CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't 'cuz you'll always wonder.....:confused: And they do sound really nice.

I tried all manner of NOS in the LS 36.5.

Todd,

Why not try a "warmer" cable between your pre and your amps?

Could get you where you want to be for alot less money.

Gordon

Hmmmm... I will ponder this option. Thx

ETA: I was surfing around for analog interconnects, thinking if I do make the change to a traditional pre, I'll need another couple pairs of cables... when what did I stumble upon? This REAL product from "Aural Thrills". The exact embodiment of your suggestion Gordon ;)

active22b.jpg

Last edited:
Can you quantfy "massive" for me in terms of hours? Also, have you really owned hundreds of diff pre-amps? That's amazing and your pre-amp advice credentials are redlining :)

Thanks again!

Dan Wright recommends 300-400 hours to "form" his capacitors. I found 500-600 hours was needed. I was in the high-end audio retail business for over 25 years and yes, I have personally owned several hundred different preamps through the years. I would take Ken up on his offer for the metal base GZ34. Best rectifier I have tried.

More sage advice. Thanks Gordon.

I think what might be lacking (a little) in my current setup is that sweetness I got in spades back when I had the Prima Luna monoblocks and pre-amp.
Todd, why not first try a Prima Luna preamp?

A tube buffer may be the solution, but then you're adding one more link to the chain.

You said that you're thinking of replacing the W4S DAC with a tube pre. Are you going to be using the DAC stuffed in the Olive? Or are you going to buy another DAC?

Todd, why not first try a Prima Luna preamp?

A tube buffer may be the solution, but then you're adding one more link to the chain.

You said that you're thinking of replacing the W4S DAC with a tube pre. Are you going to be using the DAC stuffed in the Olive? Or are you going to buy another DAC?

Hi Bernard,

To answer your last question first, I'll definitely try out the Olive's internal DAC (which has garnered good reviews), as well as the Oppo 93's internal DAC (for SACD playback and streaming). If I find these to be a step backward, I'll re-install the DAC2 and feed it into the tube pre. In this latter scenario, the tube pre would literally become a tube buffer since it would have only one variable level analog input.

To your first question... I guess the answer is "been there done that". I'm always on the lookout for new components and new dimensions (not to get too metaphysical about it).

Thanks for the dialogue (which, btw, was the name of the PL preamp :))

Hmmm... Just wondering -- When you changed amplifiers did you also change anything else? Interconnects, speaker cables, power cables? (Curious minds want to know)...

Sounds like you're still "enjoying the ride."

Hi Len,

When I sold the Prima Luna gear, I sold it all... amps and pre-amp. I replaced it with the DAC2 and the MW monoblocks, so this means I went from analog interconnects (from my source components to the former pre-amp) to digital connections from the sources to the DAC2. I also changed the I/Cs from the old pre to the amps because the old pre only supported single-ended outputs. So I swapped those out for balanced silver ICs (which I've grown quite comfortable with).

Bottom line... I changed all sorts of sh!t from the previous incarnation :)

and yes... totally still completely enjoying the ride. The one thing I have zero urge to swap out would be the wildly amazing CLXs. The bruise under my chin hasn't healed since day one (from all the jaw dropping).

I can totally agree with the jaw dropping CLX experience. Amazing is the word that comes to mind

M.

I think you should buy it. Then you can try my GE 5692 6SN7 Tube - red base from 1956. Absolutely brand spanking NOS.

This old tart has way too much lipstick, laddered stockings and looks way past her sell buy date. But I bet she sings sweetly. Just a few dollars sent my way and she's all yours. Sadly I have no use for her.

Attachments

• 5692.jpg
    5692.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 123
I think you should buy it. Then you can try my GE 5692 6SN7 Tube - red base from 1956. Absolutely brand spanking NOS.

This old tart has way too much lipstick, laddered stockings and looks way past her sell buy date. But I bet she sings sweetly. Just a few dollars sent my way and she's all yours. Sadly I have no use for her.

Between you and Ken, there's an ambarassment of glassy riches to be had. Thank you kindly for the offer. Will def circle back once I decide to pull the trigger. I am expecting a very unfavorable April 15th however this year (tax day)... so need to understand the magnitude of that pending trauma before I spend a few thou on a toy.

Todd,

Do I need to point out that an unfavourable April 15th means that you made muchos pesos?

My point about trying a Prima Luna again was that you said that in essence you missed it. Ever wanted to return to an old girlfriend ? :)

Todd,

Do I need to point out that an unfavourable April 15th means that you made muchos pesos?

My point about trying a Prima Luna again was that you said that in essence you missed it. Ever wanted to return to an old girlfriend ? :)

Given that $1 is about 13 pesos, then I guess you could say "muchos pesos"... though believe me, I'm not in the 1%. More that I just didn't make the quarterly estimated payments that I probably should have in 2011.

On the pre-amp, some past loves should just remain in the past (to remain untarnished forever, or if they were loon-crazy, they should also remain buried deep in the past).

Hi All,

I miss my tubes and I'm contemplating replacing my W4S DAC2 (which I currently use as a pre-amp) with a traditional tube pre. I've been talking to some folks, dealers and friends, and given that I run ModWright monoblocks right now, it would seem reasonably synergistic to consider an MW pre as well. I spoke to Galen Carol (whom I find to be extremely responsive, knowledgable, and an all around great guy) and asked him about MW's LS36.5. His response was that, at significantly lower cost, the LS100 was actually garnering better feedback from tube lovers versus the LS36.5.

I found a black LS100 on Agon (the now detestable Agon) for a large discount off retail and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger.

It's not that I don't think the DAC2 is an excellent piece of equipment, it's just that I gots me that tube itch (hmmm, perhaps not the best way to describe it - but you know what I mean... hopefully). Also, I won't sell the DAC2 right away either. I'll make some comparisons with it in and out of the system (driving the new tube preamp)... and see, or rather hear what's what.

So what do you extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and inherently helpful people all think? Should I pony up the clams and give it a go... or clam up and enjoy the current vacuumless, all-sand signal path...hmmmmm?

Appreciate any all comments (well, the friendly helpful ones anyway ;))

Hi Todd,
Been there done that in the last 30+ years.

I went from a mix of tubes and SS to all tubes to all SS and in the end after having an all SS system my wife asked me what i was missing as she heard me say something was.
I then realized I needed some tubes in the mix and that is where it will stay

Best,
Bob

Justin, why do you guys across the pond call her a valve? Does she help you release bottled-up frustrations? :)

Hi Todd,
Been there done that in the last 30+ years.

I went from a mix of tubes and SS to all tubes to all SS and in the end after having an all SS system my wife asked me what i was missing as she heard me say something was.
I then realized I needed some tubes in the mix and that is where it will stay

Best,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks... yep, that pretty much sums it up for me as well. I think I'm about to pull the tube-trigger (taxes be damned... which for the most part is exactly what they should be).

Haven't been hearing much from you or Pete. Hope all is well.

Cheers

Hi Bob,

Thanks... yep, that pretty much sums it up for me as well. I think I'm about to pull the tube-trigger (taxes be damned... which for the most part is exactly what they should be).

Haven't been hearing much from you or Pete. Hope all is well.

Cheers

Hi Todd,
Many things going on for both Pete and me.

Pull the trigger as you will be happy in my opinion.

Best,
Bob

I think so too. I'm tempted to say all the best systems I have ever heard use tubes/valves. But I can't. Because the best I have ever heard didn't. Trios & basshorns. End of the road in 2012 I'd say. The closest to real I have heard.

Justin, why do you guys across the pond call her a valve? Does she help you release bottled-up frustrations? :)

Humour noted, but just in case it's a serious question: valve is short for thermionic valve. Presumably "therm" from the heater, "ionic" from the ion cloud, and valve as in shut off valve (or tap).

Back