Quantcast

Fresco as center channel?

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

mitrolyat

Reaction score
My search here has found users enjoying HT success with a Fresco at center, along with some form of ML as mains.

As every environment (room dimension/configuration, equipment placement and speaker location relative to furniture and boundaries) presents a set of demands to deal with in order to maximize potential performance. I was wondering what the ideal set-up for a Fresco might be? What type of dispersion are you getting in your configuration? What size of room is most appropriate for the Fresco's strengths?

In a purely HT application, could the Fresco be used with non-ML mains? I am considering a Fresco center placed on a shelf above the tv along with omni-directional mains.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
My Fresco integrates just fine with my Vantages. It is stricktly used in a 5.1 HT enviroment, the timbre matches well and considering the fact that I am a much more serious two channel person it's more than adequete. My room demensions are 15'x23'6"x8', listening / viewing position is approx 10' from the speaker.

Jeff Zaret

Reaction score
My room is similar to Twich54 (Dave). My room is approximately 8 x 12x 8. The difference in my room is I have no rear wall. My Fresco is mounted on the wall below my TV. It blends really well with the other speakers.

Jeff :cool:

roberto

Reaction score
Jeff Zaret said:
My room is similar to Twich54 (Dave). My room is approximately 8 x 12x 8. The difference in my room is I have no rear wall. My Fresco is mounted on the wall below my TV. It blends really well with the other speakers.

Jeff :cool:
Hola, and my main speakers are the CLSIIz, same as Jeff. I also use the Fresco as center, and I like it very much the blending...takes time to set it up, but the time is well spent...happy listening,
Roberto.

Daryl Zero

Reaction score
mitrolyat said:
In a purely HT application, could the Fresco be used with non-ML mains? I am considering a Fresco center placed on a shelf above the tv along with omni-directional mains.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
I am of the mind that match your HT speakers as much as possible. I have the Fresco as a center but it is matched with Montages so you create a nice front field.

mitrolyat

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback.

The reason for my Fresco consideration is an assumption that it will deliver speed, clarity and low coloration demanded of a center. Also, I am hoping it can provide good dispersion without off-axis drop out.

I was also wondering if any users paired non-ML mains with the Fresco. Since this system will be limited to HT, would a l/r speaker design offering wide dispersion for multiple viewers be more appropriate? This thinking maintains that timbre mismatch can be an acceptable compromise in favor of servicing a wide seating set-up. For me, clear dialogue and clean front audio is preferred over explosive effects.

As I hope to return to ML for home theater, please forgive my thinking aloud here at this forum. Has anyone else thought of picking and choosing a speaker design relative to its function within an HT environment?

Thanks again!