Hey, Joey V

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverb2009

Reaction score
I got to attended AV123's SoCal get together yesterday. It was a blast and I got to meet Mark Schifter, I am suppressed how down to earth and laid back he is. He reminds me of a modern day Robin Hood. He was piratically throwing money out of his pocket at us. At the end of the night he basically did, Mark gave away so many prizes it was unbelievable.

The highlight of my night was getting to listen to the Strata Mini's. Awesome speaker for $2000.00, I was very impressed with them and just how close they sound to martin logan's. There not a replacement for electrostat's but damn close in sound quality. I like that the imaging was similar but did not have the narrowed sweet spot or the problem listing off axis's.

I also got to spend some time with the "BMF subwoofer".

And yes it is a Big Mother F***er. :D

The room it was in was very small but this thing could literally push all the air out of the room. It was amazing on Master and Commander how the firing of the cannons would push all the air across the room and up your body to the ceiling. I have never felt a sub do anything like this before. It was a prototype and we did clip the amp once or twice but that was because they are still tuning it. It was impressive to say the least.

Joe,

Glad to see you met MLS! He's a great guy! You should've said "hello" from me! :)

And yes, the Minis are good speakers.... and they're fairly priced too!

I had several MLO-ers over here and they heard the Minis, the impressions are pretty favorable. They image well and they have a sweet sound to them... but you're right, they're no electrostats.

Oh, and yes, the BMF is a good sub, probably one of the premier subs at its price.

Any pics??

Joey :D

Pic's?

I did not bring a camera, but there are pic on AV123.

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=21532

img2011lb5.jpg

img2012cf0.jpg

img2014qf9.jpg

BMF!!!!!!!!!!

img2018vq1.jpg

img2026ne9.jpg

I am curious how the Mini would sound with the Ninja crossover? :think:

MLF also talked about a larger version of the Strata with two planer midranges, 3 magnetic tweeters and larger bass woofers. They Also have a Strata Center channel with the magnetic midrange and tweeter and 2 6 1/2" woofers and a "special" rear firing tweeter. 3rd a new on-wall Strata surround speaker. Some very cool stuff coming. :D

MLF also talked about a larger version of the Strata with two planer midranges, 3 magnetic tweeters and larger bass woofers. Some very cool stuff coming. :D

MLS promised to send me the #2 pair of the new Strata Max (he gets to keep #1).... yup, the exact one you're describing. It's something I'm really looking forward to. I don't think it will supplant my Summits, but it should provide a different sonic taste!

Did he say when this was coming out?

Joey

On another note, how did you like the Melody stuff? They seem realy solidly built and have gotten great reviews. I know they use Zu speakers to "voice" their stuff. :)

Unfortunately he did not. Estimates were a year to year and a half.

I really like the mini, enough to replace my Martin Logan's of there HT duties. AV123's deal they have running this weekend is very tempting, A pair of Mini's with Ref center channel, and Ref bookshelf speakers for surrounds all done and shipped for $2999.00. Very tempting

However I was hopping for a little more out of the mini. It is a great speaker, an entry level reference speaker IMO for only 2 G's. I would have liked it to image a little better and little larger sound stage. Something that makes me interested in the Strata MAX. If the Max can rase the bar a few notches higher then the Mini...Sold.

Well see. :D

img2001qn9.jpg

img2005rb4.jpg

Yes the table was bowing in from all the weight. :D

img2015qu5.jpg

img2017ky5.jpg

MFW-15 Subwoofer with R-DES EQ.
Awesome subwoofer, hit's very hard. Sound was very clean and pretty musical considering it a 15" driver.

Joe,
I've actually been following this thread over at the AV123 forum. Looks like the gtg was a great time. I'm wondering when there might be a Detroit gathering. I would really like to listen to their stuff (like the BMF and the UFW turbo).

Did you get a chance to audition the UFW-12 with the turbo mods?

Bob,

Not sure on a Detroit GTG, you should post over there and see if there is interest.

The subwoofer in the first two photos is the Hot Roded UFW-12. Unfortunately I don’t think anybody got to hear the UFW-12. We were all so excited getting to play with the BMF we never changed over to the UFW-12. I felt kind of bad too, AV123 spend hours setting up both subs and we never played them Hod Roded UFW-12.

Joe,
Just joking about a Detroit gathering, although it sure would be nice.

I've been watching the MFW and BMF AV123 threads and wondering how they would fit with MLs for both music and HT. The hot rod UFW-12 being a sealed closure sounds temping. Any thoughts how any of them might mesh with electrostats?

Bob

Last edited:
The highlight of my night was getting to listen to the Strata Mini's. Awesome speaker for $2000.00, I was very impressed with them and just how close they sound to martin logan's. There not a replacement for electrostat's but damn close in sound quality.

Joe, Your impressions mirrored what I felt when I listened to them at my sons house ove the holidays, a real bargain for the $$ spent. He was lucky to get his at the introductory pricing of $1600 !!

Joe,
Just joking about a Detroit gathering, although it sure would be nice.

I've been watching the MFW and BMF AV123 threads and wondering how they would fit with MLs for both music and HT. The hot rod UFW-12 being a sealed closure sounds temping. Any thoughts how any of them might mesh with electrostats?

Bob

I wasn’t, get enough entrust and I bet MLS will support it.

Not sure how any of these sub would mesh with ESL’s. For home theater I think they would do very well, or 2 ch. I am not sure, my best answer would be to order one and try it in your home and see for yourself.

The BMF was only a prototype, and was pretty damn musical. I would like to hear the final version when it comes out. The prototype was very, very impressive. SPL wise it was insane.

Joe, Your impressions mirrored what I felt when I listened to them at my sons house ove the holidays, a real bargain for the $$ spent. He was lucky to get his at the introductory pricing of $1600 !!

I am very interested in AV123’s Strata Max; the mini was awesome for only 2 grand. Better then any of ML’s ATF speakers, IMO. I would have liked a little more out of the mini and if the MAX turns out to be like what MLS described the MAX awesome.

I am very interested in AV123’s Strata Max; the mini was awesome for only 2 grand. Better then any of ML’s ATF speakers, IMO.

I may have to agree with you on that one, Joe. The only thing the ATF Mosaic can do better, I think, is imaging. Otherwise, the Minis mop the floor in overall musicality and bass extension. Both have a similar sounding tone though... must be the ATF/Ribbon driver thingamajig...

:)

JOey

Latest posts

Back