CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By all means freeload a visit to Todd's house, Bernard. But don't listen to his CLX's - cos it'll make you unhappy with your SL3s. Ignorance is bliss:)

Unfortunately we went for the top room at the Prague hotel, so no money left for flights. But should you ever come over here by way of independantly funded transportation, I'll gladly drink the port and consume said cheese.:)

Then maybe, if the port is deemed to be of adequate quality, you can pay tribute/make your sacrifices at the altar of Apogee!

Now whoever said we talk rubbish on this forum???:D

PS Todd did well to stomach the below the belt comment about bass integration. Maybe he is not such a bad chap...:)

Last edited:
Justin, the only thing I would have trouble stomaching would have been no response whtsoever from you :) Also, While I enjoy traveling around the US, I would much rather be able to fly about Europe with little impedance as my UK acquaintances so often do. The word "envy" doesn't really properly frame up my, well, envy. Have a great time in Prague - which I'm confident you will. Please enjoy a Pilsner Urquell - and put it on my tab :)

Bernard, you and your wife are absolutely welcome at anytime, assuming I'm in town (work has had me flying about a fair amount lately). Autumn is especially beautiful in Maine.

and BTW... I personally don't subscribe to the blissful ignorance position. Life is the universe's way of self-actualizing - a method of sampling the widest variety of stimuli the senses can accept/tolerate/delight-in. I say run with that baton for all you're worth until your part of the relay race is up (i.e. death).

And on that note, I bid you bon-chance.

Todd,

I think you'll appreciate this (which you may well have seen before):

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What a Ride!".

Thanks for the invite.

I would much rather be able to fly about Europe with little impedance as my UK acquaintances so often do. The word "envy" doesn't really properly frame up my, well, envy. Have a great time in Prague - which I'm confident you will. Please enjoy a Pilsner Urquell - and put it on my tab :)

Hm... I think to some extent, on balance, you are correct - we in the UK have the positional advantage with regards to visiting a wide diversity of cultures with relative ease/cheapness.

However, the States is vast - Hawaii and South America are much easier and cheaper for you. I'm sure each American state is somewhat different to another one - so as you say flying around it must be some fun.

WRT to Bernard and the CLX - I was just trying to protect the limited financial means he is always making a point of having. Blowing $25K of some CLXs won't help him much. However, I'm sure he is level headed enough to cope with it, surely being one of the most rational and calm members of this forum. In fact, I'm sure if he does show up, he'll just have a damned good time:).

Hey Todd,

we both thank you very much for your hospitality and wish we could have stayed longer! Your house and gear are simply amazing and sounding. Now that I have heard the CLX in a proper room size it has been killing me! I will be doing some Einstein math equations today to try and figure out the best possible triangular modular angles for my CLX in my tiny room to try and get more depth out of them! Pictures of your theater do not do that room any justice and it is simply amazing.
Todd thanks again and I hope to return and have a full day of AV bliss. cheers

Hm... I think to some extent, on balance, you are correct - we in the UK have the positional advantage with regards to visiting a wide diversity of cultures with relative ease/cheapness.

However, the States is vast - Hawaii and South America are much easier and cheaper for you. I'm sure each American state is somewhat different to another one - so as you say flying around it must be some fun.

There are endless intertesting places to visit in the US... from the 3500 mile coastline of Maine (taht's right, 3500) to Big Sur in California, the Road to Hana in Maui, the Alaskan wilderness... and so much more... BUT - other than the natural/geographic history and uniqueness of these places, most of the recorded (settled) human history is fairly recent (i.e. a few hundred years, not counting Native American history of course)... therein lies the most significant difference IMO. Europe's recorded history reaches just a tad further back into the annals of time (I hope I spelled annals correctly ;)

When I visited Luxemborg back in the late 90s, I stepped into a church that was built in 900AD. What an experience - downright religeous. Something you simply can't experience over here. I visited Pisa and marvelled at the architecture. Visited old Abbey's outside Munich... on and on. As I said, envy doesn't really capture it for me.

BTW... on the topic of cost-effective transportation about Europe... watch this in it's entirety if you haven't already seen it. Sure to at least amuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

Hey Todd,

we both thank you very much for your hospitality and wish we could have stayed longer! Your house and gear are simply amazing and sounding. Now that I have heard the CLX in a proper room size it has been killing me! I will be doing some Einstein math equations today to try and figure out the best possible triangular modular angles for my CLX in my tiny room to try and get more depth out of them! Pictures of your theater do not do that room any justice and it is simply amazing.
Todd thanks again and I hope to return and have a full day of AV bliss. cheers

Hey Pete... great meeting you and Bob! You are both always welcome back. Good luck unraveling the mysteries of cross-dimensional access. You need one of those Harry Potter tents where interior dimensions seem to slightly overtake those of the exterior :)

Are you still in NH or now back home?

Cheers.

Todd,

I have been working on the cross hairs and magnetic flow of the earth this morning and what I have found is that just moving my chair a little this way and that has gotten some pretty good results. I think treating the back wall a bit more will play a huge roll here though.

Were back home now...
but i am now looking at cheap projectors and screens...thanks allot Todd...hehe
Is this good for $300 optoma HD70? just looking to do a cheap one now to see if it will even work for me. thanks--P

Were back home now...
but i am now looking at cheap projectors and screens...thanks allot Todd...hehe
Is this good for $300 optoma HD70? just looking to do a cheap one now to see if it will even work for me. thanks--P

Yes... sorry about that. Watching dialed-in 1080P on a 150" cinemascope screen can certainly get those projection HT juices flowing. I've not seen the HD70 in action, but I'm sure it will look fine on a suitably sized screen (keeping in mind it's 720p max resolution). Also, ambient light is a huge factor. Recall in my theater, there is virtually zero ambient light (no windows and a covered door)... I also painted the walls and ceiling midnight blue - all these things help to maximize perceived contrast and brightness.

Keep us posted on your HT progress!

Cheers

Justin, I do intend to visit you sometime, and I'm sure it will be a great time. Thanks for the compliment; I'm here only for the banter. :)

Todd, I found it awe-inspiring when in Vienna to be in the same room as Beethoven once was, though admittedly Beethoven was very recent. You forgot a large land mass north of you that you can also visit, though your point about it being recent compared to Europe is well-taken. However, have you ever visited Quebec City ?

Justin, I do intend to visit you sometime, and I'm sure it will be a great time. Thanks for the compliment; I'm here only for the banter. :)

Todd, I found it awe-inspiring when in Vienna to be in the same room as Beethoven once was, though admittedly Beethoven was very recent. You forgot a large land mass north of you that you can also visit, though your point about it being recent compared to Europe is well-taken. However, have you ever visited Quebec City ?

First, I'll share with you that when I was in Salzburg (also in the late 90s), I had the good fortune to attend a performance by the Salzburger Solisten Ensemble, in the Salzburg castle's concert room where Mozart himself played/conducted the very same program a few centuries earlier. A similar tingling of the spine I'm sure as to what you experienced in Vienna.

And yes, I've been to QC, also Montreal, Toronto, VC-BC, and Ottawa (the last quite frequently as we do a fair amount of business there). All fond memories - even the bone-chilling temps endured during Carnaval de Québec. Très Bien !

All i have to say about Montreal and QC is La Fin Du Monde!!!!! oh and Maudite! some of my all time favs since 1991.

And yes, I've been to QC, also Montreal, Toronto, VC-BC, and Ottawa (the last quite frequently as we do a fair amount of business there).
The next time you're in Ottawa you should come over. I will play you my ML-based system, and I will even cook for you ! Where do you stay when in Ottawa?

The next time you're in Ottawa you should come over. I will play you my ML-based system, and I will even cook for you ! Where do you stay when in Ottawa?

Thanks Bernard... While I haven't been up in a while, I usually book at the Chateau Laurier. I used to be the only field engineer for my company in North America back a decade or so... and thus spent a fair amount of time with what used to be Nortel in Ottawa. That was when we had ~500 people. We're now over 10K people and I spend most of my time these days herding cats and corrupting spreadsheets (versus actually doing anything productive of satisfying). As such, my travels northward have declined significantly, especially since we hired an engineer locally there (he lives right on the river in fact). That aside, I will let you know if I do end up visiting the area - and your invitation is sincerely appreciated!

Out of curiosity, what would be on the menu? :)

tabernac! hahaha. man you guys are really bringing some memories back. Todd we should have a weekend in Canada with Bernard! thats ofcourse if Im invited? I would love to have a Northern ML, beer & poutine session!!

Out of curiosity, what would be on the menu? :)
Todd, the menu would be open to special requests, but what I propose is the following:
Gougeres (cheese puffs), which would be the hors d'oeuvres "course" (aka horse ovaries)
Scallop mousseline with watercress sauce. Unfortunately the Philistines in North America don't sell scallops with their roes (really delicious)
Rack of laaamb with mashed potatoes and veggies.
Salad and cheese.
Chocolate amaretti torte. Deadly if you're watching your girlish figure, Todd.

Of course, if Justin joins us we could do port as well. Hell, we'll do port even if Justin is not there.

tabernac! hahaha. man you guys are really bringing some memories back. Todd we should have a weekend in Canada with Bernard! thats ofcourse if Im invited? I would love to have a Northern ML, beer & poutine session!!
Pete, of course you're invited. I'll leave the beer selection to you as I'm more of a wino.

£1,500 odd flight only fly out one day come back the next. 2 stops each way. 17 hrs odd each way. Hm... that actually is a complete rip off.

You can have a week on Ottawa for less - all quotes from expedia. What's a good hotel Bernard?

Back