Half of a panel not producing sound

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scumurculum

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed my soundstaging of my aeon i's getting a bit off balance.

With the help of a test tone and a spl meter it seems the top third of my left panel is not producing sound (or at least greatly reduced sound). The bottom of the panel is fine.

I did all the speaker cable swapping to ensure the issue wasn't with the electronics.

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Last edited:
Try cleaning real well after they have been unplugged for a while. Vacuum with a horse hair brush and a good clean shop vac. If they still do it its time to call ML

ok ill try the brush, see if that works.

By the way WOW 2 responses within about a 3 minutes, i'm impressed :)

Hola...I think it is time to do the washing. At tweak session, you will find all the instructions in detail. I had done it, and really works!...happy listening,
Roberto.

Also, make sure that the panels are firmly held in by the rails. It could be that the diaphragm energizer copper lines in the sides of the panel are not making good contact with the mylar.

More cleaning, washing can help as well.

But ultimately, if the panels are >10 years old, it might be time for some new panels. All things considered, a very cheap and easy upgrade to the speaker as a whole.

One of the things we all love about ML ESLs, is it's pretty easy to have 20+ year life-spans on the system, with improving performance if you change panels.

Thank for the responses.

After more investigation, it appears that the sound difference is due to the top third of one of the panels producing much less sound, more than 10db less.

Fortunately, to my surprise I have found out the panels are still under warranty. For some reason I thought the speakers only had a 1 year warrantly intead of 3, good news :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back