Electomotion ESL owners opinions please..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ML Goat

Reaction score
I started another thread because the other one as was pointed out was too general. I'd love to know why other people picked theirs and what speakers did you listen to and pass on for these? :rocker:

Hi Goat,

Why did you choose what you did and are you happy with your decision?

In the end, that's all that matters.

GG

I saw Martin Logan's years ago and hearing the type of sound they reproduced was so clear and spacious. Back then I couldn't afford them. I was recently in the market to upgrade my Paradigm Monitor 7's from 11 yrs ago. I wanted something different ,I didn't want just another box speaker. I got these Electromotion ESL's at BB as an open box,saved over $400 on them. I don't know how many hours are on them,but they sound awesome! I love how you can walk up to the speaker and the sound disappears..lol They are awesome with any kind of music,but its gotta be a good recording or it won't sound very good. I need an amp now. I also got the EM C2 center and it sounds great. I need to get the matching FX 2 surrounds also.

While I don't own EMs, I can tell you that the first time I heard MLs was a pair of CLS (not sure which model revision) and I was completely blown away by the transparency - visually and sonically. It immediately clicked with me that designing out "the box" makes all the difference in the world. Of course there are myriad "box speakers" that sound phenominal now as well... but still, there's something different (obviously) about a planar source in terms of how the sound is delivered into the room and ultimately, to your brain. Try as a might over the years to find a box speaker that could get close to that planar sound (without spending tens of thousands) - nothing ever got close. I also went through at least three different sets of Maggies, but they never seemed to provide that last bit of (important to me) inner-detail that MLs readily display.

Good luck to you as you build out your system!

I started another thread because the other one as was pointed out was too general. I'd love to know why other people picked theirs and what speakers did you listen to and pass on for these? :rocker:

I have spent time with the EM ESL's in store & at a personal friends house, For this kind of cash you cannot touch the detail/transparency/speed of this product.
Have owned numerious plannars,stats,ribbons in days gone by & this is the product to get for 2 G's
I put my Vistas on 4 in of block & would recommend the same for the EM's

Not an owner but heard them quite alot as I was 100% set on buying before a certain deal appeared on another pair. whilst listening I compared the electro's to my source and thought the upgrade was well worth the price and nearly bought them the 5th time i went and listened to them

If you want a good deal on sound then I recommend a tube integrated amp. You can get some cheap ones from yaqin (ebay) that sound good and better when you upgrade the tubes. These can be had for around $550 so its a good introduction to that world for very little money. I have hooked up utter garbage digital mp3's to my tube integrated and it hides all the digital harshness and makes it sound quite good. ML speakers love tubes

What does putting them up on blocks accomplish? Do you adjust the rake on yours?

I've been interested in tube amp's ,but they are so expensive. Probably go with an Emotiva X3.. Does an amp make that much difference?

I've been interested in tube amp's ,but they are so expensive. Probably go with an Emotiva X3.. Does an amp make that much difference?

As a current Emotiva owner I say you would be better looking on the used market for a similarly priced amp. Most folks worry about this but amps are solid and last many years more than other electronics. Another thing to bear in mind is that people who have owned good new expensive amps usually take great care of them so most of the used high enders are in like new condition. Many will tell you that amplification is probably the most important component for making your ML's sound good

That's why I'm looking into an amp. I'll probably end up with the X3. Its funny how guys say the ML's are only good for 2 channel music. LOL Obviously they have no clue. ML's sound awesome for movies!

Some users like their stats dead straight , I prefer mine with a bit of a rake cause I sit near field I have never measured the actual tilt, plus prior to this I have been used to much larger speakers that have more vertical dispersion. There is a user here that puts his Spires up on blocks also & maybe a few more.

Racked back ensures timing coherency, that is, the mid-high frequencies(which are racked back) would arrive at your at the same time as the bass frequencies whose woofer is closest to you. This is what Thiels 3.7 series does and they soumd wonderful when i heard them at the Newport Beach Home Entertainment show almost 2 weeks ago.

FWIW, I would advise trying a near perpendicular azimuth and let your ears be the judge.

I know, when I had my SL3's and Summits and set both speakers as described above, I was pleasantly surprised.

Be advised that you must set both both speakers at the exact same azimuth to make an informed decision.

GG

How do you adjust the rake so its even? Is there a trick to it? Also,I have a carpeted floor. Should I take the bumpers off the floor spikes or does it matter?

Just a quick response to DM's last post.

From my experience, setting the azimuth at or near perpendicular improves coherency, speed, soundstaging, etc. There is also less "blurring" to the overall image. As a general observation, the music is more "up front" and impactful versus a more "laid back" sound with the panels tilted back. Using the old classical music hall seating analogy, think Row D (more vertical) versus Row R. Some will like one over the other but if you have the panels tilted back, you should try closer to perpendicular to see which you prefer. That's the nice thing about ML's. They will clearly sound different when adjusted either way.

Goat, all things being equal, the speaker will sound better if it is more stable thereby decreasing panel / cabinet vibrations. I'd find the best location for your speakers using the sliders, and then install the spikes. Make sure they pierce the carpet and are seated into the subfloor.

As far as azimuth consistency, two ways to do that I'm aware of. More expensive. Buy a laser level. Really cheap, make your own "plumb bob". Attach a string with a small amount of weight at the bottom in the exact same spot at the top of both panels so it hangs freely. Measure the distance from the string to a fixed point (again the exact same spot for both speakers) at the bottom of the panels.

Both of these adjustments can have a substantial impact on the sound.

Good luck.

GG

Thanks Gordon.. Good info.. I'll try the string method. I'll expose the spikes too.. I did notice when I lifted the back of the speaker a little to adjust the rake and I noticed a lot more bass when I lifted it up,maybe if they are put on sub dudes or a pedestal the bass would be quite a bit better.. Does that make sense?

Just a quick response to DM's last post.

From my experience, setting the azimuth at or near perpendicular improves coherency, speed, soundstaging, etc. There is also less "blurring" to the overall image. As a general observation, the music is more "up front" and impactful versus a more "laid back" sound with the panels tilted back. Using the old classical music hall seating analogy, think Row D (more vertical) versus Row R. Some will like one over the other but if you have the panels tilted back, you should try closer to perpendicular to see which you prefer. That's the nice thing about ML's. They will clearly sound different when adjusted either way.

Goat, all things being equal, the speaker will sound better if it is more stable thereby decreasing panel / cabinet vibrations. I'd find the best location for your speakers using the sliders, and then install the spikes. Make sure they pierce the carpet and are seated into the subfloor.

As far as azimuth consistency, two ways to do that I'm aware of. More expensive. Buy a laser level. Really cheap, make your own "plumb bob". Attach a string with a small amount of weight at the bottom in the exact same spot at the top of both panels so it hangs freely. Measure the distance from the string to a fixed point (again the exact same spot for both speakers) at the bottom of the panels.

Both of these adjustments can have a substantial impact on the sound.

Good luck.

GG

As usual Gordon excellent description I am gonna have to give this a try...... Thanx Bill

Thanks Gordon.. Good info.. I'll try the string method. I'll expose the spikes too.. I did notice when I lifted the back of the speaker a little to adjust the rake and I noticed a lot more bass when I lifted it up,maybe if they are put on sub dudes or a pedestal the bass would be quite a bit better.. Does that make sense?

Hi Goat,

Absolutely. As I've said in the past, vibration (regardless of how small) can have a significant negative impact on the sound of one's system. And this goes for all hardware.

Reducing speaker vibrations will typically yield tighter, more controlled mid and lower bass. It will also allow for less "smearing", more detail, an increase in transient response / overall "quickness", and a much better spacious, defined, dimensional sound stage.

For better or worse, the amazing thing about ML's is how they reflect any changes you make in your system.

GG

Back