CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Much Len! My wife often refers to me as a "buzzard"... or maybe it's "bastard"... I can never tell with her ;)

Wow, that's all she calls you Todd:ROFL:

38 years of marriage and you can imagine what I have been called::(

Well Saturday I have to go be a carpenter slave to NecroPete ( I like that name) to get him ready for his delivery.

Congratulations on getting your speakers!

Best,
Bob

Wow, that's all she calls you Todd:ROFL:

38 years of marriage and you can imagine what I have been called::(

Well Saturday I have to go be a carpenter slave to NecroPete ( I like that name) to get him ready for his delivery.

Congratulations on getting your speakers!

Best,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks and you're quite right, there are certainly more names flying around here than just those. I think she keeps a spreadsheet to track usage, opportunities, new expletives... etc. And good luck to you and Pete on the room refitting effort. I've heard of people coming out of the closet... but in this case, the whole closet is coming out :)

Cheers

just mucking around with exposure times... attempting to photographically capture the aural glow these things so brilliantly radiate... more work to do, but this at least approximates the intent... (literally captured to the tune of Lyle Lovett's "This Old Porch")

Attachments

• clx exp.jpg
    clx exp.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 266
Prost Todd,

Break out the Weissbier, try Franziskaner
DSCN1518.JPG

Looking good, sounding good, something to grow old with!

Viel Spass!

Fjeff

Prost Todd,

Break out the Weissbier, try Franziskaner
DSCN1518.JPG

Looking good, sounding good, something to grow old with!

Viel Spass!

Fjeff

Prost Jeff. I assume you caught a much earlier post where I called out at least one of my favorite weissbiers, ya? I've had Franziskaner (Hell and Dunkel). I prefer the Dunkel, but tragically, cannot seem to locate it anywhere nearby (I have to be careful to not trip over the Hell... it's everywhere).

Next time you're stateside, and more specifically near New England, let me know and we'll break-out the good stuff (biers and speakers).

Cheers and thanks for the kind comments

Todd how are the WFS Dac and Olive sounding , I am about to pull the trigger on both myself. Is the Dac in the olive as good alone or are you playing it thru the WFS Dac.

Nice picture by the way! thanks for your input.

Todd how are the WFS Dac and Olive sounding , I am about to pull the trigger on both myself. Is the Dac in the olive as good alone or are you playing it thru the WFS Dac.

Nice picture by the way! thanks for your input.

Hey Repman,

The combo (W4S+Olive) is sounding really very, very good and seems to be getting better every day. A lot of things changed sound-wise here when I installed the W4S and then (of course) CLXs. Most of the perceived brightness in this room is now gone (thank god). There's more "there" there (to use an overused not very clever play on words). I did compare the Olive analog outs to the W4S and it took all of one listening session to gleefully choose to keep the W4S DAC in the loop on a long-term basis. Much tighter, far better control, more coherent. In fact, I'll be honest, I'm not sure I really ever was able to truly hear "coherency" or the lack thereof before. I've read it a million times, I know what the dictionary says about it, I imagined I thought I knew what it should be in terms of audio, and even offhandedly used the term myself... but honestly, humbly, never really think I new what "coherency" actually sounded like... UNTIL I installed the W4S DAC2 (prior to the CLX arrival). Now I think I know what coherency really is. It is an alignment from top to bottom of the musical presentation... it is a more focused image... it is MUSIC. My system has never been this musical. Now add the CLX to the mix... really hard to describe how "right" this system sounds now. Inadvertently or not, I believe I've clumsily stumbled into a wonderfully complimentary collection of components. (say that 50 times fast).

Bottom line, I wholeheartedly recommend the W4S with zero reservations. I like everything about it, very much indeed! Now... about the Olive... With the iPhone app it is an absolute dream to operate. Imagine instantly accessing any of thousands of discs, tens of thousands of songs right at your finger tips... ready to go - and not having to dick around with a computer or laptop for song selection, radio station, playlist, etc. (it's almost too good... I find myself occasionally selecting a tune and then not giving it a chance to play before selecting something else. Not something I would have done using physical discs, unless a mistake was made, etc). However, there are certain things about the Olive that I'm less than thrilled about... I think full disclosure is only right here if you plan to pull the trigger. So let me briefly list the pros and cons as I see them and don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or would like further elaboration.

Pros:
Solid Chassis (if almost non-existent feet… though a non-issue for me as I use cones)
Nice back-panel I/O compliment
Nice aesthetics IMO
Sound (via the W4S) à glorious
Wireless function came right up and ran with no setup and no hassles
Internet Radio - works great
Easy HDD backup (although quite manual… would have preferred an auto-backup option via wireless)
General ease of use and responsiveness (via iPhone) is excellent.
HDMI out for monitor option - useful for reading front-panel display at a distance.
CD ripping time… 5 to 7 minutes depending on the CD (not super fast, but OK)
CD reading accuracy… Of over 700+ discs I’ve ripped so far, only one could not be read.
Olive HQ has been fairly easy to reach on the two occasions I called them

Neutral:
Serviceable touchscreen - takes some getting used to (which is why I just use my iPhone)
CD insertion… you need to feed the CD into the slot almost 90% of the way before the mechanism grabs … for the money spent, it seems like they could have crafted a much more elegant transport mechanism.
General ease of control via Olive front-panel of remote is functional but a bit tedious
Olive 4 front-panel screen is not readable (to my eyes) from the listening chair. See HDMI above.
Takes a few minutes for the Olive to wake-up when first turned on… boot time is boot time.
Price… I think it’s a tad high for what you get, but not out of bounds.

Cons:
Won’t play SACD layers (nor was it ever intended to… I just wish it did)
Meta-data manipulation via the wireless connection to a PC is slow and tedious for album editing
The iPhone wireless IP connection seems to have a mind of it’s own at times, but re-connect is easy and fast.

Well… hope there’s some value here for you. Again, just let me know (post or PM) if you want to talk further about either product.

Cheers

Todd , I thank you for a well thought out complete review .

I am now confident that I will be ordering the WFS Dac for sure.

I need to speak to the folks at Olive one last time and your input has addressed a lot of my concerns.

I appreciate the contributions you have made to this site and I enjoy the humorous style of your posts.

I hope you enjoy your new COHERANCE it sounds like you have your system almost where you want it congrats.

Larry

Todd , I thank you for a well thought out complete review .

I am now confident that I will be ordering the WFS Dac for sure.

I need to speak to the folks at Olive one last time and your input has addressed a lot of my concerns.

I appreciate the contributions you have made to this site and I enjoy the humorous style of your posts.

I hope you enjoy your new COHERANCE it sounds like you have your system almost where you want it congrats.

Larry

G'Morning Larry... Glad you found some value. Please keep us posted on your purchasing decisions. If you wish to talk live, I can go into further detail on either component (or anything else in my system of interest). Have a great day!

Soon...

Hey guys,
just got a call from the trucking folks, the CLX will be here in the state tomorrow!
They will call me to let me know if they will open the truck tomorrow or not for me to go pick them up. If not I should be getting them Monday.
tick tock

El Chupacabra

Well, mixed reviews on the silver cables I just received. Surprisingly, initial pre-broken-in sound is more than palatable. An easy, unstrained presentation. Perhaps a little laid-back versus the copper cables I'm comparing them against. I detect not one molecule of harshness or singe to the sound. And I have to assume they would only improve with use. HOWEVER, they ultimately fail due to noise pickup which elevates the noise-floor of my system intolerably. (and yes, I'm being quite anal about cable placement versus power cables, IEC connectors, etc). It is possible that this wouldn't have been such a problem with the Maggies, or most any other low/mid efficiency speaker... but those damnable CLXs are ultimate revealers, for good or for bad. I suppose in a way this is high praise for the other components in the system in that they are not audibly contributing to any perceived unpleasantness... at least I don't think they are :think: I just need to track down some excellent cables with 100% shielding (or otherwise adequate noise suppression).

Good Lord... I hope this isn't the first step in a full-on piece-by-piece system replacement torture-ride to hell and back.

Attachments

• imagesCA7V35JD.jpg
    imagesCA7V35JD.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
I was thinking Todd - is it worth picking up one of the Pass Lab amps in your HT system and giving the CLX's a blast with it - just to see what that combo sounds like? I know I would...

I was thinking Todd - is it worth picking up one of the Pass Lab amps in your HT system and giving the CLX's a blast with it - just to see what that combo sounds like? I know I would...

Interesting idea. I guess I think of my Pass amps as essentially fortified deep within bowels of the HT stack... and removal literally never occurred to me. Plus they weigh a ton and are two flights away and there's a considerable horizontal run as well. However, if I can get my ass in gear and achieve critical mass ("critical ass" - which btw is one of those names my wife calls me... and probably Bob's calls him too) - I might just try that out. Thanks for implanting the concept.

I will say though that I was toying around a bit earlier today with my pre-amp's volume control... playing more of that Wayman Tisdale disc with it's slamming dynamics, crazy bass, etc etc... and the Prima Lunas didn't break a sweat - though the table lamps were dimming during the deep base passages... and yes, I know I should go install a dedicated electrical sub-panel... in time, in time. Anyway, I fully expected a visit from the local constable... but perhaps because the quality of the loudness was so stellar, no badge displaying, notebook flipping, or revolver reaching occurred.

Cheers

Last edited:
Todd, since the DAC has a volume control are you at some point going to try going directly to the power amps ?

Todd - I'd lend you my Rowland 301s and Nagra CDP - but you're such a long way away...;)

Nice looking amps those Rowland's. Bucket loads of power, too. Out of all the amps I've had on the driving side of the Apogees, these drive them to extremely high levels without any sign of stress whatsover. None. Zero. Just loud - extremely loud. But they sound the same as they do at 1/3 of the volume. Just louder.

Good amps - no question.

EDIT: at one stage when using these, we had the volume cranked so high the visible excursion on the ribbons was a sight to behold. I became so concerned I called the refurbisher into the room and asked him if he considered it safe. He said it was fine. I'm not so sure the ear drums of those present were though. Crazy loud without sounding it in anyway, shape or form. Genuinely powerful.

Attachments

• rowland.jpg
    rowland.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Todd, since the DAC has a volume control are you at some point going to try going directly to the power amps ?

I was about to try that today when stupid work got in the way... but I will get to it. I'm actually chasing a little 60Hz hum issue with system somewhat sliced upon for surgery at the moment.

Latest posts

Back