CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, I'm the chap with the grey jumper and high collar third head from the left on the back row.

You appear to be the mastermind of the group... no doubt biding your time, planning your next maneuver with molecular precision. ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the inside scoop. Anyone in this forum not foaming with rabid jealousy simply has yet to read your other thread.

Cheers

Hey folks,
Been running my CLX since I got them pretty much nonstop for break in time and Ill tall ya, after 100 hours these things have changed yet again with amazing detail and balance.
This is one of the best audio purchases I ever made if not the best.

I also have a friend that makes high end audio cables and he dropped off an entire set of new designs last night and I’m having fun changing, morphing and playing around with different cables, very fun indeed.

This picture depicts my entire day/mood. I’ve been listening all day and am just so relaxed. I also want to thank you guys for all the cd/music suggestions on this forum because I have been buying lots of it and am enjoying that as well.

Today has been musical bliss.

Attachments

• clx_red.jpg
    clx_red.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 307
Hey folks,
Been running my CLX since I got them pretty much nonstop for break in time and Ill tall ya, after 100 hours these things have changed yet again with amazing detail and balance.
This is one of the best audio purchases I ever made if not the best.

I also have a friend that makes high end audio cables and he dropped off an entire set of new designs last night and I’m having fun changing, morphing and playing around with different cables, very fun indeed.

This picture depicts my entire day/mood. I’ve been listening all day and am just so relaxed. I also want to thank you guys for all the cd/music suggestions on this forum because I have been buying lots of it and am enjoying that as well.

Today has been musical bliss.

Talk about vindication aye Pete? The rehillion wait was so worth it! Cool that your friend makes cables. Can you describe their construction and/or conductor material(s)?

Enjoy those awesome transducers of awesomeness :)

You appear to be the mastermind of the group... no doubt biding your time, planning your next maneuver with molecular precision. ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the inside scoop. Anyone in this forum not foaming with rabid jealousy simply has yet to read your other thread.

Cheers

Too many years of writing code, code, code. I am constantly evaluating the sequential, iterative and selective processes that may occur at any given moment, desperately aware that I might be outgunned by another competing Wammer (forum member).

Bake-offs are good fun. It is a good learning pool for people - far more so than a show. And for some components, e.g. phono stages and preamps, you can learn that super hyper expensive items can only muster a performance that really isn't massively better than a well designed reasonably priced one. There seems to be a big trend over here towards battery driven devices. If it runs on batteries, it is cool. No jokes here, please...:D

It is a shame ML forum members don't live within a driveable distance of one another. If we did, I'm sure we'd have had some pretty cool events. One advantage of living on a small island.

It may interest you to know that once a year the forum books a hotel with 50 odd rooms in. Members then take their entire systems there to demonstrate and discuss. An entirely enthusiast driven event. Trade member's are banned!

Necrosuit - I may have seemd a little terse, but sure, if you want to come round for a listen - no problem but PM me first,

Last edited:
Todd, I just watched the video. She's obviously a talented pianist, but Bach really fails to move me; I have even been to Bach concerts by Perahia and Brendel and have not been moved. To me Bach sounds mathematically correct and unemotional; it doesn't even appeal to the mathematician in me, and I used to be a good mathematician in school.

Her playing of the last piece, "Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring" made me think of a comment I heard a while ago. The commentator said that the name is JOY, so why is it played so slowly, and she takes it really slow.

BTW have you heard Scriabin's "Poem of Ecstasy"? I imagine it would sound great through those new-fangled speakers of yours. I did a review of it a while ago in the "Recommended Recordings" section.

Todd, I just watched the video. She's obviously a talented pianist, but Bach really fails to move me; I have even been to Bach concerts by Perahia and Brendel and have not been moved. To me Bach sounds mathematically correct and unemotional; it doesn't even appeal to the mathematician in me, and I used to be a good mathematician in school.

Her playing of the last piece, "Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring" made me think of a comment I heard a while ago. The commentator said that the name is JOY, so why is it played so slowly, and she takes it really slow.

BTW have you heard Scriabin's "Poem of Ecstasy"? I imagine it would sound great through those new-fangled speakers of yours. I did a review of it a while ago in the "Recommended Recordings" section.

You're a tough cookie Bernard. First your dislike for Beth Nielsen Chapman (her O Salutaris Hostia has become one of my prime demo tracks - one that has utterly floored everyone who's auditioned my CLXs)... and now this? Dinnerstein's brilliant playing of Bach's timeless compositions is, IMO, deeply moving. Funny how people's perspectives can be so disparate. Maybe you would appreciate her collaboration with Zuill Bailey re: Beethoven's complete works for piano and cello? http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Work...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296318766&sr=8-2-spell

BTW... I think most women would have a ready answer to that commentator's question about why Joy should be taken slowly. I'm guessing that commentator was male.

Thanks for the Scriabin pointer.

Last edited:
You're a tough cookie Bernard. First your dislike for Beth Nielsen Chapman (her O Salutaris Hostia has become one of my prime demo tracks - one that has utterly floored everyone who's auditioned my CLXs)... and now this? Dinnerstein's brilliant playing of Bach's timeless compositions is, IMO, deeply moving. Funny how people's perspectives can be so disparate. Maybe you would appreciate her collaboration with Zuill Bailey re: Beethoven's complete works for piano and cello? http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Work...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296318766&sr=8-2-spell

BTW... I think most women would have a ready answer to that commentator's question about why Joy should be taken slowly. I'm guessing that commentator was male.

Thanks for the Scriabin pointer.
Todd, now that's more like it, the Beethoven that is. I look for passion in music, and can't find it in Bach, but it's there in spades with Beethoven. BTW you HAVE to get Beethoven's Triple Concerto. I had the immense pleasure of hearing it live by the Beaux Arts Trio. It's a gorgeous piece of music, but part of the enjoyment was seeing the obvious pleasure Menahem Pressler had in making music with his companions.

As for joy being taken slowly, that can't be applied universally. It's funny but I've heard that piece of music played in church at weddings, funerals, and at Christmas.

BTW I once read a statement, "Mozart makes me laugh, Beethoven makes me cry". I agree with both. Bach ?

Last edited:
Todd, now that's more like it, the Beethoven that is. I look for passion in music, and can't find it in Bach, but it's there in spades with Beethoven. BTW you HAVE to get Beethoven's Triple Concerto. I had the immense pleasure of hearing it live by the Beaux Arts Trio. It's a gorgeous piece of music, but part of the enjoyment was seeing the obvious pleasure Menahem Pressler had in making music with his companions.

As for joy being taken slowly, that can't be applied universally. It's funny but I've heard that piece of music played in church at weddings, funerals, and at Christmas.

BTW I once read a statement, "Mozart makes me laugh, Beethoven makes me cry". I agree with both. Bach ?

Funerals may not always be joyless, depending on who's in attendance. Which reminds me of a funny line from Demetri Martin that goes something like this: The terms "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" are the same, unless spoken at a funeral.

I have so many Beethoven CDs - I'll have to go look to see if I have the triple "in stock" already. Thanks again.

Oh, another pianist for you to consider. She's somewhat polarizing because she takes full improvisational license when playing the classics. But I find her outside-the-box style captivating and refreshing. Plus, she's smokin' hot! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Montero-Chopin-Oeuvres-Pour-Piano/dp/B000A1ZXPG/ref=pd_krex_shvl_3

Attachments

• 61vNFZgJ6xL._SY470_.jpg
    61vNFZgJ6xL._SY470_.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 210
Todd, she certainly is smokin' hot. I have all of those pieces of music, but played by crusty old guys like you!

Check out Eliane Elias, a Brazilian singer/pianist.....Diane Krall in Portuguese, if you will.

You guys.

You want emotion. Try Mahler. :D

I know Bernard, you don't like him but he sure speaks to me, much more than Beethoven.

GG

You guys.

You want emotion. Try Mahler. :D

I know Bernard, you don't like him but he sure speaks to me, much more than Beethoven.

GG

Hi Gordon

Do either of you guys own any Cherubini or Mehul? Not only do I think they are wonderful contemporaries (more or less) of Beethoven, but I think they bring a lot of the same passion to the table. Beethoven once responded, when asked who HIS favorite composer was, "Cherubini".

There are some real gems in these two collections.

Attachments

• 51ImCcifKPL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51ImCcifKPL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 517h5HyRW-L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    517h5HyRW-L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 177
Todd, this is the first I've heard of Méhul. IIRC Cherubini is best known for his Requiem, but I have not heard it. I was unaware that he was Ludwig's favourite.

Bernard... and anyone else interested in classical music:

When you have a moment, watch the video of Simon Dinnerstein in the upper right hand corner of this link and let me know what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Simone-Dinnerstein/e/B002E3LXKW/ref=ac_dpt_sa_videos

Cheers, Todd

Opening of BWV 1052 bit on the turgid side - for a complete contrast try Perahia and The Academy of St Martin in the Fields Sony SK89245. A more well mannered version Angela Hewitt and The Australian Chamber Orchestra Hyperion CDA 67307. My favourite is still Schiff with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe - not the greatest recording but he makes the music float.

We are listening to Bach on our repanelled Monoliths. Fantastic - panel supplied by local georgehifi who has posted here occasionally along with a replacement set of woofers that have been tucked away as his 80hz lcr filter has transformed the behaviour of the original driver.

Kevin

Opening of BWV 1052 bit on the turgid side - for a complete contrast try Perahia and The Academy of St Martin in the Fields Sony SK89245. A more well mannered version Angela Hewitt and The Australian Chamber Orchestra Hyperion CDA 67307. My favourite is still Schiff with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe - not the greatest recording but he makes the music float.

We are listening to Bach on our repanelled Monoliths. Fantastic - panel supplied by local georgehifi who has posted here occasionally along with a replacement set of woofers that have been tucked away as his 80hz lcr filter has transformed the behaviour of the original driver.

Kevin

G'day Kevin - thanks for the contribution and glad to hear your retooled Monoliths are singing sweetly.

Also, can anyone identify which CD includes the track from the second sample down here? That is one amazing recording!

http://live.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/ces.pl?&VT_30-119&RoomView&VT&st81&&&&&CES11

Thanks
Todd, when I sic'd SoundHound on my iPhone on that second track, it came back with Japanese characters.

In any case, it is Albinoni's "Adagio". The version I have is by "I Musici", but on that second sample it is played much slower and more profoundly than the version I have, perhaps just a bit too slow for my taste, though (yes, I know I'm a tough cookie!). Maybe Mischa Maisky does it on the cello?

Back