next mission.

Joey ::game face:: :mad:

Joey_V said:
You know... I really wonder how a "tube" CDP like the Shanling would sound...

Forget the Shanling, Joey, unless you are ready to wait up to 30 s for a CD to start playing. This is show off gear...there are really a lot of good tubed CD players out there, but please wipe off the Shanling from your list.

Tubed CD Players...

Joey_V said:

Joey,

The Audio Aero - Prestige CD/SACD Player, has some wonderful reviews and is a tubed CD/SACD player the only problem is it costs 14K (new). You probably could get one cheaper, used on Audiogon for around 6-7K. ;)

http://www.audioaero.com/

It's one beautiful piece of machinery. :D

Attachments

• Audio Aero Prestige CD SACD Player.jpg
    Audio Aero Prestige CD SACD Player.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 215
Robin said:
Joey,

The Audio Aero - Prestige CD/SACD Player, has some wonderful reviews and is a tubed CD/SACD player the only problem is it costs 14K (new). You probably could get one cheaper, used on Audiogon for around 6-7K. ;)

http://www.audioaero.com/

It's one beautiful piece of machinery. :D
The Audio Aero Prestige was at the top of the list of CD players I recently auditioned. I settled for the Audio Aero Prima CD player. At approx. $3k and 80% of the sound of the Prestige it's a great deal.

Audio Aero Prima...

stereoman,

:D That's excellent information... I was wondering if the Prima had similar qualities of the Prestige. :) How is the imagining and sound of the Prima? Does it have a tube sound? How does it sound with your Logans?

It's not the equipment is it

Joey_V said:

How much music do you buy? One needs to be careful to avoid the gearhead syndrome. You know? A $40,000.00 system and 100 demo pieces of music and nothing else! IMO the music is the goal and so the software should be more valuable than the system. Just my 2 cents.

risabet said:
How much music do you buy? One needs to be careful to avoid the gearhead syndrome. You know? A $40,000.00 system and 100 demo pieces of music and nothing else! IMO the music is the goal and so the software should be more valuable than the system. Just my 2 cents.

I borrow CDs from several libraries and I burn them to FLAC. My goal is to have 250gb of music.

When I get to residency, then I'll start investing in CDs if need be or if I have a cool CDP.

Joey_V said:
I borrow CDs from several libraries and I burn them to FLAC. My goal is to have 250gb of music.

When I get to residency, then I'll start investing in CDs if need be or if I have a cool CDP.

Buy a TT, your ears will appreciate it and you seem like someone who would enjoy the analog ritual and the upgrade paths involved.
:)

Joey_V said:
You know... I really wonder how a "tube" CDP like the Shanling would sound....? Alright, that's my next mission.
I agree with Lugano on the Shanling. Looks more than quality. Much better choices out there for you.

If I was going to buy a new CD/SACD source today, I would look at one of the complete players from the Mod Kings: Modwright (Dan Wright), Vacuum State (Allen Wright), or APL Hi-Fi (Alex Peychev). These folks have players that out perform players costing 2-3 times as much.

Dan

Bah... this cdp thing is going to get hairy-er than I'd like it to be at this moment in time. I'm gonna wait.

I'd probably invest in a better DAC instead... or finish off the Digital Media part of the system by going Transporter in the near future.

Joey

Joey_V said:
Bah... this cdp thing is going to get hairy-er than I'd like it to be at this moment in time. I'm gonna wait.

I'd probably invest in a better DAC instead... or finish off the Digital Media part of the system by going Transporter in the near future.

Joey

Invest in a TT, Project 10 maybe, and be amazed!

DTB300 said:
I agree with Lugano on the Shanling. Looks more than quality. Much better choices out there for you.

If I was going to buy a new CD/SACD source today, I would look at one of the complete players from the Mod Kings: Modwright (Dan Wright), Vacuum State (Allen Wright), or APL Hi-Fi (Alex Peychev). These folks have players that out perform players costing 2-3 times as much.

Dan

I'm been itching to get the APL Denon 5910 ci (NWO-M1). APL was only doing the mods on the 3910 and I have been waiting for them to do the 5910 and now finally they're doing it. I like their NWO-2.5 but it costs twice as much. Oh well, I'm close to pulling the trigger.

DTB300 said:

Dan
I just looked up APL and their moded Denon DVD-3930 looks interesting. I have not heard of APL before. I have looked at Modwright and UnderWood Hi-Fi, but APL is a new one to me.

Zip3kx07 said:
I just looked up APL and their moded Denon DVD-3930 looks interesting. I have not heard of APL before. I have looked at Modwright and UnderWood Hi-Fi, but APL is a new one to me.
You should also look at the VSE (Vacuum State Electronics - Allen Wright). I know a couple of folks with the Level 5 mods on their 777 players, and they along with others who posts on sites absolutely love their new players.

One person I know has heard the older version EMM Labs unit and likes his VSE modded 777 player better. He has been trying to get a group together to compare the two head to head, but people cannot agree on a time or place. His total cost for player and mods is around $3k, while the EMM was $10k+

Modwright (Dan Wright) also does some very nice work. He has a tube output stage design for his work (he just introduced using tube rectification), so if you like that type of sound, I would strongly consider going the Modwright way. Also, the customer service, myself and others have received from Dan, is top notch.

APL Hi-Fi (Alex Peychev) has been around for a while doing mods and getting awards for his players. He was notorious for not responding to emails, taking forever to do mods, etc. etc, but people now say this is old history with customer service, and turn around time greatly improved.

I have seen the Underwood posts and ads, but I never seem to hear anything great or overwhelming stated about them. Yet the other three mentioned above seem to get most of the talk.

Dan

DTB300 said:
One person I know has heard the older version EMM Labs unit and likes his VSE modded 777 player better. He has been trying to get a group together to compare the two head to head, but people cannot agree on a time or place. His total cost for player and mods is around $3k, while the EMM was $10k+

Dan

Wow, that's a good deal. APL's NWO-M1 costs $10k with the player but has the tube output stage, 12 DACs per channel plus it preserves the video which is really great. The only thing that's holding me back is I don't want to be the first order. I want to hear the feedback from others. Although according to Alex, it's as close to the NWO-2.5 as it can get.

DTB300 said:
You should also look at the VSE (Vacuum State Electronics - Allen Wright). I know a couple of folks with the Level 5 mods on their 777 players, and they along with others who posts on sites absolutely love their new players.

Modwright (Dan Wright) also does some very nice work. He has a tube output stage design for his work (he just introduced using tube rectification), so if you like that type of sound, I would strongly consider going the Modwright way. Also, the customer service, myself and others have received from Dan, is top notch.

APL Hi-Fi (Alex Peychev) has been around for a while doing mods and getting awards for his players. He was notorious for not responding to emails, taking forever to do mods, etc. etc, but people now say this is old history with customer service, and turn around time greatly improved.

I have seen the Underwood posts and ads, but I never seem to hear anything great or overwhelming stated about them. Yet the other three mentioned above seem to get most of the talk.

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan,

I looked at VSE but did not see anything the said must own. I have been looking at ModWright and Underwood hi-fi’s modded Denon DVD-3930’s but have been turned off buy the high prices (around $4,000.00). APL’s 3930 looks to be more reasonably priced at $2500.00 but is still more then what I want to pay for a Player. I have this problem with wearing out CD/DVD players within two to three years. I want to sell my Pioneer Elite DV-59avi in favor of a Denon 3930 or 5910ci (if I can get a deal on one) but its temping to pass on a stock 5910ci in favor of a fully modded 3930ci from APL. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Back