Discount from list

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

music again

Reaction score
Now that I have upgraded my speakers to the ML Summit's, I am looking to replace my old power and pre amp, although not at the same time due to money. So what else is new! Without giving away dealer names, I am cuious to know what kind of discount off list price I can expect from the list of manufaturer's below. I do realize that some dealer's will lump several purchases together to make up for areas that they cannot discount more heavily. For instance, when I purchased my Summits I was told they could not discount more than a certain percent. It was either 5% or 10% I can't recall exactly. However at the same time I purchased the Summit's I purchased a Salamander twin cabinet unit, a TV mount plus a wall mounting installation fee, plus some cabling. All told it ended up about 15% off list for everything.

So, if I walk into a dealer and buy ONE piece of equipment, what do you think I can expect as a discount from list for:

Audio Research
BAT
Cary
Ayre
Pass

Thanks!

JM

I would think 5-10 percent is pretty normal, unless you are buying a demo piece of gear. If you want BAT, CES is coming up and Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio usually buys all of BAT's gear at the show, and then offers some pretty good deals on those units.

You may even want to attend CES and see if you can strike a good deal on a show unit there....

Hi Joe,

If you know what you want and the seller is reputable, try audiogon.

For example, there was a Pass Labs 250.5X amp on the gon recently for $3,700 if I recall correctly. List is $6,500. That would be 43% off list.

Gordon

Some boutique dealers give you nothing off on those brands. If you shop around, however, I agree with Jeff. You can usually get about 10% off on your choices. Those manufacturers do not want their products deeply discounted.

I've had good luck dealing with "boutique" high-end manufacturers... particularly Modwright, and Belles/Power Modules, both offering "fair" pricing, and superb service. In many instances, they can offer you "demo" gear in superb condition, with FULL warranty.

Back