CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ew.... good luck. I had a horrible experience with a shipping claim shipped by a UPS store for a $1500 item (ended up not getting any money because they would only pay $300 and they wanted the item back despite the fact that I insured for $1200)- I'd hate to see it happen to something like that. UPS Store even packaged the item for me. What a joke.

Last edited:
Horror stories galore... I'm thinking of starting a thread for folks to share/vent their various experiences. Perhaps a virtual prize for "most mishandled/mangled ML speaker" story (with pictures of course).

Think that would work as a stand-alone thread?

not at all... I frequently ship via UPS, so I asked my local UPS store if they could handle freight. They agreed to take the speakers and coordinate with the freight branch of the company (apparently separate from the "small package" division).

My condolances. :-(

Whenever I have a choice, I ship with Fedex. I've witnessed and heard too many UPS horror stories to trust them with high value items...

I was told by someone - maybe saw it on this forum I think - that if you insure for over 10K they handle it differently because of the possible expense of a damaged 10K item....I would think your summit X's were insured for over 10K?? So are we saying that theory is not valid?

ew.... good luck. I had a horrible experience with a shipping claim shipped by a UPS store for a $1500 item (ended up not getting any money because they would only pay $300 and they wanted the item back despite the fact that I insured for $1200)- I'd hate to see it happen to something like that. UPS Store even packaged the item for me. What a joke.

Why did they only offer $300 when it was insured for $1200? I don't get it.

I was told by someone - maybe saw it on this forum I think - that if you insure for over 10K they handle it differently because of the possible expense of a damaged 10K item....I would think your summit X's were insured for over 10K?? So are we saying that theory is not valid?

The buyer requested insurance in the amount equal to what he paid for the speakers... which was < $10K

From here on, I will be respecting the equation... UPS shipping = never again.

Why did they only offer $300 when it was insured for $1200? I don't get it.

It is a long story, really, but here is the very short version. This was a car part that I was giving someone as a partial trade for something else - he owed me $300 on top of getting the part for the trade. UPS asked him how much he paid me for the item and he could only prove that he paid $300 via paypal receipts. Because of that, despite the fact that I could show legitimate replacement values of $1500, they would only pay $300.

Sorry about your negative shipping experience with UPS. I have an aerospace manufacturing company and both ship and receive from UPS daily. In the past 10 years we have had only two problems and UPS paid the insured amount after proper documentation. In one case they later found our product in the garage of a disgruntled employee. We also use FedEx to a lesser degree and have had no problems. I would not hesitate recommending either service to anyone. I would say, hang in there, if you have insured and documented there is hope.

Gary

Sorry about your negative shipping experience with UPS. I have an aerospace manufacturing company and both ship and receive from UPS daily. In the past 10 years we have had only two problems and UPS paid the insured amount after proper documentation. In one case they later found our product in the garage of a disgruntled employee. We also use FedEx to a lesser degree and have had no problems. I would not hesitate recommending either service to anyone. I would say, hang in there, if you have insured and documented there is hope.

Gary

Glad you've had relatively good luck with them... I suppose any courier can have a bad day. There are signs though that UPS, on average, has more bad days than most. I've talked with three different UPS agents on this latest problem and they all seemed confused and a little unsure about how to proceed (apparently because this was a UPS Freight shipment and not a standard UPS shipment)... it's like the two divisions are two completely unrelated companies. Additionally, I shipped a Rel Storm sub to a guy a year or two back but I didn't have the box, so I asked UPS to pack it well and double box it. Guess what, they put it in one box with a bunch of styro-peanuts. Have you ever tried to lift a Rel Storm? They weigh more than a helium balloon. Anyway, when delivered, sure enough, major cabinet damage as it was apparently dropped on one corner. They insisted we research cabinet makers and determine a repair cost. WTF. You'd think I would have learned my lesson then, but no, I'm a apparently a closet masochist.

I feel pretty bad for the guy who bought my speakers. We should know more by tomorrow as to the extent of the damage. I predict UPS will ask us to write a letter (on paper, with a pen) to request some cabinet repair work be done by those nice folks with beards and no mustaches who live in Western PA and ride around in 1 , or at the most, 2 Horsepower vehicles.

Oops, I had not remembered that it was UPS freight and not UPS for your shipping. You are right they are related but are a different company. I have had issues with both UPS Freight and FedEx Freight and so when we have something large we generally go with Yellow Freight or a couple others. Now let me amend my statement to "Sorry and Good Luck."

Gary

Thanks Gary... keeping my fingers crossed that the plastic packing sleeves over the speakers have saved the day.

BTW, congrats on what sounds like a very successful business!

a duet of F112s strafe the building

Not so much a new chapter in the CLX odyssey... more perhaps a tangential interlude. Anyway, the F112s have landed. I know somewhere up above I made some inane comment about how I would wait to get the subs... that was just crazy-talk.

The FEDEX guy, just before unloading, asked "you ready for these monsters?"... and I asked, "are they the big ones (meaning CLX) or the small ones (F112s)?". He replied "Oh I'd say these are the big ones" not knowing I was expecting the CLX delivery any day now. I told him that these were in fact the small ones to which he said "Here, grab a side"... which I happily did.

How I'm going to get the "small ones" upstairs by myself is something I haven't yet quite determined. My next post may be from the ICU... but that's OK, I like luke-warm meatloaf and cold peas... and that orange jello, mmmmm, m!

Attachments

• F112 garage.jpg
    F112 garage.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 325
Looks like Christmas is coming early and often!!

Ho Ho Hooooo oooooh my back! Well, a few vertebrae give or take, whose counting, right?

The subs are in position. However, I'm tired so I'm off to read about a half a page of Bill Bryson's "At Home" before retreating to REM-world (and that's not a knock on his book... I'm a huge fan of Bill's!).

Tomorrow's agenda, dial in the subs and check with my dealer AGAIN on delivery of the CLXs'ses's. Ironically, I placed the JL sub order several days after the CLX, but the subs won the race to Maine. I guess my dealer had the subs in stock but had to order the CLX from ML... so not so ironic after all. OK, now I'm just rambling. Time for a quick nightcap and *poof* - out.

-night all :food12:

Last edited:
Lucky you did not order Gothams. It took 4 guys to carry the Gotham in to the house.

I did not know what they meant when they said,"JL Audio always draws a crowd."

I advise against maneuvering two F112s up a flight of stairs as a solo effort - especially stairs that are difficult to navigate under normal (no-load) conditions. Regardless, the twin thoroughbreds are prepped and idling.

CLX splashdown on Monday - maybe.

Attachments

• flight.jpg
    flight.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 357
  • subs.jpg
    subs.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 361
Hey Todd,
Nice! My CLX should be here Tuesday at the latest. I also just purchased the Martin logan Depth with the CLX filter. Ill post once all setup.

I also recently had a bad UPS incident with shipping vantage etc.

Latest posts

Back