Heading to Lawrence to listen to the CLX!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys...

i'm sitting in the ML corporate office listening room at this very moment... Forget your preconception about planars not being able to reproduce bass.

The CLX does it VERY VERY well!!!!

WOW.

They are smaller in person that the photos we've all seen... don't get me wrong... they're big speakers, just not as big as I expected...

Linda Ronstadt has never sounded so good!

More to come later as the listening session continues.

Tom,

How big is the room?

What is the equipment and cables?

How many room treatments?

Thanks!

The room is about maybe 25 ft wide by 30 ft deep. lots of room treatments... very properly set up. imaging is spot on.

Parasound Halo A21
Marantz 7001 CD/SACD/DVD player
not sure of the cables.

none of this is super duper high end.. good stuff, but not outrageous.

i'll have lots of photos up tonight...

Last edited:
Damnit man! Pictures! The suspense is killing me.:eek:

Very glad that you are our eyes and ears there Tom!

speaker cables are straightwire virtuoso.
interconnects look like AudioQuest King Cobras like I have at home.

Last edited:
Damnit man! Pictures! The suspense is killing me.:eek:

Very glad that you are our eyes and ears there Tom!

these blow EVERYTHING out of the water, you guys.. ML hit a GRAND SLAM with these! PHENOMENAL!!

The hairs on the back of my neck have been standing on end the whole day so far..

The room is about maybe 25 ft wide by 30 ft deep. lots of room treatments... very properly set up. imaging is spot on.

Parasound Halo A21
Marantz 7001 CD/SACD/DVD player
not sure of the cables.

none of this is super duper high end.. good stuff, but not outrageous.

i'll have lots of photos up tonight...

Sounds like a winner if it sounds awesome with good, but not outrageous, equipment. How many do they plan to make and how fast. It could be like the Wii @ X-mas time.

here are a couple photos..

Attachments

• Martin Logan visit 026 (Medium).jpg
    Martin Logan visit 026 (Medium).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Martin Logan visit 032 (Medium).jpg
    Martin Logan visit 032 (Medium).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 257
  • Martin Logan visit 044 (Medium).jpg
    Martin Logan visit 044 (Medium).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 255
Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding

The best I've ever heard, including my friend Mark's Klipschorns.

the opening keyboard passage blew my hair around!!! FONK!!

Ken, the CLX's did not struggle AT ALL with this track. and I have it CRANKED!! I mean CRANKED!! Awesome. Very dynamic. filled the room with sound pressure!

Devin asked what we're doing for lunch.. going out or ordering in...

sha.. as if that is a real question... who needs food???

Last edited:
i'm 6'2" and pretty big.. this photo shows the size of the CLX

Attachments

• Martin Logan visit 016 (Medium).jpg
    Martin Logan visit 016 (Medium).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 317
Tom, please ask them about custom finishes, like the Aniline Red version. Why is that option (or others) no longer shown anywhere?

very cool As meat loaf would say " all the kids at school were wishing they were me that night "

Now Playing: Rush - Hemispheres

:bowdown:

testing the bass slam ability of the CLX's now....

Rush - Hemispheres.

Whoever said stats can't do rock music well.??? BS

"Straighten Up and Fly Right" is one of my standard tracks for critical listening... the whole set she did with Nelson Riddle is spectacular. I am not that familiar with her other work.
The last 10 songs on the two CD set sound best IMO. Bewitched, Bothered, & Bewildered; Am I Blue; Little Girl Blue; 'Round Midnight are my favorites in those cuts.

lunch and back to the cave...

just had pizza for lunch and i'm back in the ultimate man-cave...

Harry Connick Jr's "Blue Light, Red Light" is playing....

your questions to ML...

Hey all,

because of my flight cancellation, etc. I didn't get a chance to sit down with the development team, so I will schedule a time to get the team on the phone and ask them the questions directly.

In response to the earlier question about color and finish choices, David Allen told me that they will be offering all sorts of color/finish options like they did with the Summits. Not right away, but eventually.

Tom, it looks to me like there are 2 different systems in your photographs. One with Mac amps and the 25th Anniversary version of the CLX (Aluminum finish), and the second with the associated gear you mentioned in your post and the wood finish. Are both systems active? If so, can you describe differences between the two?

Great job of bringing everything to us in "real time" by the way!

You rock buddy...

Hey Tim,
yes, those are two different rooms.. The aluminum set is in a much bigger room.. not a sonically treated room at all, so I'm doing the critical listening in the same room we listened to the Summits in last summer at the get together.

btw, I saw the prototype CLX's which had the wood frame all the way around each speaker. They were here last summer, but we weren't allowed to see them.. For those of you guys who said you didn't like the look of the CLX, you should see this prototype.. YIKES! It looked like a screen door. I wasn't allowed to take photos of that.... sorry. :(

Latest posts

Back