CLX Audition

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinr

Reaction score
I heard the CLX today. Wow!

They were finished in a black ash with the 'Art' frame. The amplifiers were MBL monoblocs with matching preamp. The listening room was huge. I asked for the twin ML subs to be switched off, and away we went...

I'm used to the Theos in a mid sized room. The CLX really surprised me. I was amazed how much they sounded like the Theos - at least tonally. But it was the HUGE soundstage and dynamics that stunned me. It was like listening with a giant pair of head phones on.

And the bass... Who needs a subwoofer? The only other speaker I have ever heard that sounded so big and dynamic in the bass was a pair of Klipschorns! The bass literally shook my insides and there was absolutely no boom or coloration that I could hear.

Okay - maybe if you wanted more extension (not more bass) a very high quality sub or two would add to the experience. The twin Depth i's would have been nice to listen to - but I was short on time.

So, there you go. My mini review, for what it's worth.

P.S. I had a look at the new Montis. They look fabulous in the cherrywood. As I said before, I didn't have time for a listen, but I can just see a pair in my listening room...

Last edited:
Hola. I had been a ML user since long time. My very first experience was in 87 at the SCES in Chicago. I became ML dealer right away and also start to own the CLS model. I was stunning. I tried all models of course, but my CLS did give to me all what I was needing, regarding of the size of the instrument(s) and vocal(s). At that time I was listening mostly LPs. We all know the big advance is recording procedure and how well digital has become. On these days, you can listen to the music, having great sound stage and right in timbre too. Of course analogue is still sounding great too. I went to the CES and Mr. Peter Soderberg talked to about the new model and told me many tech advances that the new CLX had. My heart started to pound listening to this gentleman about it. Finally, when they were available for export, I order a pair. I have a very wealthy customer, and a truly dedicated audiophile. Through this dear friend, I had the luck to listen and spent hours at his place, listening all kinds of electronics, from Mark Levinson, Wadia, Golmund Studio (I own one too), Conrad Johnson, you name it. When the CLXs came, I went to his house and help him to installed them, and listen to them right out of the carton boxes and I said to myself: Wow!!! Now I am another happy user of the CLXs. I do not know if you know this, but when ML showed them the first time at the Munich Electronic Show, two finalist came out, the Grand Uthopia JM Labs, from Focal, made in France, costing around $ 180.000.00 for a pair, and the CLXs. For the first time, the 11 judges voted for the best sound of the Show, regardless of price: The CLXs! So, reading this, and also listening to them at my friend's place, I did start saving until became a proud owner of the CLXs, replacing my CLS. And all what you said is right!. Huge sound stage, right with the size of the instruments, very dynamic, clear as the fresh water, and reveals your weakest link at your system. Right now I am using an AudioLab M DAC, as a Pre amp, The transport is a Bel Canto CD-2, and using interconnect a Transparent Coax. The power amp is an Audio Research model VT-100 MKII, where it is modified at the power supply mostly, and I do like very much what I am listening. I do know that out there are better electronics, but my dedicated room is small and I do not play it too loud, besides, I had tried a lot of different gear, and I am just enjoying my sound. When I want to listen a 5.1 set up, I just do a little changes, and I am also truly enjoying HT sound. Mostly I am in 2 channels mode now. I am rediscovering all my cd collection. On the other hand, I have to recommend to you the Montis Model... as good as my CLXs!. This is to my ears and liking. Happy listening and thanks for your great review of the CLX!

Last edited:
Yes, the very first time I head the CLX on demo I heard something that so left me in awe that it completely undercut every speaker I had owned or listened to. I remember listening to the Last Of The Mohicans soundtrack which immersed me in that time and space.

Last edited:
Thanks, Roberto, for your thoughts and your CLX story. You write very well. I enjoy reading your posts. Peacefulcargo, we are one with our impressions of the CLX.

On my long drive back home, I thought about what I had heard. Firstly, the resolution of the CLX's is the best I have ever heard. This goes beyond just being 'bright'. Some manufacturers dial up the treble to make their speakers sound more detailed than the competition. The CLX's just disappeared. It was as if the performer(s) was right there.

The MBL amplifiers were barely at idle, yet the CLX's were filling the room with wall to wall sound. This bodes well for those who like tube amplifiers. I reckon an Audio Research VS60 power amp with a matching preamp would be a great match to start of with. Obviously the world is your oyster when it comes to tube amplifier choice - the only stumbling block would be the thickness of your wallet!

Now the bass. I can't get the CLX's bass out of my mind. The texture of the bass during my audition was hard to believe. Almost organic in it's nature. I can't understand why most reviewers have mentioned the need for a sub woofer. Why? Do they want to wipe out what is there and replace it with something else that they are familiar with? I am pleased that there are a couple of reviewers that have said the CLX had the best bass they have ever heard, and a sub woofer was not mandatory. I have to say, if I bought a pair of CLX's, I wouldn't purchase a sub straight away. I think the CLX bass is just right, being highly musical and detailed. The addition of a sub would have to be undertaken with great care, otherwise a sub-standard sub (sorry!) would add boom and blur the wonderful texture.

The Montis is starting to firm for me to replace my Theos. Maybe after Christmas (if I can wait that long).

Last edited:
Thanks edwinr!, I wish that I could speak more fluent English. Getting back to the bass issue, I agreed 100% with you. I think that they do well still below 40Hz. This is the reason why the specially made crossover for the Depth I sub or the Descent I sub, the frequency cut is at 40Hz, and I use my Depth I also at this frequency. There are some type of instruments that really go below 40Hz. The first note of a Steinway Piano A musical note frequency is 27.5Hz. Also they open up the image, the sound stage. You get better 3D sense adding the sub. But usually, most sub users are over level, in other words, you have the bass player next to you, than been with the musician(s) at the stage. If you come and see my sub volume adjustment, the knob is pointing number 2.8, not even 3.= (about 9 o'clock). Also, my small room is easy filled with the harmonic texture of the instruments. The strings, like the violin, is the more evident. For the first time, I can stand a digital recording (please, I do not want to start a discussion regarding this statement). I can listen a whole album, as an example, Salvatore Accardo, playing the 2nd Violin Concerto from Nicolo Paganini. This recording is so good on the CLXs, that when the triangle at the 3rd movement is singing, the match of the violin at the same frequency tone as the triangle is amazing!!! I am glad you liked them too. I am not a wealthy person, but I spent over three years saving money to buy them. I had a goal... and made it happened! Happy owner of a pair of CLXs...happy listening!

Roberto, I just read something from ML about how the Depth and Descent have special settings to match with the CLX. This option would certainly make sub and main speaker matching much easier. The sub crossover frequency would have to be set low enough (30Hz) not to interfere with the superb CLX bass, yet add extension only. Perhaps I should have suggested leaving the subwoofers switched on when I heard the CLX's. I had the incorrect idea that maybe the subwoofers would have detracted from the sound.

When I think about it, my REL T2 sub doesn't really detract from my Theos speakers. I roll this sub off at it's lowest setting, being 30Hz. I am very careful about the level settings. I have this sub set only about 25% of it's maximum level, so that it just supplements the lowest bass - around where the Theos starts to roll off. The result is a fuller sound, with more richness and a better soundstage. I can imagine the CLX's responding in a similar fashion, and even better with two subs.

Yup! That's it. I think that adding a little sub bass is right. It is just what it needs, fuller bass and deepest notes, and much better 3 D sound. Regarding my statement of how digital sound is in now days, I have to honor the good sound I am getting through my new AudioLab M Dac. As I said before, I do not want to enter in a debate who is right, and why? Because it is an antagonistic position. But to my ears, it is the very first time that I can stand a whole violin concerto, and my ears are not bleeding. Not only that, it is challenging my LP-12 turntable. I am finding good natural time delay on the piano. Every musical note is lasting and filling my room with the right sense of been there...I have to admit that digital is that good now. I was not, or I did not have perhaps, the right gear to say it. Now I am enjoying all my digital CDs mostly. I took my turntable out of my system, and now I am playing only digital. A sacrilege perhaps saying this, to me, because I never thought that I would say I am enjoying digital sound as I am now. I have to be honest. Digital is that good too. I do not have the mist track, or the tick and pops, and the distortion when the needle gets dirty. I truly think that the M Dac worth every penny. I had previous the Benchmark Dac One, and from this DAC I start to look and listen digital as a good sounding option. I hope I did answer you, my dear friend Bernard. Happy listening!

Roberto, that's a big call regarding digital. I guess I have to agree that digital audio has come a long way. I recently copied my new remastered Beatles CD collection onto my MacBook Pro using Apple Lossless. Comparing the Apple Lossless tracks with my original CDs, I find it is very difficult, although still possible to tell the difference. Using much better quality DACs may make the distinction even harder.

I currently play my CDs through a CEC belt drive player. It features a 2 x Burr-Brown 24/192 PCM 1796 chips which made a huge difference in replay quality when I first bought this player. Now things have moved on a little. I've thought about upgrading my DACs to something from Wolfson. With the CEC I have the option of adding an outboard DAC like you have. Digital has certainly come of age.

Last edited:
Hola Edwinr. Just before I start with my post, I have to make another statement: Music is analogue, and analogue sounds great! And, with all respect, I think it is not the quality of the electronic DACs, of course, better quality, provides it!, but I think it is the software, the way of the digital filtering, and composing back the audio signal is perhaps what I am listening for good with this new software made by AudioLab... Trust me, and seek what this new M DAC is offering. I honestly think that these guys at AudioLab are taking the right path for digital sound, and are offering outstanding quality digital sound. My ears likes it very much. I think too, that sooner, we will be entering in a total new way to do back the digital to analogue signal composition. I had lost many needles, just because our maid wanted to clean my mess in my room. I had told the wife, stay away of my place, but you do know women. Now, I am just listening digital, and enjoying it very much. Many times, I said to myself, I will never will go on digital, I listen too much bad things than good things... well this time is now opposite. I listen more good things than bad things...I have a trick that I think it is helping me to this. I have four Spanish type classical guitars tuned in line, at the right side of my sitting place, and because of music vibration, makes them to sing along softly, but giving a very pleasant natural decay of the piano notes or any other instrument...happy listening!

Last edited:
I think this set up is helping my digital sound a lot!

guitarras 002.jpg

The musical notes decay is more evident now. I had them tuned as follows: first guitar notes EBGDAE second guitar: ECGECG third guitar: EBGDGD fourth guitar: EBGDAD. Yes, I know... I am crazy! Happy listening!

Reading Robert's above post with the CLX pic, I forgot to mention what I thought of the CLX's appearance.

They looked stunning!. At first when I saw the 'Art' design on ML's website, I didn't like it. But in the flesh, they are something else.

I would probably opt for the 'Linear' version though. It's a very personal thing, but I prefer straight lines rather than curves in a structure. Go figure... ;)

Hola Amey01. Your are right!... I should said, trust your ears and also trust me, this is an amazing new product and new approach in the field of digital software. I really like it that much! Happy listening.

I hope I did answer you, my dear friend Bernard. Happy listening!
Roberto, you missed the happy face! I was just having fun. I don't think anyone here wants to get into the analog vs digital debate.

I've been listening to mostly digital of late, and that will continue to be the case until I can afford to refurbish my Koetsu.

Bernard, the analogue vs digital debate is always worth having. :music:

Like Roberto is suggesting though, the goal posts are constantly shifting. As time goes on, I think it's getting more and more difficult to sustain the argument that analogue is necessarily 'better' than digital. I would really like to audition the CLXs again with the subwoofers in play, and the choice of both a good analogue front end, and a good digital front end. It's speakers like the CLX that encourage this debate, because the CLXs can be only as good as the signal it's fed. If the CLXs sounded better with the digital front, then that's the way I'd go.

Last edited:
hahahahahaha, well at least the debate is, and always will regarding of liking! Many of us like the sound of analogue, and others like the digital in now days. All what I said was, (been an analogue freak for many years and still are), that the sound in my system with this new DAC is so good, that I can stand a whole violin cd, without any ear fatigue. I am getting the right amount of bass energy, great sound stage, no image flaws. I also am saying, that digital is not perfect, but analogue is not too. Since there is a mic, we have a compromise. But the new way of digital mixing, and do the digital recording, is getting where digital was not. Now, I can enjoy very much the sound coming from this DAC and it is due of the new software. I think, cables, power amp, and speakers are doing a great job too. Both, analogue and digital are very enjoyable on these days. I do trust in my ears!, you should too. What I do like, not necessary you must like it too. But, as a general rule, the digital sound is getting better, very, is that good!. I thought that I would never will say this. My CLXs are giving sweet sound to my ears. Not harsh, not too bright, not too dirty, not too small, not too nasal, not too unpleasant. Right with the size of the instruments. I am still missing the dynamic of the piano, and the continuity of the cello. The warmth of the strings, and the ambience in general way of speaking. But it is getting there! Happy listening to all!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back