CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I read somewhere on this site that you need vertical space to slide off the top cover of the box? Or was it another ML speaker?

Did I read somewhere on this site that you need vertical space to slide off the top cover of the box? Or was it another ML speaker?

I should be OK... the "disrobing" will occur in my garage that has miles of clearance in all known dimensions (probably a few unknown as well). It's then a very short distance to Satan's stairway... but thanks Bernard for considering the logistics.

I'll report back on everything that impedes my every effort :D

My god what tales aof shipping woe!

You guys are making me really glad I had these (almost impregnable) shipping crates made. I couldn't believe it when then turned up. The only practical way in is with an electrical screwdriver as each crate has 14 2 inch screws to remove. The cover is 3/4 inch ply. It took the restorer quite an effort just to get the covers off, even though he was suitably equipped!

The speaker itself is very well protected against drops by the bits of highish density foam and it sits in there like a hand in a glove.

OK I paid £250 for them - but it was money well spent if I ever sell them.

Best to derobe in the garage. The CLX itself is quite light and will easily make it up some stairs. Good luck and I hope they are OK!!!

Ooops - I posted about my Apogees again! Slap!!!;)

Attachments

• crate.jpg
    crate.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 297
My god what tales aof shipping woe!

You guys are making me really glad I had these (almost impregnable) shipping crates made. I couldn't believe it when then turned up. The only practical way in is with an electrical screwdriver as each crate has 14 2 inch screws to remove. The cover is 3/4 inch ply. It took the restorer quite an effort just to get the covers off, even though he was suitably equipped!

The speaker itself is very well protected against drops by the bits of highish density foam and it sits in there like a hand in a glove.

OK I paid £250 for them - but it was money well spent if I ever sell them.

Best to derobe in the garage. The CLX itself is quite light and will easily make it up some stairs. Good luck and I hope they are OK!!!

Ooops - I posted about my Apogees again! Slap!!!;)

Hey Justin... hell, if I owned those ribboned revelations, I too would be posting left and right ;)

As an aside, I owned a pair of unmodded Duetta sigs back, oh, about 8 or 9 years ago. Really enjoyed them. In fact, they were easily the best speakers I owned up till that point (and that's comparing them against the Maggie Tympany 1Ds which were fairly revelatory in their own right). My Duettas went wonky though (both of them) and I decided to bail rather than take a drive down restoration road. I recall how fast and tight they were... pretty much all the same adjectives you've used in various other posts. I can see why you love them to pieces.

And yeah... once the CLXs are deboxxxed, I anticipate minimal effort (with two of us carrying) to get them situated up here in the "interrogation room".

Cheers

Last edited:
LOL USer211! Glad you snuck in a picture of your lovely Apogees!

I saw photos on the net a few years ago where a guy in Germany had his top of the line Apogees broken down and shipped into different wooden crates. Then he hired a crane operator to lift it up and into his studio room through the window. Those things are beasts!

Man Todd!!
Last night I was really hoping to see pics of your CLX all set up!
If you're in decent shape and your weightlifting friend help you out, I'm sure you guys will do fine. I speak from experience... I just wish I could say that the experience was with "my set of CLX" but it was withj just some other items weighing the same :(

Soooo, what will be your first album to play once you get these bad boys set up!

Last edited:
I saw photos on the net a few years ago where a guy in Germany had his top of the line Apogees broken down and shipped into different wooden crates. Then he hired a crane operator to lift it up and into his studio room through the window. Those things are beasts!!

Yup - I read the same story!;) I believe it was a pair of Grands.

I saw this rather nice pair of restored Full Ranges a few days ago. Gimme! Now I hate to say this, but I really do think they'd beat the lovely CLX in the interrogation room!

Are they practical? Of course not. Can you get them up the stairs easily? No way. Are they awesome? Definately!!! It takes a real enthusiast to go down this route...:devil::devil:

ruimte20d7vb.jpg

lhsamplfiercomplement6ue.jpg

Yup - I read the same story!;) I believe it was a pair of Grands.

I saw this rather nice pair of restored Full Ranges a few days ago. Gimme! Now I hate to say this, but I really do think they'd beat the lovely CLX in the interrogation room!

Are they practical? Of course not. Can you get them up the stairs easily? No way. Are they awesome? Definately!!! It takes a real enthusiast to go down this route...:devil::devil:

ruimte20d7vb.jpg

lhsamplfiercomplement6ue.jpg

Gorgeous beyond description... if a tad constrained by that room they're in. The glass (or poly?) outside wings are just effing awesome!

Justin,

Looks like some Levinson amps in the back of the A's.

What the hell are those things in front?

And, if you know, the purpose of the Sony is?

Gordon

Last edited:
Justin,

Gordon

It belongs to Tony Montana, a politcal refugee from Cuba. It's his security monitor, even though the windows are bullet proof. there's also a satellite dish attached to it and a radio with scanners, to pick up flying saucers, stuff like that...those huge things in front of the speakers are fog lights, in case he gets caught in a swamp. Quite a nice setup, but, machine-gun turrets are extra.
I know what he want's next...the world, Gordon, and everything in it!

Thanks Peter.

The set up is visually stunning but, as someone else said, a bit cramped.

GG

Justin,

Gordon

They are what they look like, Gordon - huge great toroids which is part of the Full Range loudspeaker system.

Thanks Peter.

The set up is visually stunning but, as someone else said, a bit cramped.

GG

Well, I'm sure it is the best he can manage given his financial resources.

I asked Graz who they belonged to - it turns out they are Henk's - the Apogee restorer for the Netherlands. Nice work indeed. Ribbons by Graz, of course!:)

Last edited:
I think they are stunning! Who cares about the TV, it's obvious where this guys priorities are.

They are what they look like, Gordon - huge great toroids which is part of the Full Range loudspeaker system.

Thanks Justin.

Sorry but I'm not familiar with AP's and the requisite supporting hardware.

What's a toroid and what does it do? :confused:

Gordon

Thanks Justin.

Sorry but I'm not familiar with AP's and the requisite supporting hardware.

What's a toroid and what does it do? :confused:

Gordon

I think Justin means that they're toroidal transformers (and the the two things behind it are capacitors). Presumably, part of a power supply. (I assume you know what a transformer does--and I don't mean the kind that Michael Bay would put in a movie!)

Latest posts

Back