CLX photos from Munich

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I could probably find this info elsewhere, but is the VERY BOTTOM of the speaker a standard cone woofer or is that just the base and maybe some other electronics (crossover I read about and binding posts)? What is the difference between the regular curved panel we are used to seeing and the flat panel that we are NOT used to seeing? Are the reproducing different frequencies? Not that I would spend $20k on a pair of speakers that didn't have the MBL logo on them, but I am interested in how our ML's are changing. If this works out it will trickle down...

So I could probably find this info elsewhere, but is the VERY BOTTOM of the speaker a standard cone woofer or is that just the base and maybe some other electronics (crossover I read about and binding posts)? What is the difference between the regular curved panel we are used to seeing and the flat panel that we are NOT used to seeing? Are the reproducing different frequencies? Not that I would spend $20k on a pair of speakers that didn't have the MBL logo on them, but I am interested in how our ML's are changing. If this works out it will trickle down...

I'll take a stab at it.

The box at the bottom is support and electronics, there are no dynamic drivers in the CLX.

The curved panel seems to be a longer (57") version of the Summit panel, but it could be unique, I've not seen exact width specs for it.
It handles the ranges of 360Hz on up.

The innovation in the CLX is the new DualForce triple-stator bass panel. These are flat ESL's (as bass is Omni-directional, no need to curve the panel). As you can see in the pics, there are several of these arranged in both size and location to spread out the resonant frequencies of the panels and sum them so that entire 57" height x (y?) width is generating the sound covering frequencies from 56 to 360Hz.

As for how this will trickle down, we’ll have to see. But I doubt they went to all the effort to invent the DualForce ESL and figure out its manufacturing challenges to only use it in the CLX.
Since each DualForce tripleStat ‘panel’ seems to be smaller (I’m guessing about 8’ wide or so), I’d expect we might see some supporting smaller high-freq panels in some mid-range models (but still in the >$7K range). The problem is, there’s no denying physics, and moving low-frequencies will take many square inches. So don’t expect tiny speakers. My guess is the low-end of the smaller setups will be 80hz or so, just about the max for a sub.

Neil, not that I can tell ... but we might have known each other nevertheless for a longer time (have a Mac myself :D:D:D)
I was just sardonically referring to the fact that I've (some think shamelessly :confused:) long campaigned for McToobs 'n Logans. Of course there are other, perhaps better, tube amps, but not in terms of bang for buck, IMO.

Hi, everybody

Remember me? Last year Paulo translated my report from the Munich High End Show which showed a photo of the CLX under wraps and a description which one lyear ater proved to be quite accurate:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?p=47891#post47891

This year besides photos of the CLX in the nude, so to say, you can see a very short video of the CLX demonstration:

http://www.hificlube.net/common/ver_artigo.asp?id_artigo=2243&seccao=Noticias&subseccao=Noticias

You may as well stay tuned and read the full report in www.hificlube.net

If only Paulo would be so nice as to translate it again for me...

All the best to the ML Community

Henry aka José Victor Henriques

I like the look of the CLX more and more. The more I see it the more I want it. I would love to listen to it. The CLX has won me over. I think I know why. I looks a lot like the monolith. They should call it Monolith CLX.

Last edited:
Yes, the CLX is winning me over too - I like it a lot!

Can't wait to hear it (you know - in six months time)......

From a looks perspective, I've liked the red one and the Black Aluminium frame versions.

From a looks perspective, I've liked the red one and the Black Aluminium frame versions.

I'm with you, Jon. Those are my two favorites so far too. Although I imagine a dark walnut would look great as well.

No light oak trim (unless I've missed it)? Oak must have been fairly popular at one time as its common to find older units, i.e. reQuests, SL3's, in that color.

Also if anyone can clarify, am I correct that the CLX's come in two different trim styles, one being more 'curvy' than the other?

Tj

... am I correct that the CLX's come in two different trim styles, one being more 'curvy' than the other?

Perhaps ML's plan is to market upgrade trim levels just like the auto industry... DX, LX (or better yet... CLX, DLX)!

If they sound great that's what matters. I'd like to hear what a CLS owner thinks of the sound compared to his existing speakers.

Back