Aerius i Diagnosis and repair

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurama3114

Reaction score
Hello friends, I am posting here to request advice for repairing a single Martin Logan Aerius i speaker. A pair was gifted to me by a good friend of mine, who got them from their father but unfortunately had them in a garage/storage for about 2 years. Anyways, one of them works as expected, but the other one does not. I can confirm it is a problem with the unit, and not with amplification or anything. For a small bit, this speaker worked as intended and sounded great. However, the speaker began to cut in and out mid-song while I was listening. However, it was only the electrostatic part that wasn't working, as the subwoofer was working fine. Eventually, the unit never functioned as intended and only the subwoofer portion produces any sound. I am wondering where to even start with repairing this. I have some experience with electrical work and audio gear, but not any audio repair experience. I took the back panel off and I was not able to spot anything that immediately caught my eye, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I will include a photo of the electrical components of the unit, but PLEASE let me know if you need any more photos/other info to help restore the unit. Thank you guys in advance for any help.
20210711_010234.jpg20210711_012840.jpg

My first guess would be to check the wire that runs to the panel to see if it is fractured. That's pretty obvious though and I'd guess you would have found that. The panels on ML speakers all shift down because of gravity and that can cause damage to those wires. ML can supply you with metal brackets they call stat stops.Those fit at the bottom of the panel. That's how it is on my Prodigy speakers.

My first guess would be to check the wire that runs to the panel to see if it is fractured. That's pretty obvious though and I'd guess you would have found that. The panels on ML speakers all shift down because of gravity and that can cause damage to those wires. ML can supply you with metal brackets they call stat stops.Those fit at the bottom of the panel. That's how it is on my Prodigy speakers.
Thanks for your comment. I actually had not looked at the connection TO the panels yet because I wasn't sure how to get the frames off. Looks like you just use a mallet lol. Anyways I got them off and sure enough it was the connection, one of the wires had actually oxidized, or something similar. Resoldered and is working great. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20210801_175535.jpg
    20210801_175535.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back