two bi-amp configurations - reasons for differences?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcello

Reaction score
Hi everybody

After I've upgraded (look at system #56), I now have the following power amps in my system:

1xREGA MAJA power amp (double-mono), rated at 85w/8ohm - 125w/4ohm
2xREGA EXON monoblock, rated at 125w/8ohm - 225w/4ohm
hooked up on a REGA CURSA pre-amp

I tried out two different bi-amp (passive) configurations with my Aerius i:

1. the MAJA power amp for the panels and the two monoblocks for the woofers.

2. vice-versa, the monoblocks for the panels and the MAJA power-amp for the woofers.

Knowing Roberto's advice in many threads here, I gave myself a few days of listening with both configurations. For my ears, the second is the better one: a big step forward for mid's an high's, and nothing hearable worse in the low's in comparison with #1. So I trust my ears and stay with it like that.

But now, as I don't know much about the technique behind, I ask myself a question: Is there a logical, technical reason for my experience? "Must" it sound better in version #2 just because of the amp's specs?

Does some of you have an answer and can it explain? Thanks a lot, it's never to late for learning............Marcello

Marcello said:
Hi everybody

After I've upgraded (look at system #56), I now have the following power amps in my system:

1xREGA MAJA power amp (double-mono), rated at 85w/8ohm - 125w/4ohm
2xREGA EXON monoblock, rated at 125w/8ohm - 225w/4ohm
hooked up on a REGA CURSA pre-amp

I tried out two different bi-amp (passive) configurations with my Aerius i:

1. the MAJA power amp for the panels and the two monoblocks for the woofers.

2. vice-versa, the monoblocks for the panels and the MAJA power-amp for the woofers.

Knowing Roberto's advice in many threads here, I gave myself a few days of listening with both configurations. For my ears, the second is the better one: a big step forward for mid's an high's, and nothing hearable worse in the low's in comparison with #1. So I trust my ears and stay with it like that.

But now, as I don't know much about the technique behind, I ask myself a question: Is there a logical, technical reason for my experience? "Must" it sound better in version #2 just because of the amp's specs?

Does some of you have an answer and can it explain? Thanks a lot, it's never to late for learning............Marcello
Hola Marcello. Keep the one that you liked most. Why the difference?...first of all, the circuit designed on of both amps, there could be a difference in dynamics as an example, and, or little things that when you measured them, would be very closed one to the other in specs, and also how fast one model is regarding to the other, (slew rate)...is the time that the signal stays in the amp, from the input to the output...and it's measurement is in micro-seconds. So you are saying that you can hear a positive difference between both amps and I think that this is what we love and feel. Specifications on any component of just a guide. The final judment is your ears...and you did trusted in yours. You can have a components with great specifications, and when you listen itto them, you don't like them...your ears are right!!! ...so happy listening with your new set up and enjoy the music!!!
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Back