expiriences with output transfomers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcello

Reaction score
Hi everybody

Quite a time since my las post, happy new year to everyone from Schaffhausen/Switzerland.

My favorite store, where I bought most of my equipment, gave me a pair of output transfomers for a try. I hooked them up like that:

Amp (Rega Exon Mono, 120W/8Ohm) ---> 8 Ohm-connector of the transformer; 2.5 Ohm-connector of the transformer ---> ML Aerius i

With that, for what I hear, I lost a little of the sharpness/details in the high frequencies and got a bit more pressure/body in the mid frequencies. I am not an electrician, so my question: Is this logic?

Have some of you made own expiriences with output transformers and ML?

Marcello

Hi everybody

Quite a time since my las post, happy new year to everyone from Schaffhausen/Switzerland.

My favorite store, where I bought most of my equipment, gave me a pair of output transfomers for a try. I hooked them up like that:

Amp (Rega Exon Mono, 120W/8Ohm) ---> 8 Ohm-connector of the transformer; 2.5 Ohm-connector of the transformer ---> ML Aerius i

With that, for what I hear, I lost a little of the sharpness/details in the high frequencies and got a bit more pressure/body in the mid frequencies. I am not an electrician, so my question: Is this logic?

Have some of you made own expiriences with output transformers and ML?

Marcello

Yes Marcelo, it is...so try different tabs in the Xformer and then choose the one that you liked most...in my power amp Audio Research, I have different tabs, and now I am using my 4 ohm tab with my CLSs when I am using a subwoofer, when not, I use 8 ohm tabs...I do like what I hear a lot...happy listening,
Roberto.

Hi Roberto

Thank you for your answer. Just bought the gear last week after another few hours of listening at home.

First I decided to not buy them. They are 1'000 Swiss Francs each (around 1'100 US$) and for me it seemed not to be worth the price. Better invest the extra money in an upgrade of amps or speakers.

But then they offered the deal at CHF 500 for both, just 1/4 of the original price. They did so because they were in stock for a to long, and a little bit because I am good customer.......maybe. At least I couldn't let them pass by!

Marcello

Back