CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is going to be filthy!! :). Two jl audios the prima lunas and clxs?? Nasty nasty nasty. Are those the Maggie 1.7s in the pic? How did they mate with the dialogues and the jl audios??

Hey Todd,
Nice! My CLX should be here Tuesday at the latest. I also just purchased the Martin logan Depth with the CLX filter. Ill post once all setup.

I also recently had a bad UPS incident with shipping vantage etc.

Awesome! Very exciting times. I thought long and hard about going with a Depth (especially given the CLX filter option), but in the end I chose the JLs. I've heard them in a system that knocked my socks off (yes, literally... no, not literally, but you know). I also like the slave mode function for any system that employs more than one sub.

Anyway, pls feel free to use this thread to share your setup and initial impressions (don't forget the pics)... it'll be fun to compare and contrast as we explore the upgrade.

Cheers

Last edited:
That is going to be filthy!! :). Two jl audios the prima lunas and clxs?? Nasty nasty nasty. Are those the Maggie 1.7s in the pic? How did they mate with the dialogues and the jl audios??

Thanks!

I'll assume "filthy" and "nasty" are used in the same vain as "phat" and "sick"... essentially translating to: "reasonably acceptable" ;)

The Maggies are MG12s (spare pair I usually keep in another system). I'm actually waiting for a cable before I fire up the JLs, so for now, the Maggies are just doing their own thing... they're very listenable, but obviously not plumbing the depths on their own.

I will say that listening to Colby Callait's acoustic version of "Bubbly" with the Dialogues in Triode mode driving the MG12s is pretty effing "stoopid".

Are you using an external crossover such as the Bryston unit and what frenquencey are the sus coming in at??

Are you using an external crossover such as the Bryston unit and what frenquencey are the sus coming in at??

no ext eq as of yet, although I'm giving it some thought... the JLs are not dialed in yet because I'm waiting for the CLXs to arrive.

Hmm, since I know that the CLX boxes are like caskets I can't understand how you will get them up those stairs but I guess you'll solve it somehow, just know that they're HUGE and extremely bulky, tough to make sharp turns with.
Perhaps rent a sky lift and hoist them outside the house and in through a window? :)

Hmm, since I know that the CLX boxes are like caskets I can't understand how you will get them up those stairs but I guess you'll solve it somehow, just know that they're HUGE and extremely bulky, tough to make sharp turns with.
Perhaps rent a sky lift and hoist them outside the house and in through a window? :)

I've been pondering that logistic as well... and yes, I considered the window-penetration method. However, I'll most likely de-cloak the speakers on the first floor, apply a protective layer/blanket to their gloriously naked forms, and employ the assistance of my curiously strong buddy Clark to tackle the climb with extreme caution (read extreme caution with lots of echo). What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

(outside of Metropolis, "Clark" is actually my good buddy Steve who hits the weights regularly and is a pretty darn good guy t'boot)

Attachments

• Clarkwinking.jpg
    Clarkwinking.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 292
I've been pondering that logistic as well... and yes, I considered the window-penetration method. However, I'll most likely de-cloak the speakers on the first floor, apply a protective layer/blanket to their gloriously naked forms, and employ the assistance of my curiously strong buddy Clark to tackle the climb with extreme caution (read extreme caution with lots of echo). What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

(outside of Metropolis, "Clark" is actually my good buddy Steve who hits the weights regularly and is a pretty darn good guy t'boot)

Yes - I did the same with my Odysseys when I got them... The question you have to ask yourself and your buddy.....Are you willing to give up your body.... you know just in case....take one for the team to save the speaker .... :)

One note -- your issue is height there where you make that nasty turn.... although I am sure you know that if you have tried to get a couch or something down it..... good luck

Last edited:
Yes - I did the same with my Odysseys when I got them... The question you have to ask yourself and your buddy.....Are you willing to give up your body.... you know just in case....take one for the team to save the speaker .... :)

One note -- your issue is height there where you make that nasty turn.... although I am sure you know that if you have tried to get a couch or something down it..... good luck

funny you say that because every time I do traverse the "stairs of doom" under load, even though I am hyper-focused on the height restriction, I end up bumping it anyway. Please pray for me (or if not me, at least my inanimate, as yet to be delivered transducers).

And yes... I consider myself a lowly secret service guy with the CLX as POTUS. I would gladly take a bullet - or severe spinal injury as is more likely the case here... just not the face, anything but the face :eek: (although the wife might disagree with that very last plea)

Although you probably will or have figured this out, the CLXs do come in a human coffin sized box that is both heavy and very hard to handle.

If you take them out of their boxes and carry them up or down the stairs make sure the base is always held toward the bottom of the stairs and the top of the speaker is always toward the top of the stairs.

You will have to re-tighten the bolts at the top of the panels either way, when you are done. And then tighten them again after 2 or 3 hundred hours of listening. Unless you listen to a lot of AC/DC then you might have to tighten them in 20 to 30 hours.

Guys... schedule slip reported by my dealer. He should have shipped the speakers last week, but due to some snafu, they are shipping out today :confused:

But didn't someone once say anything really worthwhile is worth waiting for... or something like that?

Anywho, looks like most likely late this week before I am either crushed beyond recognition on the stairway to heaven or, assuming no fatalities, will be ascending to Valhalla. Let us hope the latter.

Necrosuit... the ball's in your court sir... keep us posted!!

Yes, wait until you hear from Necrosuit (Pete). He received some interesting news about shipping also as he called me today.
I am sure he will respond when he gets home from work.

Best,
Bob

Hey Todd,
Well that sucks! the anticipation is killing us all ;)
Heres my day so far:
My CLX are here in my state at the freight warehouse. My dealer called and said the freight company called him and said there is heavy damage to one of the CLX boxes! So now i am waiting for the freight company to get pictures and inspection to my dealer, if the dealer feels the damage is too much he will ship them back:mad:! So I am waiting....
my CLX are the 25th Anniversary that I got a real good deal on, the good news is that if these are damaged they will be replaced with brand new CLX ART'S, bad news is it will take an additional 4-6 weeks! So there you have it. Shipping and freight 1, Todd & pete 0 :eek:

Hey Todd,
Well that sucks! the anticipation is killing us all ;)
Heres my day so far:
My CLX are here in my state at the freight warehouse. My dealer called and said the freight company called him and said there is heavy damage to one of the CLX boxes! So now i am waiting for the freight company to get pictures and inspection to my dealer, if the dealer feels the damage is too much he will ship them back:mad:! So I am waiting....
my CLX are the 25th Anniversary that I got a real good deal on, the good news is that if these are damaged they will be replaced with brand new CLX ART'S, bad news is it will take an additional 4-6 weeks! So there you have it. Shipping and freight 1, Todd & pete 0 :eek:

Well that just effing blows!!! You know, I can see these box-rustlers damaging the little boxes as they toss them to and fro from truck to truck and warehouse to torture chamber, etc... but you'd think the giant boxes would be handled with just a modicum of respect. I have to think the CLX coffins must have the word FRAGILE stenciled across the side in giant black letters ("must be Italian" as Ol' Man Parker would say from The Christmas Story). SHEEEESH!

Well, I really hope things work out for the best Pete! Pls keep us posted as the drama continues to unfold. And of course, I'll do the same.

OK, time for a good stiff drink (or at least a decent hefe-weizzen)
:guiness:

Todd, have you considered getting the services of piano movers perhaps, to help you get those monsters up the stairs? No speaker is worth a hernia or a crushed body part.

Last edited:
Todd, have you considered getting the services of piano movers perhaps, to help you get those monsters up the stairs? No speaker is worth a hernia or a crushed body part.

I couldn't bring myself to watch uncaring brutes lay a hand on (or even near) the hallowed ones. If anyone is going to jam/dent/scratch/drop/scuff/splinter/puncture/pierce/herniate/hemorrhage or otherwise inflict or receive damage, goshdarnit, it'll be me.

Back