Electro-motion thread -they are comin'

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the bandwidth but here are a couple more pics, one from more of the side and 2 a bit farther back.

So after only 2 weeks of BB playing the Electromotion (at night) and the rep figures about 40 hours of play time, the sound has really come alive. From 2 weeks ago, the flat wall/straightness of the Electromotion sound out of the box is gone. Bigger sound presense and seems a bit wider for the mids and the highs now than what is coming from the Source, although the Source sound is still a bit more "mature". The Source lows are still better and not as "punchy" but not by much.

Anyway for those that got the Source I think you made a good choice as it has a beautiful sound. The sound still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. For those that got the Electromotion, very nice early sound and only time will tell how much better it will get.

I am out of the country for a short bit but I am eager to get to the other BB when I return to hear their Electromotions and compare them with the Vantages as I love the sounds from the Vantages.

The forums here have another thread about getting a used Vantage vs. the Electromotion. I'll post there (with pics if the Vantages and Electromotions if they are side by side) when I get back and get to the other BB.

Amazing...I was initially only looking for a center channel, then I started looking at the Motion 10/12 then I heard the Sources, Vantages and now the Electromotions. I love the sound of the Vantages and after reading posts from you guys on Summits, Spires, SL3's, CLX's and how much fun you all are having I am definitely going to listen to as much as I can before I make a choice.

Best,
Jim

Attachments

• pic 067.jpg
    pic 067.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 781
  • pic 068.jpg
    pic 068.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 779
  • pic 069.jpg
    pic 069.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 765
The crossover may be the same, I really don't know. But the crossover point (the point at which the panel shifts off to the woofer) is 100 hz higher in Electromotion than in the Vantage. That can have a huge impact in the seamlessness of the sound, and should not be overlooked when comparing the two speakers.

Very true, but listening them side by side both sounded excellent to me. Again I already have a Ultra-High End speaker I just like the sound of these panels as they do a lot right. People are comparing used prices of Vantages to Electromotion, when weighing in there decision which I did as well. But after hearing them side by side it was pretty easy for me to save $700 in my case. Most used Vantages I saw under $2500 where local pickup only and if you factor in shipping it's around $175-$200 bucks.

Spec: Sheets are both good

http://www.martinlogan.com/pdf/brochures/brochure_vantage.pdf

http://www.martinlogan.com/pdf/brochures/brochure-electromotion-esl.pdf

Shipping gets even higher if your shipping to from house to house. UPS $180 more not sure about fedx.

I was going to buy the Vantages from a guy in MI, for $2600, he was going to Chicago so we were going to meet there. Some thing came up with his schedule, so he looked into shipping them to me insured which was slightly over $200. I didn't hear a $800 difference been the two, and that was comparing new to used, which technically isn't fair. LOL I am sure we will see Electromotions soon enough on the used market for $1500-$1700. Again, you can go wrong with either speaker.

I had to get two more

Take a look they sound amazing :). You really cant go wrong. I very happy with these speakers.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 723
Very Correct Projectormovielover but I do think you should go listen to them Ungaro because even though its is for sure a very big upgrade they have a completely a different sound. So if you get the chance listen to them but I have no doubt you will just fall in love with them.:)

Oh and yea, I will be getting the summits or the spires at some later date but for now these four in front are just perfect for my room size. If we move into a bigger house after the wedding I will just use the wides in front as either the sides or rears.:)

Last edited:
Thank You very much for the advice projectormovielover and Dynesuffer!:bowdown:

I hope my dealer will order some of the ElectroMotion very soon. Somehow, i'm already sure that i will fall in love.....:D

Hi!

Do you think it would be a good idea to replace my ML Mosaic against the ElectroMotion?

I just replaced my mosaics with the ElectroMotion and I can't be more impressed. Especially at this price point. The difference was notable and I consider myself a novice audiophile.

I just replaced my mosaics with the ElectroMotion and I can't be more impressed. Especially at this price point. The difference was notable and I consider myself a novice audiophile.

Your not a novice bud, audiophile just means your a lover of sound . You have some kick ass speakers and your posting on here that you love them so that makes you a audiophile :rocker:

Sounds great. I know that it is not easy to describe, but can you tell me a few words about the different.
I know, the best way is if i listen the speakers to myself. I hope i can do it very soon.

Hey bro,

I had my prefaces in front and the rest of my system was the encores tf which use the same tech ATF. The main differences are that ESLs are completely transparent meaning its quiet hard to tell where the sound is coming from which is soo great, you have to hear it to believe it. Now another thing is the sound imaging, It feels big. Thats because sound is coming from the whole panel not just a small tweeter that are in most dynamic speakers. And you will also be so surprised how much more information you will hear from these panels, being that they are also the newest Xstat panel which you will find in there more highend models such as the vista all the way up to the CLX.

Oh and the Mosaics probably being the best ATF speaker they ever made they would work great as surround speakers. I'm going to changing my encores for scripts in the next week or so but I am going to keep my prefaces as my rears because I would hate to get rid of such a great speaker and they blend so well.

All I could say is that I could never go back to dynamic speakers lol :). Its kinda like a gateway drug, so once you start you cant go back you just want MORE!!

Last edited:
Sounds great. I know that it is not easy to describe, but can you tell me a few words about the different.
I know, the best way is if i listen the speakers to myself. I hope i can do it very soon.

I think what stood out the most was I truly felt like the speakers disappeared and there was a clearly defined sound stage. I felt like the music truly "snapped" into place, at least much more convincingly than the mosaics. The only other time I was as impressed was when I heard some Wilsons that were 10x the price. I've not had a chance to listen to any of the higher end MLs though.

The speakers really do open up at the higher volume levels too. My girlfriend noticed a difference right away as well, and she was skeptical before we tried them out. I only wish I could compare them to vantages or vistas, but for that price, I have a feeling I would have stuck with the electromotions.

I will say that I haven't gotten them to sound quite as good as in the store (I bought it from a Magnolia's in Best Buy), but I think it will get there. I haven't actually hooked it up to my Integra 9.8 or Rotel amp yet (its running through an onkyo 507 right now), so I think it will sound even better once I do.

Hope that helps.

Thank You very much for the help Dynesuffer and Vhgator! :bowdown:

I have only one last Question, but i think i'm already in love with the EM. :D

My question: You wrote about the big panel and a wide soundstage, but what about the low frequencies? Goes the ElectroMotion deeper as the Mosaic?

Greetings
Antal

Yea the electromotion will go lower (Deeper) and louder because its ported but the mosaics have a better driver, its made of aluminum vs the electromotions paper cone. Aluminum sounds a bit different, tighter i guess you can say. But the eletromotions driver does VERY WELL for what its suppose to do. Like I said its will be much louder and will go lower.

Mosaic goes down to 46hz (Sealed)
Electromotion goes down to 42Hz and gets louder (Ported)

So on the low end they just sound different.

Last edited:
Yea the electromotion will go lower (Deeper) and louder because its ported but the mosaics have a better driver, its made of aluminum vs the electromotions paper cone. Aluminum sounds a bit different, tighter i guess you can say. But the eletromotions driver does VERY WELL for what its suppose to do. Like I said its will be much louder and will go lower.

Mosaic goes down to 46hz (Sealed)
Electromotion goes down to 42Hz and gets louder (Ported)

So on the low end they just sound different.

I was pleasantly surprised on how well the Electromotion sound on bass! Listening to them right now and they are in my HT room I have the door open and I am in my office and they sound like they are right in front of me. I have owned some bigger name Logans in the past and these are equally as impressive.

Latest posts

Back