CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that is an option. Thanks for the advice!

Damn, just called the freight company, if things keep going the way they are I wont get these till the end of the week!
They are still on the delivery dock in New Jersey 2 hours from me. They are set to move to another New Jersey location today, that location will call me to schedule the delivery. Now we have that big snow storm coming in tomorrow night...uhggg...Unfortunatley I cannot break away from my job to go pick these up in Jersey.

I share your consternation as if it were my very own - because it was for so many weeks. Good luck weathering the storm (metaphorical and otherwise).

Uggghhh. You are going to sand Sheetrock with CLXs in the room? DUST!!
QUOTE]

Yea, Ive thought about this, Most likely I will either seal the CLX with the covers and then the plastic and then seal that side of the room with painters plastic and tape and I also have an air purifier in there. Or I will just move them out of the room when the work is done, that seems to be the safest choice. hmmmm...

I will be wet sanding this with a sponge. I will also check with one of our subcontractors as he will have tapers on our jobs and they have the vac sanders but wet sanding is still prefered:D

I will be wet sanding this with a sponge. I will also check with one of our subcontractors as he will have tapers on our jobs and they have the vac sanders but wet sanding is still prefered:D

Wow!! You are the first person I have run across that doesn't look at me sideways when I mention doing this type of thing. I think it comes out better/smoother etc....Of course - I may not be the best 'mudder' either so maybe that is why I find it so much easier...and who wants to deal with those masks!!

1/11/11.....

Well here it is 1/11/11 and who thought that the magical "1" would be the one day I actually saw Santa Claws...(pun Intended) Alice Cooper.

Yes, they are here! unharmed and mint!
First impressions are:
Well I absolutley need a bigger room!
But the sound that comes out is fan-F-n-tastic!
Right outta the box the sounds are second to none.....finally! its over! yayayayayayay:D

Attachments

• CLX.jpg
    CLX.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 196
Well here it is 1/11/11 and who thought that the magical "1" would be the one day I actually saw Santa Claws...(pun Intended) Alice Cooper.

Yes, they are here! unharmed and mint!
First impressions are:
Well I absolutley need a bigger room!
But the sound that comes out is fan-F-n-tastic!
Right outta the box the sounds are second to none.....finally! its over! yayayayayayay:D

ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Pete!!! I am thrilled for you... and they look gorgeous!

Yes, the CLX's do look a little snug. They are indeed a fantastic speaker. I have put a substantial amount of OC 705 frk and Auralex on my front wall to help dampen the the reflection. My CLX's are in a large room and the absorption was still a major improvement. I highly recommend you look at Jonfo's (Jonathan's) sticky on acoustics. Welcome to the CLX club.

It doesn't get much better.

Regards,
Gary

ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Pete!!! I am thrilled for you... and they look gorgeous!

Thanks Todd! Its been since October that I put a deposit on thse babies, and its finally done. Seems a bit strange that the wait is over almost like its supposed to be forever...
But Even though my room is small, these things are absolutely amazing, hands down. I didnt even hook up the sub yet and the bass has been pleasant.

Yes, the CLX's do look a little snug. They are indeed a fantastic speaker. I have put a substantial amount of OC 705 frk and Auralex on my front wall to help dampen the the reflection. My CLX's are in a large room and the absorption was still a major improvement. I highly recommend you look at Jonfo's (Jonathan's) sticky on acoustics. Welcome to the CLX club.

It doesn't get much better.

Regards,
Gary

Thanks Gary. Me and BobF will be playing with these a bunch to try and dial in the speakers to the room as best we can this weekend, right BobF? hehe
I am a proud owner and am already hearing the resons why these are so sought after....:music:

Seriously a solid wall of sound there. Congrats!!

I didnt even hook up the sub yet and the bass has been pleasant.

That was one of the first things I noticed too. With all the hubbub about how they "only go down to 50Hz" etc, they sound anything but anemic to me.

They're lush, full, and highly musical (insanely so IMO). No, they don't loosen teeth on their own, but for most music that I listen too (at least when I'm not in a dentist's chair), it's a non-issue. Having said that, a quality sub does complete the picture when called for.

What was the first tune you played and did you hear anything in it you hadn't before?

Wow!! You are the first person I have run across that doesn't look at me sideways when I mention doing this type of thing. I think it comes out better/smoother etc....Of course - I may not be the best 'mudder' either so maybe that is why I find it so much easier...and who wants to deal with those masks!!
I hear you Timm:music:
Been in the business a long time as this is needed to be done at times when we remodel hospital facilities that are not totally shutdown.Glad I don't tape to often and don't wear the tools anymore unless helping the son or my house.

Best,
Bob

Thanks Gary. Me and BobF will be playing with these a bunch to try and dial in the speakers to the room as best we can this weekend, right BobF? hehe
I am a proud owner and am already hearing the resons why these are so sought after....:music:
Who's BobF:confused:
I emailed
you at 3:30am and your not listening to music:devil: Only 15" of snow so far today as of 6:15, yeah, no work today:rocker:
Necrodad

I emailed
you at 3:30am and your not listening to music:devil: Only 15" of snow so far today as of 6:15, yeah, no work today:rocker:
Necrodad

To everyone out there in the path, good luck with mother nature. We're getting all your leftovers in Maine right now. This is what it's like to live in a snow-globe I guess.

Stay safe!

And what sort of cold-stone etiquette breach is it when a man with new CLX in his house isn't parked in front of them for at least the first 36 hours straight? Bob, I assume you'll be having a heart-to-heart with Necroson. ;)

That was one of the first things I noticed too. With all the hubbub about how they "only go down to 50Hz" etc, they sound anything but anemic to me.

They're lush, full, and highly musical (insanely so IMO). No, they don't loosen teeth on their own, but for most music that I listen too (at least when I'm not in a dentist's chair), it's a non-issue. Having said that, a quality sub does complete the picture when called for.

What was the first tune you played and did you hear anything in it you hadn't before?

I will hook up the Sub today and hear the differences.
So far each cd on put on just reveals sounds I have never heard in the full spectrum! Detail is like no other. I just need to get my room wider for the staging to be a bit better but I am not complaining! Very very enjoyable.
The first disc I played was Al Di Meola - Elegegant Gypsy and yes! hearing $hit I have never even heard at Necrodad's house and his sytem is amazing.
So Like Todd has mentioned in the past, if any folks are in the new england area and want to have a nice listen session hit me up.

I emailed
Necrodad

Haha, yea I crashed early, midnight. Left them running all night for break in time.
Unfortunately I dont get time off when Im stuck home from snow :mad:
I am lucky enough to have the ability to remote control into my clients and work on their issues, all day. ofcourse there will be a sneak away or two for some CLX fixes.....

On the subject of earth ground and CLXs... I just realized, there is no earth ground for CLXs. The IEC connector on the CLX is dual pronged only. The power cables supplied with the CLXs (which I've only just recently taken out of their box as part of this experimentation process) is, as you would expect, also only dual-pronged. While interesting, it still doesn't resolve the JL hum issue. Now if my employer would just see fit to give me as much time as I need to work the debug..... my phone's ringing. Gotta go.

Just realized that the Depth i has no earth ground as well.

Congrats on the new speakers , I hope they are all you expected they look awesome!

Back