CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To everyone out there in the path, good luck with mother nature. We're getting all your leftovers in Maine right now. This is what it's like to live in a snow-globe I guess.

Stay safe!

And what sort of cold-stone etiquette breach is it when a man with new CLX in his house isn't parked in front of them for at least the first 36 hours straight? Bob, I assume you'll be having a heart-to-heart with Necroson. ;)

Hi Todd,
Just got done snow blowing 27" of snow but it appears to be slowing down now.

Yes you are correct that I need to talk to that young man about proper precedure in listening to new speakers;)
I never did it the way he did:D. I must have slacked off:devil:

Best,
Bob

Hi Todd,
Just got done snow blowing 27" of snow

Daaayaamn! I think we're up around 14" or so now, but given that I just spotted an umbrella wielding snowman with vest and goatee gleefully (if disturbingly) gliding around the front yard, I'd say there may be more snowfall yet. Of course there is that methadone clinic next door, so maybe it's not what I had first assumed... but I'll opt for a magically reincarnated Burl Ives snow-entity versus brainpan-fried escapee... it's just more comforting somehow.

Congrats on the new CLX's Pete! Glad they finally arrived safely!

Thanks guys! Its been a journey for sure :cheers:
Here is a picture of my Temporary setup with the Sub connected.

Attachments

• temp_setup.jpg
    temp_setup.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 247
Is it time to update your member system thread or wait till more walls are torn down Mr. Gorbechev?

Haha, yes I think its time to update the member system image. It will be awhile before my next political move to tear down the western wall.....

the stairway

well... I've had the CLXs for about 2 weeks now and figured a brief update might be in order. If we use the appended graphic as a simple measure of satisfaction, the Maggie MG12s were perhaps 5 steps up, and the Summit-Xs maybe another dozen so... but the CLXs ----> the CLXs have me lost in the clouds entirely.

The "materialization" of the original musical event is conveyed so effortlessly and elegantly, it's genuinely astounding. I am constantly surprised at just how good these things really are.

I spend a lot of time here in this room as this space multitasks as home-office/gym/audio-room/inner-sanctum. I'll come in most mornings around 8ish, hit the PS Audio PPP remote power switch and light up all the toys. Then, via the Olive<>iPhone interface, I'll select something that reflects my mood (or helps direct my mood). And while logged into work, sending incendiary emails to all my co-workers - exposing their various levels of ineptitude (and getting no shortage of equally abusive emails in return), I sit here and smile my ass off (really, I have no ass left) at the vibratory finesse of these transducers. I'm sure this sonic-nirvana is also due, in part, to the upstream componentry... each doing their expected duty and then politely genuflecting as they oh-so minimally impart their own audio-signatures to the end result - blissful transduction!

I've got a work related event this evening, so I'll continue sharing thoughts and impressions as time allows.

Cheers folks and have a great weekend!

Attachments

• css5stepstitle.jpg
    css5stepstitle.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 345
Music recommendation

Bernard (and anyone else who appreciates solemn vocals)

You MUST check this out. I stumbled across it while Amazoning some other selection. Listened to the samples and decided to give the dice a role. Wow am I glad I did!

The harmonic structure, the sense of space, the minimalist instrumental accompaniment... it all adds up to some deeply moving (IMO) music.

This CD's engineering is excellent . Beth's unadulterated, simple, pure voice exudes a level of peace and calm that very few of my recordings have captured.

I especially enjoy Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus - very goosebumpy.

"Hymns" by Beth Nielsen Chapman - highly recommended by this pantheist.

p.s. anyone else who wishes to use this thread for musical recommendations (versus the dreaded moderated section) is welcome to post.

Attachments

• 51ZDTX9174L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51ZDTX9174L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 284
Todd, I checked out a few sample tracks (including Ave Verum Corpus, which is a piece of music I really like), but unfortunately I don't like her voice.

You should listen to "Prayers" by Sumi Jo. That CD I do like. She does a fine job of Caccini's "Ave Maria". I also like the way she does "Kaddish" (no, I'm not Jewish).

Last edited:
Todd, I checked out a few sample tracks (including Ave Verum Corpus, which is a piece of music I really like), but unfortunately I don't like her voice.

You should listen to "Prayers" by Sumi Jo. That CD I do like. She does a fine job of Caccini's "Ave Maria". I also like the way she does "Kaddish" (no, I'm not Jewish).

Sorry to hear that. I find her voice refreshingly "real"... and the harmonies on several of the songs are, IMO, quite beautiful.

I own almost all of Sumi Jo's CDs. Prayers gets a fair amount of play time.

Cheers

Todd, have you "discovered" Mischa Maisky? He does some gorgeous solo cello (with piano accompaniment) of a lot of the standard classical repertoire, as well as some less well-known stuff. I really love his interpretation of Schubert's "Ständchen".

And btw you should also hear Murray Perahia's amazing interpretation of it; I heard it live at a concert he played. It was an encore that was worth the price of the whole concert. And while you're at it, buy his recording of the Schubert Impromptus, which I also heard live; it was a sublime experience.

Had some fun this w/e. Not worth raising a separate thread but I thought some of you might like to read up on adventures in bake-off land UK. Some nice pics & gear at any rate. So Todd I thought I'd use your thread if that's OK.;)

Bake-off

Todd, have you "discovered" Mischa Maisky? He does some gorgeous solo cello (with piano accompaniment) of a lot of the standard classical repertoire, as well as some less well-known stuff. I really love his interpretation of Schubert's "Ständchen".

And btw you should also hear Murray Perahia's amazing interpretation of it; I heard it live at a concert he played. It was an encore that was worth the price of the whole concert. And while you're at it, buy his recording of the Schubert Impromptus, which I also heard live; it was a sublime experience.

Thanks for the pointers Bernard. I don't think I've heard any of these. Will spend some time investigating.

Had some fun this w/e. Not worth raising a separate thread but I thought some of you might like to read up on adventures in bake-off land UK. Some nice pics & gear at any rate. So Todd I thought I'd use your thread if that's OK.;)

Bake-off

Thanks Justin... fortunately I have my English-to-American dictionary handy, so I was able to decipher much of the thread. So it seems this was the audiophile equivalent of a pub crawl, ya? IOW, as a group, the lot of you sampled two or three different systems/rooms all in a day? I am deep forest green with envy! Your 211s looked particularly ravishing (though I read your comment about some brightness with the Wilsons... c'est la vie). That Modwright Transporter is the stuff erections are made of. I'd like to compare it to my Olive/W4SDAC2 combo... some day.

Which bloke are you in the family photo? Or were you behind the camera? And for a lovely bunch of audiphiles, I saw nary a grin. Whatsupwiththat? Or is it that reserved British behavior shining through?

Anyway, thanks for sharing! Hopefully we can reciprocate with a similar bake state-side.

Cheers

Last edited:
Which block are you in the family photo? Or were you behind the camera? And for a lovely bunch of audiphiles, I saw nary a grin. Whatsupwiththat? Or is it that reserved British behavior shining through?
They really do look like a sombre lot. Hard to believe that that is the same country that fathered Rowan Atkinson !

Thanks Justin... fortunately I have my English-to-American dictionary handy, so I was able to decipher much of the thread. So it seems this was the audiophile equivalent of a pub crawl, ya? IOW, as a group, the lot of you sampled two or three different systems/rooms all in a day? I am deep forest green with envy! Your 211s looked particularly ravishing (though I read your comment about some brightness with the Wilsons... c'est la vie). That Modwright Transporter is the stuff erections are made of. I'd like to compare it to my Olive/W4SDAC2 combo... some day.

Which bloke are you in the family photo? Or were you behind the camera? And for a lovely bunch of audiphiles, I saw nary a grin. Whatsupwiththat? Or is it that reserved British behavior shining through?

Anyway, thanks for sharing! Hopefully we can reciprocate with a similar bake state-side.

Cheers

You have to be careful with a Wilson tweeter. IMHO, they can be made to sound terrible with the wrong amps. Krells are useless with them, I think. ARC much better. Much. My 211s? Not the best match in all honesty but they did work pretty well. We could have done better I think with some 211 rollling.

Anyway, I'm the chap with the grey jumper and high collar third head from the left on the back row.

Over breakfast this morning, Jim the bake-off holder made the comment that we all looked miserable as hell. We weren't - serious business though, this, with some seriously good kit. I must say I had a bl**dy good time. Really, really enjoyed it.

The Modright is nice, as is the Emission Labs rectifier stuffed on the top. Shuguang Treasure Series for the other two tubes. You could do worse, and we played some 24/96 stuff using that and a laptop. Sounded good.

Justin,
I had necropop over the other day and he commented on how he has heard your speakers years ago (well not yours, but the same pair, not upgraded) and said they were amazing. Now since I have OCD I want to hear these things :D. Me and my GF are thinking about a Europe trip, pm me where your located, cause if Im within 4-5 hours, im coming over!
Ive been to many places in Europe and always had fun...now its Audio fun time...shhhhhh, she doesnt know.:rolleyes:

Back