Increasing Martin Logan sweet spot with Synergistic Research HFT's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, many folks use the supplied power cord with no questions asked. Many AV receivers have PC's like the one shown.

true and their power demands are fine with that

I thinks that is the point of the video. If you and Mark think it is a ruse, so be it.

Gordon

Gordon, Shunyata could have and should have done a better demo than what they did and don't think for one minute they didn't know it !!

I think Marks explanation as to cable requirements for different components in the prior post explains the 'current draw' quite well.

So I finally looked at the ETRON square wave demonstration. WOW! This is a completely deceptive SHAM !!!!!

Notice that the cable is out of frame so you can't see they are using a long spool of cable and notice how thin the cable is that they are using?

The demonstration has to use a LONG spool of thin gauge cable to grossly impact the signal like that!

My guess is that cable manufacturers who use deceptive advertising like that know that their target audience does not own an oscilloscope.

Sadly I just sold my oscilloscope to a friend in TX or I would show that a typical 3 foot long $5 set of RCA cables can handle a 10kHz square wave just fine.

However I have searched around the Internet and not surprisingly there were a number of people who did this exact same test.

"I also tried with a 10khz square wave (not restricted to audio band) and a 10khz sine wave. I then started to switch up the cables, leaving in the sparrow and first trying it against the unknown make white cable which gave me some shocking results with the 10khz sine wave. I hit it with square waves and triangle waves even outside of the audio band and could not quantify enough differences to say there was one."

I don't see anything ugly or misshapen below.

There are two signals and two cables. One is an out of the box RCA cable that came with some piece of audio equipment.
Notice a light blue line and yellow line that are basically on top of each other.

Oscilloscope_0dBFS_1kHz.jpg

To be clear there are some cables that purposefully muck with the signal by adding things that filter higher frequencies on purpose and some cables will look different with various signals, but a decent shielded cable with solid interconnect and good mating between the interconnect and wire should do fine carrying any signal in the range of human hearing.

BTW the results of these cable tests are typically that very small differences can be measured between various cables, but whether there is enough difference to hear is nebulous. Some people see any small difference as meaning that a cable has a profound effect and others see the cables as being well beyond the realm of what could be heard.

In the end people believe what they want to believe.

Last edited:
Please allow me after all the years since the last comment on this thread, to reopen the topic Synergistic Research HFT´s.
I for myself who live in Germany didn´t hear about the HFT´s before a month ago.
I have purchased 3 packs and installed them according to Synergistic Research description. Having read on quite some forums that some position adjustment might improve the sound change, not to use the word improvement, which might disturb some of you out there.

I would like to ask you if you have made experience with the HFT´s?
Both good or bad experiences are welcome.

In the case of you who made good experiences, how did you end up with the best result. Placing how many HFT´s on which walls, moving the HFT´s up/down, to the front/back, etc.

PS: I do not intend to start the discussion whether you believe that the HFT´s work or not and how they work. To my ears they do make a positive difference creating a more homogeneous natural sound and better Soundstage.

I am looking forward to hear your experiences.
Thank you.

This reminds me of a passive gizmo someone brought to the CarverFest audio retreat last year, that was pitched to produce a sweet spot between the speakers.

The gizmo was a solid brass parabolic dish about 20 inches in diameter. It was quite heavy, and its thickness stepped down in concentric rings-- going from thick in the center of the disc to thin at its periphery. It was positioned equidistant between the speakers.

The thing actually worked, to the extent that I could hear a subtle change when it was placed, and again when it was removed.

It was clear to me that any sound reaching that disc, whether directly from the speakers or bounced off room walls, would be focused by the parabolic dish and projected to its focal aim point, and if you were sitting at its focal point, a subtle difference was discernable.

I also speculated that the stepped thicknesses were intended to make the dish reverberate at different frequencies, and that it's re-emissions would have to be somewhat phase-shifted by virtue of being reflected.

There were mixed opinions about whether it improved or merely changed the imaging, but none of us grunts were going to fork over $3,600 to purchase one, even after being offered a "special half-price deal".

I wasn't impressed with the 20" dish and I'm skeptical whether five finger-tip sized reflectors would do much at all.

Last edited:
Back