Definitions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomnash

Reaction score
I finally found very detailed definitions for "Class A and Class AB" when referring to amplifiers.
Can somone define the term "First Watt"? When I hear that term I think of my father saying "The best system is not the loudest, but the one that every note sounds incredible even at low volume".

Thanks, Lee

I finally found very detailed definitions for "Class A and Class AB" when referring to amplifiers.
Can somone define the term "First Watt"? When I hear that term I think of my father saying "The best system is not the loudest, but the one that every note sounds incredible even at low volume".

Thanks, Lee

Lee,

All first watt means is that usually, an amplifier's best sound comes from when it isn't stressed or when it is barely breaking a sweat. Some beefy amps like the Rotel RB1090 would pump out 380w at 8ohm, but the first 10 was in Class A and the amp would switch to A/B once it required more power than the 10w it initially provides in A.

I think "first watt" is used to identify that if the first watts that come out of an amplifier aren't pure, then it doesn't matter if an amplifier puts out lots of watts. Pass's company uses that name. A few good watts are better than lots of bad watts. This is an arguement used against high power amps; that their high power comes at the expense of the finesse of lower power amps, which prize ultra purity of sound. Of course, there are high power amps that exhibet this purity of sound. The many users of ultra high efficiency speakers want amps with ultra pure "first watts".
Of course, I may be full of BS, but that's what I think.

"The best system is not the loudest, but the one that every note sounds incredible even at low volume".Thanks, Lee
This statement has more do do with the speaker's characteristics than the amp. Case in point is Magneplaner speakers which do not provide good response (full frequency range) at lower volume and only begin to "sing" when you crank them up a bit.

Back