CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm running a single F112 in my system and have never had any hum issues. Are you running balanced or unbalanced interconnects? Can you try balanced and see?

My JL's are dead quiet. I run them as a stereo pair with XLR cables. I considered the slave/master combination but never tried it. The stereo pair seemed a bit more "authentic" to me.

Gordon

That's easy... the Sigs will go lower and we will hear beautiful music. The CLX's, on the other hand, will reproduce the original musical event with mind-bending purity, fidelity, and deeply moving sonic ecstasy... and upon receiving such heavenly strains, we shall blush, pulses racing, as we (in a minor panic) look for an album cover suitable for hiding our inevitable anatomical reactions... we shall then drink a toast, nodding with disbelief, at the CLX's audible-obliteration of the Sigs. You will then immediately log onto Agon and post a classified to "unload" the Sigs and begin a fevered search for a pair of the most enlightening transducers ever devised by man. I see no other possible outcome. ;)

Such deep rooted insecurity. Such unknowing of the power of Graz's ribbons. Such innocence with respect to the hot-rodded x-over mods.

The poor little CLX's. We shall smile as the Duetta's bass makes the light little CLX's bounce up and down on the floor in shocked protest. We will witness the CLX's chameleon like transformation from a shade of maple to a bright red pigmentation. We'll feel deep remorse for a loudspeaker, that, whilst it has tried the best that it can do given that it is constructed of cheese graters and empty crisp packets, can only use the power of the same force that makes yer hair stand on end.

In the end we will reflect that magnets and Bacofoil are really where it is at, as we pick up the shattered remains of the ego-smashed CLX's fractured carcass.:eek:

Such deep rooted insecurity. Such unknowing of the power of Graz's ribbons. Such innocence with respect to the hot-rodded x-over mods.

The poor little CLX's. We shall smile as the Duetta's bass makes the light little CLX's bounce up and down on the floor in shocked protest. We will witness the CLX's chameleon like transformation from a shade of maple to a bright red pigmentation. We'll feel deep remorse for a loudspeaker, that, whilst it has tried the best that it can do given that it is constructed of cheese graters and empty crisp packets, can only use the power of the same force that makes yer hair stand on end.

In the end we will reflect that magnets and Bacofoil are really where it is at, as we pick up the shattered remains of the ego-smashed CLX's fractured carcass.:eek:

In the same parallel universe where earthworms recite Shakespeare and cuttlefish smoke opium, it is possible, though infinitesimally so, that your accounting could play out. However, in this universe - the waking one, where we interact with stark reality, these flights of fancy are merely distorted dreams of the incoherently inclined.

Having said that... while I have heard and even owned Sigs and enjoyed them immensely, you're quite right that I've never had the pleasure of hearing Graz's flirtations with foil and frequency - while conversely, you have auditioned the CLX. I therefore allow you that point, sir.

Also, your CLX deconstruction re: cheese graters and crisp packets... excellent! I shall have to work on an appropriately graphic Duetta-disemboweling worthy of the precedent set forth.

My JL's are dead quiet. I run them as a stereo pair with XLR cables. I considered the slave/master combination but never tried it. The stereo pair seemed a bit more "authentic" to me.

Gordon

This is one of the configs I will test. Thanks... I'm just drawn to the M/S option due to the ease of use wrt adjustments.

This is one of the configs I will test. Thanks... I'm just drawn to the M/S option due to the ease of use wrt adjustments.

I can appreciate the ease you mention! I have an irregular shaped room and it was quite the chore to balance the two while trying to blend them with the Spires. Many hours spent with test dics and spl meter!!

Your room appears much more in balance than mine, so perhaps the m/s option is the ticket.

Gordon

Hi Jeff,

I briefly searched for a CLX schematic and came up empty (though I did find an interesting diy-audio forum thread on CLX user modifications). So, I don't know exactly what earth ground is connected to inside the box. At any rate, I did remove earth ground from the AC connection to the CLX (and every other component in the system in various configurations) and that made no difference.
Todd, just FYI, when I opened up my SL3s I was somewhat surprised to discover that the AC ground was not connected to anything internally. I'm not, of course, saying that it's necessarily the same with the CLX. When you removed the ground from the sub did you also try reversing the live/neutral ?

Todd, just FYI, when I opened up my SL3s I was somewhat surprised to discover that the AC ground was not connected to anything internally. I'm not, of course, saying that it's necessarily the same with the CLX. When you removed the ground from the sub did you also try reversing the live/neutral ?

Good point... some of my hack-power-cables allow for live/common swap over (the prongs are both the same size)... some of the other cables do not allow for this (without removing some prong metal). I will look into this further.

Thanks

Last edited:
I can appreciate the ease you mention! I have an irregular shaped room and it was quite the chore to balance the two while trying to blend them with the Spires. Many hours spent with test dics and spl meter!!

Your room appears much more in balance than mine, so perhaps the m/s option is the ticket.

Gordon

good point, i suppose room symmetry has a lot to do with which option works best.

Also, your CLX deconstruction re: cheese graters and crisp packets... excellent! I shall have to work on an appropriately graphic Duetta-disemboweling worthy of the precedent set forth.

I thought I had that covered with "magnets and Bacofoil":ROFL:.

TBH, I think the two speakers are sufficiently different as to make choosing a personal preference. But when it comes to bass, well, there is a clear cut winner. And it isn't the CLX:(

They are bl**dy good though, Todd. Well up there in the performance stakes. Especially with subs working as they should, I'm sure:)

On the subject of earth ground and CLXs... I just realized, there is no earth ground for CLXs. The IEC connector on the CLX is dual pronged only. The power cables supplied with the CLXs (which I've only just recently taken out of their box as part of this experimentation process) is, as you would expect, also only dual-pronged. While interesting, it still doesn't resolve the JL hum issue. Now if my employer would just see fit to give me as much time as I need to work the debug..... my phone's ringing. Gotta go.

Ode To Todd....

Ahhhh closer to the finish line.....
Cheers to ya Todd!

ps, The CLX are in my state, but due to the snow today it was late so I could not go pick it up, it will have to wait to Monday or Tuesday.

Attachments

• ode_to_todd.jpg
    ode_to_todd.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 222
Ahhhh closer to the finish line.....
Cheers to ya Todd!

ps, The CLX are in my state, but due to the snow today it was late so I could not go pick it up, it will have to wait to Monday or Tuesday.

Excellent progress!

Is that a tat on your hand? Looks like complex art.

Why, yes that is a tat on my hand, Done by none other than Paul Booth. Google the name.
Damn snow! just checked the tracking # and it says on delivery dock!
In the words of Stewie, Blast!

Why, yes that is a tat on my hand, Done by none other than Paul Booth. Google the name.
Damn snow! just checked the tracking # and it says on delivery dock!
In the words of Stewie, Blast!

As you know, same happened to me (i.e. the sacred ones having to spend the weekend dock-bound)... but the time will fly by and before you know it you'll be wide-eyed with scissors in hand, slicing through those plastic bands and crackin' those caskets wide open - senses heightened, adrenal pumping, pupils dilated, cervix almost fully effaced (wait, sorry, that doesn't belong here... I've seen too many births and got caught-up in the drama... OK, back on track now) your heart pounding against your ribs... dizzying anticipation! Next you'll be exhuming those stately sleeping giants... readying them... preparing them... preparing yourself... throwing that virtual knife-switch, applying that first life-giving crackle of AC power... and then, finally... f-i-n-a-l-l-y, you cue up the song (the one you've been thinking about for weeks now), the song, when played through the best speakers in the world (incalculably better than Apogees) will produce such vivid, tangibly dimensional sounds - they will change your music listening mind-set forever!

"I'm all outta love, I'm so lost without you..."... no, wait... that's probably not it. I'm sure you have that special tune in mind though and I'm betting it rocks resplendent!

OK... time to go watch the inside of my eyelids for a few hours. Have a great weekend!

(p.s. Stewie! - good call!)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
the best speakers in the world (incalculably better than Apogees) will produce such vivid, tangibly dimensional sounds - they will change your music listening mind-set forever!

Right, that's it Todd. You are formally invited round for a listening sess should you make it to Cirencester. Mind you, it's only going to take 2 seconds to forget just how good they were, so it IS all a bit futile.

Nevermind. A mind blown is a mind blown...;)

Incidentally, a pair of Duettas built from new by Graz will cost you $20,000 USD+. Synergy $30,000 USD+. Start saving for the Synergy now. That way when you "know" the error of your ways, it won't take you so long to get yourself what you need:D

Bait, bait. It's all good fun at the end of the day.:)

Latest posts

Back